Topic chock full of non-hotness, enter at your own risk

Options
jlewis2896
jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
Soooo....:blushing:

Does anyone else get gassy and crampy if they don't eat enough?? Random, unsexy question, I know. But I have noticed that if I have a morning where I eat significantly less than my normal amount, I don't necessarily get hungry, but I do get a lot of gas and bloating.

I have no food allergies that I know of, I'm clockwork regular when it comes to the plumbing, and I have no other health concerns that could cause this. But it consistently happens to me when I eat a light breakfast or have to wait 5+ hours between breakfast and lunch.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or fart jokes.

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Unsexy questions are more fun

I don't get gassy I get really light headed...but in the afternoon, after my super healthy lunch..well there are apples, carrots, cheese, yogurt, almonds and then some protein/fiber bar I strategically allow myself to ummmm get less bloated.....when I am walking past certain groups of high school boys that fart all day anyway...they never know its me...or they do and they think I am the crazy teacher that pushes a giant cart with decorative duct tape all over that blows *kitten* in their presence.....
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    Unsexy questions are more fun

I don't get gassy I get really light headed...but in the afternoon, after my super healthy lunch..well there are apples, carrots, cheese, yogurt, almonds and then some protein/fiber bar I strategically allow myself to ummmm get less bloated.....when I am walking past certain groups of high school boys that fart all day anyway...they never know its me...or they do and they think I am the crazy teacher that pushes a giant cart with decorative duct tape all over that blows *kitten* in their presence.....

.......Annnnd you just made my morning. :)
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Gassy, bloated feeling happens occasionally but I haven't been able to pin it to specific times of day or foods. It is most annoying when I go for a run as I can feel bubbles making their way through. I run with my 10 year old son so he thinks it is hilarious if some escapes perfectly times to every stride. :ohwell:
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    Gassy, bloated feeling happens occasionally but I haven't been able to pin it to specific times of day or foods. It is most annoying when I go for a run as I can feel bubbles making their way through. I run with my 10 year old son so he thinks it is hilarious if some escapes perfectly times to every stride. :ohwell:

:) This is why I run with my dog.... I can blame her.

I just wish I could pinpoint WHY it's happening to me... it's frustrating because it's always when I'm in class or working in the hospital and can't get to food right away. Once I eat it goes away.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    HAHAHA you guys just made my morning, thankfully I am the only one here at work so I don't look like i am nuts!!

I do notice that I get gassy when my stomach is empty, not really bloated but yeah gassy... I walk a lot at work so thankfully I am usually walking solo so I don't crop dust past anyones cubical :-)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Yes ...If I skip a meal I tend to bloat up..so bad in fact I can't even stand straight up!!! Butttt I get bloated nd gassy a lot..no matter what I do . Sooooo...ya, pretty gross!! Gas x works wonders, and is never far from me!!
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That happens to me as well...not every time though. When I finally do eat I find the pain gets even worse. Thank god it doesn't happen to me everytime I go too long without eating, because I do that more often than I should haha.
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options
    I used to, and had forgotten about it. This time, not at all. But this time I'm eating very differently from before. No processed foods. No HFCS. No GMOs. No soda, regular or diet. No chemicals, no conventional grocery store food. Just good, clean, wholesome, home grown organic food.

My guts are the best they've ever been.

So sorry, no fart jokes. :-/
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    I used to, and had forgotten about it. This time, not at all. But this time I'm eating very differently from before. No processed foods. No HFCS. No GMOs. No soda, regular or diet. No chemicals, no conventional grocery store food. Just good, clean, wholesome, home grown organic food.

My guts are the best they've ever been.

So sorry, no fart jokes. :-/

LOL. No apology necessary. My eating habits have really slipped back toward the processed stuff. This was a great reminder to me that I need to get myself together. Again.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    this used to happen to me a lot. I also would get lightheaded and dizzy. I realized that I had a wheat intolerance and once cutting out that, grains, and beans, I don't get either of those symptoms anymore! Perhaps try eating a filling, slightly fatty, protein packed breakfast? When I eat a three egg omelet with veggies and some coffee with heavy cream or coconut milk, then I don't get hungry for hours.

Also, to the person with gas all of the time, I used to have this problem pre-gluten free and I thought it was just normal digestion. I rarely get gas anymore, and its usually only when I eat the occasional bean. It can be a symptom of a gluten intolerance. If you don't like your gassiness, it might be worth looking into.
  • erinsghost
    erinsghost Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me a lot - when I ate sugar-free candies or gum. There's a chemical in some of those products that can cause digestive upset, to put it mildly. Mannitol and malitol are the worst offenders.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    oh man if i dont have my meal i get super gassy! i hate it!!! some days people dont want to work with me lol i jsut tell them to fck off im bigger n stronger lol
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    This was happening to me a lot - when I ate sugar-free candies or gum. There's a chemical in some of those products that can cause digestive upset, to put it mildly. Mannitol and malitol are the worst offenders.

Thanks -- I do have coffee every morning and I put Splenda in it. I gave it up for Lent and just used regular sugar, but now I'm back to Splenda -- possibly that is the culprit. I'll have to play around a little bit with it and see!!
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    oh man if i dont have my meal i get super gassy! i hate it!!! some days people dont want to work with me lol i jsut tell them to fck off im bigger n stronger lol

LOL. Maybe if I had your body composition I'd be more comfortable telling people that.

Great job on your physique -- I was so impressed I had to show my husband your profile (he is pretty buff as well, so he appreciates the dedication that you must put into your workouts and nutrition). High five!!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Not sure. open your diary. I always read that broccoli, califlower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage can cause a lot of gas. Any carbonated beverages in your diet?