Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Food Combining - does it help?

Hello hello!

I've always been aware of people who commend food combing for aiding digestion. I always find it hard to remember the sequences though [even with nice diagrams and pictures]

Has being aware of good food combinations helped anybody in their weight loss OR fitness?

I'm thinking about using it as a meal guide [though it means being a bit more restrictive in what you and when not the quantities]

Thanks so much, eep.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Hello hello!

I've always been aware of people who commend food combing for aiding digestion. I always find it hard to remember the sequences though [even with nice diagrams and pictures]

Has being aware of good food combinations helped anybody in their weight loss OR fitness?

I'm thinking about using it as a meal guide [though it means being a bit more restrictive in what you and when not the quantities]

Thanks so much, eep.

As for weight loss: Assuming that you are comparing food combining with a free-for-all strategy but you eat the same total amount of food in both cases, then no, it's not going to make any difference at all. From a weight-loss perspective the theory is basically bogus.

As for fitness: If food combining makes you feel better and causes you to perform better, then have at it. This would fall under personal preference. But physiologically it's not going to afford you any hidden benefits.

As for digestion: No idea, doubt it matters but I really don't know.

EDIT: Lastly and most importantly, by choosing a specific pattern of macronutrient combination, you're really, really limiting your dietary freedom because you're placing a restriction on your diet that, for all practical reasons, doesn't need to be there. For this reason I would suggest scrapping the idea entirely. I DO think you should pay attention to how certain foods make you feel, I just wouldn't use any sort of rule system (especially one that isn't going to give you any weight loss advantages).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Hello hello!

Thanks so much, eep.

As for weight loss: Assuming that you are comparing food combining with a free-for-all strategy but you eat the same total amount of food in both cases, then no, it's not going to make any difference at all. From a weight-loss perspective the theory is basically bogus.

As for fitness: If food combining makes you feel better and causes you to perform better, then have at it. This would fall under personal preference. But physiologically it's not going to afford you any hidden benefits.

As for digestion: No idea, doubt it matters but I really don't know.

EDIT: Lastly and most importantly, by choosing a specific pattern of macronutrient combination, you're really, really limiting your dietary freedom because you're placing a restriction on your diet that, for all practical reasons, doesn't need to be there. For this reason I would suggest scrapping the idea entirely. I DO think you should pay attention to how certain foods make you feel, I just wouldn't use any sort of rule system (especially one that isn't going to give you any weight loss advantages).

What Sidesteal said. Food combining is voodoo. Makes no appreciable difference.
  • jenbenster
    jenbenster Posts: 16
    Hmmmm interesting!

Thanks for the reply, it does seem like a lot of extra pressured thought when you're trying to stay disciplined anyway!