Anyone achieved anything amazing in 6 weeks?

Options
I have 6 weeks before the wedding of a good friend and I would love to feel good about myself there. I have just seen the photos from a wedding I attended a few weeks ago and feel sick. I really don't want to look like that on 16th June.

I would love to have lost 10lb by then (I'm 144 now, 5ft 4) and i think it would be a huge motivation if I saw some stories from people who have achieved something similar.

The photos of me on my profile in the blue/green dress are from the wedding in April. I have a dress I wore when I was slimmer that I want to wear on 16th June, buty judging by what it looks like on me now, that may be slightly unrealistic!

If anyone has their own '6-week story' they want to share, please do. Similarly, if anyone has similar goals please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *bump* I'm putting together a couple photo collages. Gimme a few minutes.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well just start now and you will look the best you can by then if that makes sense. I wouldn't set calories deficit of more than one pound per week but if you were eating bad before...eating to lose that much might just make a lot of body changes quickly if you exercise
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    10 pounds in 6 weeks is incredibly realistic. if i were you I'd reduce my calories to -~1500 and workout 5-6x a week for 45-60 min a day. Also just begin making healthier choices--drink more water, eat more fresh foods--your skin will glow, you'll minimize bloating, and you'll feel better even if you fall short of your goals.

I'd like to add that MOST people lose a considerable amount of weight the first week or two--so you'll likely only have 6-7 pounds left after the first week UNLESS you've been dieting for a while already.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ok, I went through my photos to find some six week comparison shots, and found a few.

First off, 10 pounds in six weeks is probably not a realistic goal. You're too close to your goal weight to lose that much per week. One or a half pound per week is probably more realistic. But you can make a big impact in those three to six pounds, particularly if you get adequate protein (1g per pound of lean body mass is ideal) and add strength training.

This is from last spring when I was around your current weight, and after losing 4 pounds in 6 weeks. I was at a one pound a week goal, but switched it to a half pound a week when I got to 140 pounds, since it was 10 pounds from my goal weight. At the time, I did cardio only, with a tiny bit of resistance training with 5 pound dumbbells and body weight exercises. (EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation, to be exact.)

6weeks.jpg

In July, I started strength training with "heavy" weights. Heavy relative to me, anyway. Three sets of 8 reps, usually about 2-3 times a week, with cardio on the other days, with 2 rest days. When I reached 130 pounds (about two weeks after the first photo was taken), I switched my calories to just about 100 calories below maintenance, or maybe .25 pounds a week loss, but eating whatever I wanted on weekends. Wasn't quite ready to take the plunge to go on maintenance yet.

Considering I was barely trying to lose, I'm a lot more impressed with this three pounds than the four pounds in the photo above.

6week-front.jpg

6week-back.jpg
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Starting at a BMI of 27 (so I am guessing a bit higher than you) I have lost just under 10 lbs in about 6 weeks (started 22/3/12). This is amazing because I am eating 1500 a day plus exercise cals and I am doing just 20 mins exercise a day (if its longer its a walk and I mean pushing the baby about and window shopping not exercise walking - the 20mins is Shred or C25K) and there have been a couple of rest days and ill days and even a couple of days of blowing it completely.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think 10lbs in six weeks like this was possible cos I just started. I expect the weight loss to stall/slow more now
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you happen to like lean protein, veggies, salad, fruit and yogurt, you could do 2 cycles of the 17 Day Diet. I have been on it for 2 weeks and have lost 7lbs and dropped a dress size. It really suits me, so I don't see any problem keeping with it over the long term. I haven't been 100% slaveish to it - I've had some red wine on a few evenings, but I have kept off the white carbs and candy.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I managed to drop nearly 25lbs my first 6 weeks nd it made a HUGE difference. Take a good, hard, honest look at what you do at the moment and then loko at how you can improve things, even if only for the 6 weeks. Make them the ULTIMATE 6 weeks where you eat clean, drink loads of water, get in plenty of exercise and stay within ALL your allowances and you'll see a good difference. Cut out ALL junk for that period of time and you really will see the biggest difference over that short time. best of luck! :)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    After 6 weeks, I formed a habit of being honest with myself, logging all my meals, eating healthy and exercising. I don't even have to think about doing it anymore, it's just what I do. That would be my success story.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    This was more like 8 weeks for me...I've lost 12 more pounds since the pic on the right. Don't know if it qualifies as "amazing", but I definitely feel like a new woman.

152lbsphotobucketbackview-1.jpg
  • hokirayo
    hokirayo Posts: 36
    Options
    This was more like 8 weeks for me...I've lost 12 more pounds since the pic on the right. Don't know if it qualifies as "amazing", but I definitely feel like a new woman.

definitely *amazing* !!!
    i hate you! :tongue:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Shut the front door! :wink: That definitely qualifies as AMAZING! Great work!!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 23 pounds in the first 6 weeks by cutting my alcohol consumption and lowering my calorie count. Of course, I'm a male, I started at 248 and I walked, mainly, for about 60-90 min/ day. But some things are possible if you drink lots of water, cut sodium, and keep your cals at a 2lb./wk level, you could easily lose a stone in 6 wks., I would think.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    BTW, what weight were you in your main profile pic, because I think you look stunning in that pic?
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    For me it was about 7 weeks and I hit the 20 pound marker. I'm excited to be at about 1/3 of my goal, stick to it, work out and don't be afraid to eat the calories you are allowed and you will be able to do it.
  • MaryMoo0512
    Options
    BTW, what weight were you in your main profile pic, because I think you look stunning in that pic?

That was a few weeks ago so the same weight - it's a flattering angle!
  • MaryMoo0512
    Options
    I managed to drop nearly 25lbs my first 6 weeks nd it made a HUGE difference. Take a good, hard, honest look at what you do at the moment and then loko at how you can improve things, even if only for the 6 weeks. Make them the ULTIMATE 6 weeks where you eat clean, drink loads of water, get in plenty of exercise and stay within ALL your allowances and you'll see a good difference. Cut out ALL junk for that period of time and you really will see the biggest difference over that short time. best of luck! :)

Thank you, that's exactly what I need to do. A few years ago (when my start weight was 10lb lower than it is now) I went on a 7-day residential boot camp and lost 10lb, it was amazing, and that was down to VERY clean eating, VERY low calories and about 6 hours of exercise a day! Not exactly sustainable lol
  • MaryMoo0512
    Options

You look amazing! Well done!
  • MaryMoo0512
    Options
    If you happen to like lean protein, veggies, salad, fruit and yogurt, you could do 2 cycles of the 17 Day Diet. I have been on it for 2 weeks and have lost 7lbs and dropped a dress size. It really suits me, so I don't see any problem keeping with it over the long term. I haven't been 100% slaveish to it - I've had some red wine on a few evenings, but I have kept off the white carbs and candy.

I'm a strict vegetarian (almost vegan) so struggle with the protein side of things! I def need to keep off the sugar and white carbs though!
  • joeynigro1
    joeynigro1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 22 days and lost 13 lbs! 10 lbs in six weeks should be a piece of cake. Be encouraged and get after it! :)