Tingling in left hand while exercising

Options
Two days ago while training with my trainer my pinky and ring finger on my left hand began to tingle. I thought it was because of the way I was holding my barbells. Today while running my 5k up hill I experienced tingling again in those fingers again. Me being paranoid thought heart attack. I didn't experience any other sensations other than arm things so probably not a heart attack.. I hope :o). I did not have any arm bands on or anything either. Has anybody had this happen to them? Should I be concerned?

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Are you a diabetic or have a thyroid problem?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    bump, my left pinky has been tingling lately... not sure why
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, that can only be caused by circulation issues, a pinched nerve, or some sort of disease that affects one of those two things. Either way, have a doctor check you out.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Are you on the computer alot, it could just be a pinched nerve in your arm, if you press sometimes too long on that space by your elbow, typically the way your arm may hit a desk while using a mouse, it can cause numbness (tingling) in your pinky and ring finger area.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I am not diabetic and I do not know of any thyroid issues.

I am on the computer a lot. However, I only feel the tingling when I am exercising. could they still be related?
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    My wife's carpal tunnel syndrome would sometimes give her tingling in her pinky and ring finger.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It could still be related. If it continues I would talk to your doctor about it. It really does sound like a pinched nerve.
  • jjbell34
    jjbell34 Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi! Sounds like either Cubital tunnel syndrome or Carpal Tunnel. Have you been doing a lot of strength training lately or repetitive movements?? Do you sleep with your hands above your head? Here is a website on Cubital tunnel syndrome http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069
    I am an occupational therapist and I have seen patients in the past have the same issues. Hope your feeling better soon!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    could be a nerve problem
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Could be heart related.
  • camille108
    camille108 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am not sure what causes it but I notice something similiar happens to my hands when I run somtimes. My hands will seem to fall asleep or go numb...not sure I would describe it as tingling sensation but usually I wll shake them and by the end of the run they feel fine again.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That happens to me, but in both hands when I over-do it. It's been happening for years. That's when I know I better slow down, otherwise I will get light-headed too.