Is this true? Calories don't matter?

Options
Someone on my Facebook made a post about how they lost weight and I shared some of the differences I've been making in my diet to attain my goals. I ended up talking with someone else on their friends list, which led to this conversation. And note, I do consume full-fat foods on occasion, such as avocados, nuts, etc.

‎JB: @Sarah: Do your body a favor and switch to full fat. Non-fat is a refined food virtually devoid of nutrition. Here's a good article to consider:

http://behealthynow.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/a-tale-of-two-meals/

Me: Yeah, I know full fat is way better for you, in some cases. (or at least low fat!) I'm just doing this while I'm dieting, to save calories.

JB: As is elaborated in the article above that I wrote, calories are meaningless. It's the bull**** of the diet world. I work as a health coach and specialize in weight loss :)

Me: Well, it's helping me right now. I'm just trying to lose 20 pounds or so and I figure it's better than bingeing on Oreos and fast food. Just trying to get my BMI into the medium-normal category.

JB: That's the thing, calories are meaningless by themselves. It's the food itself that affects the body in a physiological manner. 200 calories of sugar will affect the body differently than 200 calories of fat, since sugar boosts insulin, which causes inflammation, and makes the body store fat. Dietary fat helps the body with insulin resistance, is quite satiating, and medium chain fatty acids burn fat.

Me: Okay, well if I start going out and buying full fat everything that will most likely make me put on weight. Especially if I'm not watching any calories. I'm not trying to dispute you or anything, but I know that if I don't watch it a little I'm prone to overdoing/overeating.

JB: Sarah, your choice is your own, but dietary fat doesn't put fat on you. Half of the point behind a high fat diet is that it is satiating. There is not overeating. Calories themselves are meaningless. It's simply a unit of energy.

This is the program I use for my clients:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-Healthy-Alternative/dp/0452285666

The book is short, cheap, and absolutely one of the best I've read (topped only by Nina Planck's "Real Food: What to Eat and Why")

I'm just not sure I agree with any of it. I've done the whole not counting calories thing, intuitive eating, and ate high fat things, and guess what? I still overate. I'm not sure this guy knows anything about eating disorders and things that can trigger a person to binge that leads to yes, overeating and gaining weight. Calories can be important to some people in being healthy, as long as they're kept in a reasonable amount, during weight loss and maintenance. Yes, fats can be good, but anything in excess most likely will lead to weight gain. I don't know...I just thought what he said was sort of questionable.

Thoughts?

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Meh, I imagine it's around the same concept as eating "low carb" and the difference in how the body uses and expends the different macros as energy. *shrug* Do what you feel is best for you. There's no right or wrong way to "diet", there's only common sense: Eat healthy and keep active, simple as that. SIMPLE is the word... not easy. There's a difference lol

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, make it known what you're doing and you'll come across a lot of people who think they know you better than they know yourself.

You know what to do. :smile:
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That article is full of garbage. As soon as I read that excess calories don't make you fat, I shook my head and closed the window. If your friend is basing his knowledge and advice off of that, I wouldn't pay any attention to him.

If you want to read about nutrition from people that back up their work with scientific data, I would suggest checking the following sites:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/
  • xhereinmyheadx
    xhereinmyheadx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That article is full of garbage. As soon as I read that excess calories don't make you fat, I shook my head and closed the window. If your friend is basing his knowledge and advice off of that, I wouldn't pay any attention to him.

If you want to read about nutrition from people that back up their work with scientific data, I would suggest checking the following sites:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

Haha, that guy isn't my friend. I don't even know him. He just popped up on one of my friend's pages. But yeah, I'll take a look at some of those links, thanks!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If calories don't matter, I don't know how the heck I lost this 50lbs.
  • xhereinmyheadx
    Options
    If calories don't matter, I don't know how the heck I lost this 50lbs.

*likes this* since we don't have "like" feature on this board. :P
  • xhereinmyheadx
    Options
    That is incorrect. Calories are the only thing that matters in weight loss. They can say, "watch your portions", "eat low carb,", "do the zone diet ratios" whatever... it's trick to make you eat less calories.

I just can't stand these supposed "experts" just spouting their opinions at me! I didn't even ask for his opinion! If something's working for me, then who is that guy to judge, you know?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    what part of " eat less,move more" is so complicated?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people feel the need to make this **** so complicated.

Body needs energy. You give it energy. You give it too much, it will store some. You give it less than it needs, it uses the stores.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is the calories that matter. You could eat butter, bacon, and cookies and still lose weight (not that I would recommend). Some suggest to avoid fat-free as they often make up for fat with artificial sweeteners and food additives. Also due to psychology, for those not counting calories (well, if this is fat free, then I can eat twice as much!).
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for sure. That being said, a calorie is not a calorie. If your goal is say, 1200 calories a day, and you eat 1200 calories of potato chips a day, yes, you will lose weight. You'll also be quite hungry. The key is to eat a wide variety of things and yes, include the full fat versions. I would rather eat 1 tablespoon of full fat sour cream than 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream. One, it tastes better. Two, there are no weird artificial ingredients in it. Three, the body does tend to feel more full when you eat "real" food as opposed to "fake" man made creations.

That being said, do whatever works for YOU. You're the only one who can judge how hungry you are eating what you are eating.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Calories are dependent on how the body uses them, switching off to a high protein high fat diet only renders about 60% of usable energy from those calories and it also maintains a very steady blood sugar level allowing the body to burn more fat. The body likes a stable blood sugar with low to no insulin spikes. No insulin spike = no fat gain unless you are really overdoing things in the calorie department. I have proven that the theory holds true by experimenting with my own diet to do just that. I was on maintenance level at 2500 cals a day, maintained that weight for about 3 months. I then did the same number of cals but going ultra low carb and then carbing up 1 day a week. I consistently dropped about 1-2 lbs a week doing so despite not changing exercise levels or calories which up that point I would have called bullcrap on the notion. I maintained strength the entire time and saw a change in my waist of 1" over 4 weeks and an additional 0.5" the next 4 weeks. The diet method I used is called carb nite solution and it worked very well for reducing my bodyfat while maintaining muscle. Now for those who say that you will regain any fat loss once you start eating carbs again I would have to call bullcrap on that as well. I did 4 weeks of carb backloading eating a lot of extra carbs post workouts and simple carbs at that. All that happened was that I got much stronger and did not gain any extra fat at all. So My advice is to try it for yourself and see what happens. if you are interested in the diets used for my personal experimentation look up author John Keifer and try out carb nite solution and carb backloading for yourself.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you read the article objectively it has been written around the QUALITY of food one eats - and I can only agree with him 100%
    When I started changing the way I ate it was low fat everything.....did it work - yes it did - but once I started getting smarter, and started reading labels and what I was actually feeding my body I got more an more horrified......

I am now trying to eat as clean as possible - I cook from raw ingredients as much as I possibly can, and I have also turned back to full fat dairy......it tastes so much better, and I just work it into my calorie goals.....I also eat butter and coconut oil.

Through a lot of reading and research - and personal trials I also agree with his premise that fat is not the enemy.....my macro's Carbs 20% Protein 30% and Fat 50%.

Fat and Protein helps satiate the body, so I actually eat smaller portions - but more energy rich foods....

Having said all that I do still stay within my daily calorie targets - which is never under 2000 calories (including my exercise cals) - and I am still on track losing about a pound every week to 10 days.....
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding unpoular I can kind of get what they are saying! If you are losing weight and changing your lifestyle then calories are not everything! They are important but no more important than the other things like sodium, fat, protein etc!! In a good diet all things should be monitored not just one thing! If I go over my claories by eating huge amounts of salad I hadn't planned for I am not going to worry! I am going to say yay me for eating all that veg!!

I didn't read the article they posted because most of them just make me cross at the stupid stupid people but I dod agree to a point! Calories are not everything! They are part of a whole!

Just my 2 cents!
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Well, the FDA requires calories to be listed on the label of all packaged food.

Pretty sure calories matter.

You can get fat on avocados...ask me how I know. LOL
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    They're right about full-fat items but not about calories, if you watch calories even with full-fat items you can lose weight. I myself cannot eat no-fat items because of the chemicals (they make me sick) and margarine is just disgusting (one ingredient away from plastic)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calories are dependent on how the body uses them, switching off to a high protein high fat diet only renders about 60% of usable energy from those calories and it also maintains a very steady blood sugar level allowing the body to burn more fat. The body likes a stable blood sugar with low to no insulin spikes. No insulin spike = no fat gain unless you are really overdoing things in the calorie department. I have proven that the theory holds true by experimenting with my own diet to do just that. I was on maintenance level at 2500 cals a day, maintained that weight for about 3 months. I then did the same number of cals but going ultra low carb and then carbing up 1 day a week. I consistently dropped about 1-2 lbs a week doing so despite not changing exercise levels or calories which up that point I would have called bullcrap on the notion. I maintained strength the entire time and saw a change in my waist of 1" over 4 weeks and an additional 0.5" the next 4 weeks. The diet method I used is called carb nite solution and it worked very well for reducing my bodyfat while maintaining muscle. Now for those who say that you will regain any fat loss once you start eating carbs again I would have to call bullcrap on that as well. I did 4 weeks of carb backloading eating a lot of extra carbs post workouts and simple carbs at that. All that happened was that I got much stronger and did not gain any extra fat at all. So My advice is to try it for yourself and see what happens. if you are interested in the diets used for my personal experimentation look up author John Keifer and try out carb nite solution and carb backloading for yourself.

So you didn't eat protein in your diet or kept it very low?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Calories matter and you do need some actual fat in your diet. As for the information as a whole, take it for what it is worth. There is no perfect solution for everyone so if you think it will work or you want to change what you have done so far then do it. If what you are currently doing is working stick with it. You know your situation. Good luck.
  • deliciouskrill
    Options
    Calories matter for sure. That being said, a calorie is not a calorie. If your goal is say, 1200 calories a day, and you eat 1200 calories of potato chips a day, yes, you will lose weight. You'll also be quite hungry. The key is to eat a wide variety of things and yes, include the full fat versions. I would rather eat 1 tablespoon of full fat sour cream than 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream. One, it tastes better. Two, there are no weird artificial ingredients in it. Three, the body does tend to feel more full when you eat "real" food as opposed to "fake" man made creations.

That being said, do whatever works for YOU. You're the only one who can judge how hungry you are eating what you are eating.

^^ This.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    So you didn't eat protein in your diet or kept it very low?
    I ate fat and protein in a 50/50 ratio blunting the insulin spikes using fat as the main staple for energy on the diet.