Wiifit and Zumba

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
Hello all!! I am thinking of buying a Wii, Wiifit, and Zumba for part of my weight loss journey. I need to make it more fun and enjoyable.. BUT- I really don't want to waste money. Does anyone use Wiifit/Zumba?! Any results? Or just a way to get ppl to purchase games thinking they can lose weight by consistently using them? Don't attack me, I know weight loss is hard work, keep in mind I still plan on doing my regular work outs too.. I just want a pick-me-up on days I want to stay in.

Replies

• pbaker8307
    pbaker8307 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii and use the Just Dance games and a Zumba game sometimes as my exercise. The dance games are fun and I do them with my daughter. The Zumba game is new and it kicks my butt on the lowest level. They are fun. I wear my HRM while doing these games so I know how many exercise calories to count.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I have a Wii and use the Just Dance games and a Zumba game sometimes as my exercise. The dance games are fun and I do them with my daughter. The Zumba game is new and it kicks my butt on the lowest level. They are fun. I wear my HRM while doing these games so I know how many exercise calories to count.

Ok, so they aren't just lame games to make you THINK you are burning.. they actually burn calories? I have one friend who told me she see's results inch wise, but not anything weight wise on the scale.. which is ok..but I'm heavy and yet to see any real good numbers on that scale..but Inches work for me too haha. I won't complain!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have the Wii, and have done the Zumba and Just Dance. They burn calories, and the Zumba really works your abs and stomach area!! They are a lot of fun and an hour goes by before you realize it.
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    I find the Zumbaa and wii fit amazing! I always burn loads of calories using it, especially the wii fit, which tells you how many calories you burn each session
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Ok. I'm sold HAHA! I LOVE you guys thank you! I didn't want to buy it, use it, and then be like " oh super.. i lost a calorie.. losin' mad weight ova hea!"
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use Wii fit. The workouts aren't very intense, meaning I don't work up much of a sweat. The strength yoga is a butt kicker. I try to get to a 60 minute workout, and generally burn 500 calories; this is according to my HRM. The Wii says I burn half of that.

Good luck!
  • shaynemann39
    Options
    Definitely agree that it helps more with the inches than the scale. I actually have the 7 disc zumba set and I just play it on my laptop but they are a great workout ! and a lot more fun than the jillian michaels videos I was stuck on before...even though she is amazing as well if you can stick to it!!!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a Wii just so I could get the exercise games. I'd only buy the Wii if you are planning on it getting a lot of other use out because that is a lot of money. You could probably find good work out videos for less money. I already have a Wii so I have bought Wii Fit, Fit Plus, and Zumba. I definitely feel like I get a work out doing the Zumba. I also have EA Sports Active for the Wii and it's a good work out too.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Definitely agree that it helps more with the inches than the scale. I actually have the 7 disc zumba set and I just play it on my laptop but they are a great workout ! and a lot more fun than the jillian michaels videos I was stuck on before...even though she is amazing as well if you can stick to it!!!

I tried Jillian last week and I felt so depressed I couldn't keep up! I was in pain 5 minutes in and wanted to give up! SHe is a tough mother!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a Wii just so I could get the exercise games. I'd only buy the Wii if you are planning on it getting a lot of other use out because that is a lot of money. You could probably find good work out videos for less money. I already have a Wii so I have bought Wii Fit, Fit Plus, and Zumba. I definitely feel like I get a work out doing the Zumba. I also have EA Sports Active for the Wii and it's a good work out too.

Well I have wanted one for years anyway.. my boyfriend is finally looking on e-bay for a good deal.. I love Mario so, trust me I will be getting more use out of it than just buying it for Zumba haha!! But I just want to make my work out routines more fun so I don't feel so down on myself. Had a bad couple days!
  • TerraLea
    TerraLea Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Zumba on the Wii!! It is a lot of fun as well as hard work. Just a side note, the dance games are easier on hard floor than on carpet! My feet get tangled up sometimes on my carpet. Now go dance those calries off!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I LOVE my Zumba on the Wii!! It is a lot of fun as well as hard work. Just a side note, the dance games are easier on hard floor than on carpet! My feet get tangled up sometimes on my carpet. Now go dance those calries off!

Thanks lady! Anything helps, ya know!!
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I got Wii Fit Plus and it didn't take me very long to get bored with the exercises on there, I have to say. Some do get my heart rate pumping (like doing the Hula Hoop for 10 minutes) but overall it's pretty low-level, so I'd have to devote 2-3 hours on it to burn the same calories as I would burn in an hour at the gym. I do want to try out the Zumba game still though, like you said, for something to do on the days I want to stay home.
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What heart rate monitors are you guys using? Is this a more accuarte way to track your calories burned?
  • chevvy53
    chevvy53 Posts: 44
    Options
    highly recommend wii fit (plus) fun for all the family !!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I do the Wii fit - not every night as I rotate different things but i like the boxing and the step and it does make a difference. Anything is better than just sitting on the sofa watching tv.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I'm pumped! Now I Need a good HRM! lol
  • momtojoseph
    momtojoseph Posts: 23
    Options
    I love the Zumba for the Wii! It is awesome! The Just Dances are good too. I do not have the Wii fit but my dad does and he loves it!
  • Drendren
    Drendren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you're getting Zumba for the Wii, be sure its the Zumba 2 game you get - its the newest, and has real looking instructors (not shadow images).
    BUT...if you're getting a gaming system just to exercise, you might want to check out XBox Kinect. Zumba Rush for Kinect has more songs than Wii Zumba 2 (the same as Wii plus extras), and you don't have to wear a belt with the controller. Also, the dance games for Kinect are really good too.
    And yes, you burn a LOT of calories doing Zumba!
    Whichever you choose, have fun!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Well I have wanted one for years anyway.. my boyfriend is finally looking on e-bay for a good deal.. I love Mario so, trust me I will be getting more use out of it than just buying it for Zumba haha!! But I just want to make my work out routines more fun so I don't feel so down on myself. Had a bad couple days!

My boyfriend bought me a Wii for my birthday last year, and it came in a bundle set with Mario Kart, 1 controller, 1 steering wheel, 1 nun-chuck, and a gripper thing for the controller. It was $140, I believe. Definitely a great deal, since the Mario Kart game itself is usually at LEAST $40 alone! I think he got it from Wal-Mart, but I remember seeing the same set at Target, as well, same price.

I have the Wii Fit (not the Plus, just the old regular one), and it's fun. It has games on there too, so it's not just all about exercise, which is nice to cool down to. I've never played the Plus one, so I'm not sure how different they are. I have the first Zumba game for the Wii, as well, and I love it! My boyfriend and I sweat buckets by the time we finish a game (we usually play for an hour). And like someone else said, you really feel it in your stomach area! It's really fun. I'd like to get the Zumba 2 game sometime to try it out, as well. Good luck with your search for the Wii! :flowerforyou: