Did your hair get healthier too?!

Options
sxyfitmomandwife
sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
I can't belive how much my hair grew and how much healthier it is since I started my weight loss journey. Did your hair get better?? show pics!
beforeandafter.jpg

Replies

• delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing!!
    My hair actually looks worse bc I have to wash it so often after gym/swimming

But yours is so shiny!! How do you do it?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I did the first year and a quarter of my healthy lifestyle on 1200-1300 calories as prescribed to me by MFP and the site I used previously. That wasn't enough for me to be fully healthy, and before that I'd never eaten well in my life. I always had fairly healthy looking, thick hair, but it seemed most of it was on the floor, in the shower, in the kitchen stuck to plates...

My hair has always been prone to falling out. Since I calculated my own calories and increased them, I've been much fitter and healthier - I've got better muscle definition, more energy and...my hair is staying on my head.
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, your hair looks amazing! All I can think of to say is "Ever think about shampoo commercials?" lol.

My hair isn't going to get any healthier than it is right now. I have a bad obsession with dyes and straightening irons.
  • iamnoangel
    iamnoangel Posts: 57
    Options
    My hair is extremley healthy now, I have lost a total of 57 pounds the last 14 has been with MFP, as I found this after I had plateau'd for about a year. When I lost the first 40 or so pounds, my hair fell out by leaps and bounds......but it has recovered and looks healthier than it ever has. Eating a healthy diet has benefits way beyond our size, hair complexion, drops in blood pressure, cholesterol, its a win win situation all the way around!
  • manasunshine
    manasunshine Posts: 130
    Options
    wow ur hair's gotten healthier. mines become worse due to frequent washing after exercising everyday .sometimes twice! =(
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Wow, that's a huge difference with your hair :) You must've been getting more nutrients in your diet. A lot of people actually have more hair problems because of cutting their calories. Your hair looks great :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I covet your hair! :love:

I destroyed mine with over coloring last summer and had to chop a lot of it off. What I have now is happier and healthier hair, though.
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    Options
    Thanks! I'm shocked because I didn't DO anything! I cut it may 2011 because of the horrible damage I flat ironed it today for my fitness photo shoot and I couldn't believe my eyes! I keep it buned and curly because I workout 7 days a week.

Wow that's amazing!!
    My hair actually looks worse bc I have to wash it so often after gym/swimming

But yours is so shiny!! How do you do it?
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    Options
    Really I had no idea.
    Wow, that's a huge difference with your hair :) You must've been getting more nutrients in your diet. A lot of people actually have more hair problems because of cutting their calories. Your hair looks great :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Your hair looks fantastic! It is true that proper diet does affect your skin and hair immensely.

I had lost a baseball-size chunk of hair over my right ear about 5 years ago. At the time, I was eating minimum weight watchers points (so about 1200 calories a day) and exercising hard 6 days a week.

It was horrible. I am a long hair girl, and I had to get it cut so short -- it was a wedge in the back and practically shaved on the right side. I literally cried.

My hair has grown back since then, and since I discovered, about a year ago, that I was eating way to few calories for my activity level, things have really improved. I started eating properly, with much higher protein, and I have lost all the weight I wanted to (15 lbs) and my hair's condition has improved dramatically. I don't have a before pic, but here's my current:

hair.jpg

I do have to wash my hair every day; it has always been extremely oily, and I do workout 6 days.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've always had very long hair that I wash roughly once a week, and it's always looked lovely.
    But since I started working out, I have to wash it all the time and it looks UGLY.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    WOW! Amazing difference! X
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    Options
    Your hair looks great!
    Your hair looks fantastic! It is true that proper diet does affect your skin and hair immensely.

I had lost a baseball-size chunk of hair over my right ear about 5 years ago. At the time, I was eating minimum weight watchers points (so about 1200 calories a day) and exercising hard 6 days a week.

It was horrible. I am a long hair girl, and I had to get it cut so short -- it was a wedge in the back and practically shaved on the right side. I literally cried.

My hair has grown back since then, and since I discovered, about a year ago, that I was eating way to few calories for my activity level, things have really improved. I started eating properly, with much higher protein, and I have lost all the weight I wanted to (15 lbs) and my hair's condition has improved dramatically. I don't have a before pic, but here's my current:

hair.jpg

I do have to wash my hair every day; it has always been extremely oily, and I do workout 6 days.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I have long wavy hair. The main thing I have notice is that it isn't as oily and that I am happy to just wash and go. No more having to dry it and straighten it - I've let go of that for some reason :)

My nails are much stronger though!
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    Options
    Yep, my nails too!
    I have long wavy hair. The main thing I have notice is that it isn't as oily and that I am happy to just wash and go. No more having to dry it and straighten it - I've let go of that for some reason :)

My nails are much stronger though!
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My nails have been breaking off constantly, but my hair is I guess getting somewhat better.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    ... I keep it buned and curly because I workout 7 days a week.

I think that is the ticket right there. I have really curly hair, and before I started straightening it I didn't really know what to do with it. I wore it up all the time and never had a split end until I was 18. Less damage that way, I think.

What an awesome perk, though!
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thats why I love shakology. I've been out for a while so waiting tell it gets here. Hair, nails and skin!
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Really I had no idea.

It's definitely because you are getting more nutrients in :) Because you mentioned your nails are healthier. Maybe previously to your weight loss your diet didn't give you sufficient vitamins and minerals which you are now getting :) Good work!!
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I shower everyday but I only shampoo my hair every other day and I've found I've had a lot less breakage.