What's the deal with no logging a bad day.

Options

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On days I know I went over, I still log it as best I can, but that's not always possible. On those days, I log what I can and put a note on my food page explaining what happened. For instance, this past Tuesday, I nibbled on cheesecake scraps and participated in a wine and cheese tasting. I have NO idea how to quantify what I ate or even how active I was, so my diary reflects that in the notes. I've discovered that I'm finally okay with having days like that...I call it "life" and move on! It's so freeing :drinker:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    only reasons I won't log a day is if I have no idea the calories and ect of the food I eat. Especially at family functions where I just have no idea how to log it. I try and make good choices and don't go overboard, but one day won't hurt if I don't log.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I totally overate yesterday! Went to watch the AVENGERS and had my ritual theatre packet! Hot dog, with popcorn (buttered of course), Milk Duds and diet soda. Over a thousand calories for that alone! Good thing I did a good bout of cardio that morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's exactly what I did yesterday. I also saw The Avengers and couldn't resist the theater popcorn. Then later I ate a lot of candy. I wasn't taking note of how much I ate, so I couldn't log it. But I did exercise yesterday and will again today and tomorrow to make up for it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't consider days good or bad, because it's all just life, but there's days I'm just plain not going to log because I don't want to think about food that much.

I've taken one day off from logging once a week for about 13 months, all weekends and holidays off from logging for about 11 months, and the occasional week or month off from logging sporadically since going on maintenance in October.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. As much as we don't want to see our bad days, we should log everyday. I had the first real bad day last Saturday. Went to Applebees to have their club sandwich and omg it was sooooo bad for you. Like 600 calories and 25 grams of fat. But your only cheating yourself if you don't log EVERYTHING that you eat.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    in the beginning I didn't log bad days, but as I progress on here, I think it is important for me to log it. I can tell you, at Easter, I ate terribly. I was told to log it, but I didnt, because I didn't want to see it. I knew it was terrible, and I wouldn't do it again, but I just didn't want to see how terrible it was. I then told myself to get honest, and log everything from then on. I haven't had a bad day since!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I log the good as well as the bad. If I don't log it, it can become invisible and "I didn't eat it" Don't want that to happen.
  • TheReese1206
    TheReese1206 Posts: 238
    Options
    I usually log everything. Good and Bad. However there are days I just DO NOT have anytime to sit and log anything. The weekends are usually go, go, go! I do not purposely not log though, just forget and do not have time.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I don't take off logging because I know it will be bad, I take off logging when I am on vacation, and try to make good choices, but have fun with my friends and family anyway. I have logged as much as a 3,500-calorie day (my goal is 1600).
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    When I have a REAL bad day, the reason I don't log it is usually because I ate so many randoms at mass quantities that I don't see a use in trying to figure out measurements and serving sizes when I already know I went over for the day:)

^^this. sometimes (not too often) its just too difficult to try to remember & figure it all out.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I'd rather see a horrible eating day of 4k cals than someone who completes there diary eating 800 cals and 8 grams of protein
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    "When I have a REAL bad day, the reason I don't log it is usually because I ate so many randoms at mass quantities that I don't see a use in trying to figure out measurements and serving sizes when I already know I went over for the day:) "

^^^ This for me. Especially when there is restaurant food, take-out food, and/or booze involved.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would rather log a bad day than not - simply because I need to know where I am going wrong. The reason I started with MFP in the first place is because I had no idea how quickly things mounted up. I think if you have realistic goals to work towards then you are less likely to be having bad days anyway.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    At the point where i am now, a ''bad day'' has no impact on me. They happen from time to time because life happen. I am over , no big deal.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think it's because people feel altogether too much guilt about eating anything they consider "bad". I don't believe in "bad" days and "good" days. If I'm breathing and my kids are healthy, EVERY day is a good day! I DO have high-calorie days and low-calorie days, and days where I eat junk food--doesn't make it a "bad" day to me. I feel zero guilt about my food choices, so I just log it and move on. I think the guilt eats at some people, and they don't want to be reminded about over-eating. Honestly, I'm really grateful to finally be free of that mindset, because I strongly believe all that guilt was keeping me fat. I log it all now, and I'm FREE!

you are amazing
  • adamarker11382
    Options
    It's ridiculous not to log a bad day, the reality is no matter whether you document or not you still take in the calories. If you want to accurately assess what you've done wrong and right so you can make changes for the future, it is reliant on actual data.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I log everything even if it is sometimes just the calories because I don't have the other nutritional information.

Mind you I also surreptitiously log food in restaurants.....
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it's because people feel altogether too much guilt about eating anything they consider "bad". I don't believe in "bad" days and "good" days. If I'm breathing and my kids are healthy, EVERY day is a good day! I DO have high-calorie days and low-calorie days, and days where I eat junk food--doesn't make it a "bad" day to me. I feel zero guilt about my food choices, so I just log it and move on. I think the guilt eats at some people, and they don't want to be reminded about over-eating. Honestly, I'm really grateful to finally be free of that mindset, because I strongly believe all that guilt was keeping me fat. I log it all now, and I'm FREE!
    This is spot on! This is the healthy mind set that frees one of the baggage that kept us fat! I log daily to be accountable and so that I don't get complacent about my health as I am in this forever.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't log because I don't want to see it...but like yesterday....I just simply have NO clue what I had and in what quantities! I have no clue how to look up grandma's mini peanut butter cookies, have no clue how many chips I had or how much home made taco dip I had (or how to figure out what it's worth). i just don't know. I could tell you how many beers I had though! lol! Only because it wasn't that many, but I still had a couple! :-) It was a 40th birthday party at my house for my sister in law!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I make not logging a part of my days off (what some call cheat days) so that I can take a break and not become obsessive over logging every single calorie. I want to be able to enjoy food. I do not want food and burning calories to rule my life. Some people don't have that happen, and that's great for them.

I remember, before I started here, I was beginning to count calories. I saw how many calories were in the food I was eating and how much it took to burn some of them from exercise. It made me feel like not eating at all. I started to feel like not eating was easier than exercise. When I started here I found that I had been eating 400-700 net calories a day. It blew my mind to find that I had to eat 2-3 times that in order to lose weight. But, the obsessiveness still crept in. I had to make my meals separate from everyone else's. I wouldn't share even a bite of my food with my kids. Not logging once or twice a week reminds me that I can still enjoy food, that it doesn't control me, that I can still lose weight without counting every single calorie and without worrying about going over my daily calorie goal.