Exercise ball workout tips????

Options
Impulse buy last night at Wallyworld.......bought a 22" exercise ball for $8.00. :happy: I've heard that they can give an awesome core/ab workout if used properly, so I thought "why not" and threw it in the cart. :laugh:
I was shocked at how wobbly I was when I was trying to do the crunch where your butt hangs half off the ball.......had to brace my feet against the couch to keep from sliding off the ball!!

Any tips for getting the best ab/core workout out of it?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have one. It took some getting used to. Try just sitting on it a bit and keeping yourself upright. I sometimes use it at my desk in place of my chair. If you are having trouble with the cruches, move more of you body on the ball for awhile (less butt hanging over) that should help some. Push ups are great on it too.
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    make sure you have the right size. i am 5'6'' and I had to get a 65cm ball.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I USE A BALL AT WORK ALL DAY AS MY CHAIR IT IS GREAT.
    AT HOME I USE A BALL FOR CRUNCHES PUSH UPS . YOU CAN ALSO USE THE BALL WHEN YOU LIFT WEIGHTS.

GOOD LUCK I LOVE USING THE BALL
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    The secret is........practice makes perfect! I do abs/arms/lower back all on the ball. It's great because even when I'm not doing crunches I'm getting an ab workout because you have to engage your abs to stay balanced on the ball. just keep at it & you'll find it gets easier :) Also, keep in mind that you sometimes have to re-adjust your body during the set because the ball does shift some during the motion no matter how good you get.
  • Erin_Weiler
    Options
    I highly recommend checking out some youtube videos regarding exercise ball workouts. You'll find so many new ways to use it that you'll have a new routine for each workout day. Good luck staying "on the ball!" LOL
  • BKNYC
    BKNYC Posts: 1
    Options
    I use it for push-ups too. The best way to do this is to drape yourself (your stomach) on the ball so your arms are flopping in front of you and you are basically on your knees. Then, walking on your hands walk forward so the ball gradually rolls from your belly, down your thighs, and so that the ball is finally underneath your shins. Now do your push-ups.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I have a 22" ball, as I am only 5'2" and that's the recommended size listed for short people like me. Will try it out more this weekend and see what I can do! I'm glad to hear that the ball shifts on everyone - I thought I was just uncoordinated:laugh: :laugh: