Knee Injury

Options
aleexFIT
aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
Hi, I took part in a half-marathon last week and the weather conditions were tough. I hurt my knee during the race, I thought it was just "normal" knee pain but on finishing and in the following days it hurts a lot more than I think it should.

With some google diagnosis I think I may have runner's knee, where my pronation is not correct and has damaged the kneecap in some way. I know I probably need to take a bit of time out of running to let this heal.

But I am petrified of putting weight back on and really don't know what sorts of things I could do to replace running in my routine. Swimming is the only thing which seems suitable for cardio right now. Does anyone else have any other ideas of exercise I could do?

Also, has anyone suffered from a similar injury? I haven't been to the doctor or anything, only maintaining a routine of RICE and I purchased a knee support which helps a bit but it still is quite painful.

Replies

• annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    Have you tried biking? If it doesn't hurt, I think it would be ok. Also, lifting weights, if you go heavy enough, burns as many calories as most cardio routines

And whatever you do, don't ignore it and keep running or return to running before it is fully healed or you will end up with a chronic problem. Chronic knee pain is worse than temporarily gaining 3 or 4 pounds
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you tried biking? If it doesn't hurt, I think it would be ok. Also, lifting weights, if you go heavy enough, burnd as many calories as most cardio routines

I have a bike (I am a campus university student) but it wouldn't really be suitable for long biking trips and right now I think even that would hurt my knee. I don't know because I haven't tried but the pain comes from bending the knee, even when really I don't have any weight on it.
  • annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    you should see a doctor
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is my suggestion, take it or leave it.

I suggest going to a sports medicine doctor and have them look at it and see exactly what is going on with it. Google is still working on its PHD, so I would not trust it until after it gets its degree and does a few rotations of orthopedic rounds at Duke.

I injured myself 9 months ago and decided to diagnose myself, rest a little then get back to things. After 8 months, I decided I needed to see someone, but did not want to go to a traditional dr that would give me pills and tell me not to run.

Now I am seeing sports medicine dr who is treating me and allowing me to do the right exercises that will not continue to aggravate my injury and make the healing process longer than it is.

I suggest calling the store that sells running shoes in your area and ask them who they recommend as far as sports med drs go, they tend to know who the best ones in the area are.

Good luck, take care. You only get one body and trust me, if you do not take care of it properly, you will regret it.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: See a doctor!

This may or may not be serious but if it is, you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime of knee problems if you don't get the proper treatment. A small injury, untreated, could lead to a whole bunch of misery down the road. Do it now and save yourself what could be years of chronic pain and surgery (surgeries) in the future,