Running my first 10k - what to eat?

Options
Hi all, please cane someone advise me...

I am running my first 10k road race tomorrow and it starts at 10.30am. What would you recommend I eat for breakfast? I usually run really early (pre 6am) on an empty stomach. I am not used to eating beforehand and the handful of times I have run later in the day I have often felt bloated from eating.

So what food and at what time to ensure I don't feel it rolling round my tummy while I am running!

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    porrdige is quite nice and light and will keep you full for longer!
  • zeldabgood
    zeldabgood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10k a few weeks ago a bit earlier in the day than you did yours! I ate a few bites of an energy bar and did just fine. I have learned for myself that I shouldn't eat 3 hrs prior to running for the same reasons you stated.

Good luck on your first 10k! Let us know how it went :)
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    if it was me, I'd have some porridge, maybe with some banana about 2-3 hours before. Or maybe just the banana.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    I've never run a 10k before, but I have done several 5K and a Mud run as well. All times I've had luck eating a couple pieces of whole grain toast with jam or pb at least an hour before race start. I too usually run in the early a.m. on an empty stomach, but the toast before race day has worked just fine.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs tonight. Maybe pasta. Light breakfast, juice or a bar before the race.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I ran one this morning and had some oatmeal 1 1/2 before. If if is going to be hot I would recommend drinking some weak gatorade also to help combat dehydration symptoms. I am in Florida so the heat may not be as much of a factor for you. Good luck!!