Ideal heathly breakfasts?

Options
Right my biggest problem is that I always skip breakfast so can members please help me come up with some simple and easy ideas for breakfast that are filling and will keep me going all day.......

Not a big fan of cereal but love eggs :happy:

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Right my biggest problem is that I always skip breakfast so can members please help me come up with some simple and easy ideas for breakfast that are filling and will keep me going all day.......

Is there a reason that skipping breakfast is problematic?
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast is 1 hard boiled egg, 4-5 prunes and a slice of Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread with a bit of cream cheese.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Better Oats has these little packets of oatmeal in varieties of flavors, you dump the oatmeal in a bowl, add water to the fill line of the packet, and microwave for a minute. Voila! I'm not a huge fan of mushy food, so I usually add a tablespoon of chopped nuts and some frozen blueberries to it. The blueberries, stirred around, help cool it down really quick.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I love egg sandwiches, big smoothies, protein pancakes, protein oatmeal, fritattas and omelets, breakfast burritos..

and those stupid fake biscuit-egg-fakemeat things from morningstar. I wish I could get over my fake meat addiction. :(
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    A couple of slices of Wholemeal Toast, Dairylea Cheese Spread and some sliced Ham normally does it for me! Followed by a small Glass Of Orange Juice. :)
  • falafelhead
    Options
    A slice of wholemeal toast with one poached or boiled egg, and a portion of fruit.
    :)
  • mommaincharge
    Options
    I like to use white out egg and make it like a omelete, put white cheese, and tofu and then put on fiber flat out bread...it's delicious that's one of my favorite breakfast!!
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Are you pressed for time in the morning or just can't think of food choices?
    You don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods; you just need to eat. Protein and fiber keep you feeling full so there are a variety of choices. For example, salad with meat, an apple, and a yogurt is a balanced meal. If time is a factor, multiple hard boiled eggs can be made the night before and keep for a few days.
    Mark Macdonald's book "Body Confidence" has a listing of foods in the back. You can pick and choose your meals for the week and use MFP to make sure that you remain within your calorie window.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with granola and maple syrup....yum

Steel cut oats with cinnamon, skim milk and a sliced banana, topped with honey...yum

Diced saute bacon and red pepper mixed into 2 scrambled eggs with franks red hot sauce .. yummers:smile:

Thats how I roll
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not and have not ever been a big breakfast eater. I prefer to drink my coffee and about 3-4 hours after waking, then eat something. I've started drinking protein shakes in the morning and depending on which one I'm drinking I may choose to choke down (and I do have to force myself) 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Lots of people have told me I can make a choice to eat -- which I guess I could. It's just not my thing so the protein shakes work well for me.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i do instant oatmeal...like this morning while i work....and sometimes if i get up early in the morning...i'll scramble some eggs and throw in some veggies ..esp. spinach and mushrooms, yum!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Here's one idea: (Sorry about the cut/paste appearance)

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sat Fat Fiber
    Tea - Unsweetened, 8 oz 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Honey, 0.25 tbsp 16 4 0 0 0 0
    Spectrum - Organic Ground Flaxseed, 2 Tbsp 80 5 5 3 1 4
    365 Organic - Chia Seed, 0.33 tbsp 20 2 2 1 0 2
    Spring Valley - Fish Oil Softgels Dietary Supplement 1000 Mg Omega-3 Fatty Acid 300mg, 2 softgel 20 0 2 0 1 0
    Sam's Club Townsend Farms - Triple Berry Blend, 0.25 cup 20 5 0 0 0 2
    Quaker Oats - My Oatmeal Dry, 1/4 Cup dry (40g) 75 14 2 3 0 2
    Bob's Red Mill - Natural Raw Wheat Germ, 1 tbsp. 30 5 1 2 0 1
    Strawberries - Raw, 0.25 cup, halves 12 3 0 0 0 1
    Add Food Quick Tools 273 38 12 9 2 12

And if you prefer yogurt:

Tea - Unsweetened, 8 oz 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Honey, 0.25 tbsp 16 4 0 0 0 0
    Spectrum - Organic Ground Flaxseed, 2 Tbsp 80 5 5 3 1 4
    365 Organic - Chia Seed, 0.33 tbsp 20 2 2 1 0 2
    Spring Valley - Fish Oil Softgels Dietary Supplement 1000 Mg Omega-3 Fatty Acid 300mg, 2 softgel 20 0 2 0 1 0
    Generic - Nicorette Gum, 3 piece 9 3 0 0 0 0
    Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 0.25 cup, unthawed 20 5 0 0 0 1
    Chobani - Greek Yogurt Plain Non-Fat 6 oz, 1 container 100 7 0 18 0 0
    Strawberries - Raw, 0.25 cup, halves 12 3 0 0 0 1
    Bob's Red Mill - Natural Raw Wheat Germ, 1 tbsp. 30 5 1 2 0 1
    Silk - Pure Almond All Natural Almondmilk - Original, 0.15 cup (240 mL) 9 1 0 0 0 0
    Nature's Path - Organic Smart Bran Psyllium, 7.5 g (2/3 cup) 23 6 0 1 0 3
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Eggs are great! I usually use the whole egg because the extra fat from the yolk keeps you more satisfied. Try some on a slice of whole-wheat toast.

My other favorite is oatmeal with fruit and nuts. It's much more filling than normal cereal.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Eggs!
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I normally go for one of the following, which I find set me up for the day and I don't get too peckish before lunch:

Porridge made with 40g Jordan's Chunky Traditional oats, 200ml semi-skimmed milk and a teaspoon of runny honey (311 calories) plus a generous sprinkling of blueberries, half a banana or whatever other topping takes your fancy

One slice Five Seed / Seed Sensation brown bread toast, 2 slices of nice ham & 1 or 2 scrambled eggs (depending on what kind of day I expect to have). 200ml orange juice (321 with one egg + 86 for the orange juice)

40g Kellogs Fruit 'n Fibre with 125ml semi-skimmed milk and a few grapes (250 calories)

Bowl of fresh fruit (a combination of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, kiwi, papaya, melon, passion fruit), small pot 150g Yeo Valley Organic Probiotic natural yogurt and 30g Food Doctor Fig & Cranberry granola (342 calories - can reduce this by only having half the pot or slightly less granola)

I really look forward to my breakfast and work out what I'm going to have while I'm in the shower!
  • 87wendyt
    87wendyt Posts: 3
    Options
    skipping breakfast for me is a problem cos i work in a pub so if i miss breakfast i am just gonna end up eating a load of crap food rather then something sensible
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You could make muffin pan quiches and keep them in the refrigerator. Just grab one in the morning, pop it in the microwave and you're set! There's plenty of recipes online for them and you can add whatever veggies you want.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hardboiled eggs. Some days I add an apple too. YUM!
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try a boiled egg with a piece of toasted multi grain bread
    or
    One piece of toasted multi grain bread with peanut butter and 1/2 banana sliced on it.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I work in a chocolate factory - yes, I know, but I truly can't stand to eat it anymore UNLESS i skip breakfast! LOL One of my favorite, and quickest, breakfasts actually starts the night before. I mix together eggs with thawed frozen spinach, a little reduced fat feta cheese, minced garlic and a pinch of pepper. I BAKE it the night before and cut into portion sizes once cool . The next morning, I just microwave it for a few seconds then put it on a Sandwich Thin or high fiber tortilla and I'm out the door. Micros well, fast in the morning and holds me over for at least 4 hours. I start work at 330 am so this is a no fuss morning start to go with my tea.