Short calories

Options
bkscott5
bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
I take medication that makes me very sleepy. The last two nights I've slept through dinner and didn't eat all my calories for those days. Thur. I just ate some quick things to get calories in so I was only 200 calories short, and Fri. I was almost 500 calories short. Since I'm only allowed 1200 a day I'm wanting to know if I should just start Sat. like a normal day or do I eat the missing 500 or 700 calories?

Replies

• Blackbird16
    Blackbird16 Posts: 68
    Options
    I'd say start it like normal
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would suggest resume meals as normal - you really don't want to go down the line of restricting calories and then overeating/binging (even if it's unintentional). Just try and keep it balanced, no extremes!
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A lot of people advocate a weekly calorie deficit rather than a daily one so yes, you can .eat the calories you had left over. Other people refer to this as a cheat day. This is where the consciously eat under their calories for most days of the week and then on a 'cheat' day they use those calories on a blow out.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would start like a normal day if it was me personally. Maybe add an extra protein shake or something to help you atleast get more during the day while you are awake or make your meals a little larger during the day in case you do fall asleep before dinner.

I do hope you feel better and can get off the meds soon, being sleepy like that cannot be very good for your overall health. :flowerforyou:
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    oh also to add maybe instead of just eating more food for more calories, try and eat more nutriant dense foods like nuts, avocados, salmon etc and then you'll be getting better quality nutrition.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    couple things:
    first I would eat your missing calories on the weekend if you can. going too long on too few calories will cause your metabolism to slow, your body to start eating into lean muscle to keep running and your mood to go into the crapper!! I'm usually a bit short throughout the week and I use that to be a little less strict on the weekend while maintaining my full week's deficit.

second: you can try eating more calorie dense foods in the morning to get to your goal. My breakfast for example is usually between 400-600 calories (depending on if I go to the gym in the morning and have a protein smoothie) I have oatmeal with a bunch of stuff stirred in. today was peanut butter & raisins, other days its a banana or some strawberries and I always add chia seeds & egg whites to up the protein and keep me full longer.

third (because it must be said) are you sure you're not setting your calorie goals too low? I have mine set to lose .5lbs a week, and I eat back most of my exercise calories and I'm averaging a loss of almost 2lbs a week. I'm 5'2" and started at 189. my calorie intake is usually between 1400-2200 per day depending on workouts and my schedule. Eating properly could also help counteract how tired your meds make you because not eating enough makes you feel sluggish and sleepy (your body slowing your metabolism since you're eating so much less)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would just eat a little bigger breakfast or lunch in anticipation of a light dinner (or no dinner) because eating well under your cal target isn't good for you either.