NSV - I Never thought...

Options
cessnaholly
cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
Today I ran my first 5k. I ran the whole thing. No shortcuts. No walking. No stopping. On pavement, grass and rocks.

I never in a million years thought I'd be here. I was hit by a drunk driver in 1996 - I couldn't walk without pain for 2 years after that, never ran again, had to quit hockey and tennis. Gained a ton of weight. Bed rest with bad pregnancy in 2006 and 2008 (yes, twice). More weight. Fell and broke both ankles at once in 2009. 2 years of PT. One ankle/foot healed badly - still hurts to run/walk sometimes. Started MFP 1 year ago. Lost 33 lbs or so. Started C25K in January this year. Fell Sunday night and hurt my butt/hips so it hurts to walk. Seriously. :laugh:

With MFP friends, my husband, and my brother encouraging me I ran my first 5k today. That's right. All those challenges and I did it. I did it slowly. I finished dead last. It took me 1 hour and 1 minute.

Everyone promised me that they'd wait for me no matter how long it took. My brother, a police officer and ex-military "ran" with me. By "ran" I mean he tried to run slowly but looked ridiculous because he's like 6'3" and runs at like 8 mph. But he ran right with me at my super slow pace. Not too fast, not too slow. I offered to let him finish at his pace and them come back to get me but he said NOPE! He said today was about my finishing and he was going to stand by me. I watched as other folks took short cuts through the loops. My brother offered me the option. But I said, no. I learned from MFP that the first 5 minutes are the hardest, to watch the horizon and to think happy thoughts. I had my power music on. And I remembered to go my pace - not anyone else's pace. I remembered that I am only against myself. 2 mph it was.

The race folks were so nice, they kept the water stations open until I passed. The little guy in the cart didn't pressure me. He just would ride by every once in awhile, give a big smile and thumbs up. When I got toward the end, one of the other runners came out to run with me to the finish. At the finish line they all cheered, runners, race workers, my husband and my little puppy. They had an announcer guy who encouraged me over the loud speaker. Folks cheered for me. For ME! It was amazing.

Phew - I gotta go put these tired feet up! :tongue:

(OH - and the best part - when I told the guy at the shirt table I wanted an XL, he said it was too big for me and gave me a L - and IT FIT)

Replies

• hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!! I know it felt good when you crossed the finish line :) all that hard work pays off!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! what an incredible achievement! :flowerforyou:
  • piper4596
    piper4596 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing that you didn't let anything stop you. You're an inspiration!
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!! Good for you!! This is the best post I have ever read. I hope this memory and that feeling stays with you for a long time. Congrats!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Way. To. Go!!!!

Its one thing to be quick and athletic and not have any problem finishing a 5k

Its quite another to have all the set backs you've had, and still persevere and push yourself to the very end.

Mad props to you, my friend. Your tenacity and ability to push yourself to your own extreme is *far* more admirable than just being good at running.

You're an inspiration to me. There's other people out there pushing themselves as far as they can go. I'm going to do the same :)

Thanks for the motivation

Keep up the epic spirit.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,846 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing accomplishment, especially considering your recent injury.:drinker: I'm so glad that you got to run.:bigsmile: You have made great strides!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's through life's challenges we find out how strong we really are, and you are one great inspiration! :smile:

Congrats on finishing the 5k and thank you for sharing!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats, amazing NSV.
    You're a real inspiration!
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    On April 21, I told you: "Don't think..DO! You're there, you're ready, you rock, you WILL kick the hills in the butt, you are going to breeze across the finish line with a smile on your face... huddle up...GO HOLLY Go...break."

So today I say... told ya so.

Congratulations, wonderful accomplishment. Be proud of your progress, you rock!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That is Super Fantastic!! You are inspiring to say the least!! Thank you so much for sharing and Congrats on finishing the race!! :flowerforyou:
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your story literally brought tears to my eyes. Great work! And go give your brother a big hug- how great of him to do that with you. You should be so proud!
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Very inspiring!! Congratulations and that is definitely a terrific brother you have! :flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Wonderful NSV :-) Thanks for sharing! X
  • sparkie2bfit
    Options
    Thank you for inspiring me to push through the pain. There is the other side :flowerforyou:
  • mcorange01
    mcorange01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your story has brought tears to my eyes. Such an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing. No matter what the obstacles, all things are possible. So happy for you! :) Awesome.
  • mariam_mel
    mariam_mel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your story has brought tears to my eyes. Such an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing. No matter what the obstacles, all things are possible. So happy for you! :) Awesome.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!