how do you deal with high anxiety minus meds?

Options
124»

Replies

• karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As previously discussed, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy can and does work for many people - it worked for me and I highly recommend anyone with anxiety or panic disorder try it. In conjunction with meds if you like, or without as I did.

I was not opposed to meds but chose not to take them. The first time I had issues with extreme panic disorder back in the early 1980's there were no meds, so I had to search long & hard to find a good psychologist to help me. I had it again in the late 1990's and again about 5 years ago and each time there was no distinguishing "trigger" other than everyday stress. Depression, anxiety and mental illness runs in both sides of my family so I have no doubt heredity played a part in it. I also have mild OCD (obessive thoughts about illness, or dying from a heart attack) and CBT definitely cured that.

To me while meds are very helpful they only mask the symptoms, while CBT can (and did for me) put an end to the racing thoughts, sleepness nights, etc. It may take a while to work and can be expensive if you don't have a health plan (thank goodness I always have), but to me it was worth every penny.

Good luck in your journey, I know it's not an easy one!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I get my Rescue Remedy from the Pharmacy. There are a few different versions. You can take it as drops in water or there's an aerosol version that you just spray onto your tongue. I tend to use it if I start feeling a bit anxious. As and when. Couple of squirts and you're good to go :happy:

There's also a Night-Time version that helps you sleep. Couple squirts of this on my tongue before I go to bed and I sleep like a baby for 8 hours
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sleep is actually when I need medication..or right before so i can actually sleep ( i start to worry when i head to bed and get kept up thinking). Usually my best relief is hard core cardio work out. And Ativan. Just sayin'
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    Medication is only a small fix. It doesn't fix anything, it just lessens some of the symptoms. Doctors prescribe it too quick and keep you on it for much longer then anyone is supposed to be on it. It is meant to be a short term thing, giving you time to deal with the real reasons of your anxiety.

In what way do you have anxiety? Panic attacks? That feeling of anxiety in the body?

You need to
    1) Learn how to relax. Do some form of relaxation exercises every day, whether it be deep breathing, muscle relaxation, meditation, yoga, whichever form works for you.
    2) Figure out what is causing you to have such a high state of stress. The only way to stop it is to deal with that/those problems.

And yes, exercise! It helps your body digest the extra adrenalin that is released. Plus, it also releases the feel good feelings.

Reduce caffeine, processed food, sugar.

If you are having panic attacks with your anxiety, remember that it is impossible for them to harm you, you are just experiencing flight or fight. They suck, but if you can remember that it is much easier to breath through them.

Medication can be the answer for some, sometimes it is easier to just take it short term so you are more able to deal with the issues at hand. But for others, medication is a nightmare, escalating their anxiety and causing horrible side effects. Everyone is different, and what works for some doesn't work for others.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    Oh I wanted to add, do you keep a food diary? If so, keep note of the days your anxiety is bad. It could be due to certain trigger foods or a food allergy/sensitivity.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    gatorgirlyyy Posts: 349
    Options
    I know exactly what it's like to have anxiety. I was on Xanax for years and didn't like taking it any longer so I stopped. Let's just say that was the worst week of my life. I thought I was gonna die.

What I do now when I have anxiety is take Valerian Root. You can buy it at Walgreens or any drugstore.

It's an all natural herb and has been called "Natures Valium".

Look it up. :)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    For the most part, the things that help have to be done repeatedly, you can't expect to get a whole lot out of trying something once. It's about getting your heart rate down, your body free of toxins, and so on, even meditation takes a few weeks of doing it (I repeatedly hear twice a day) before you really start noticing the effect on your daily life. So whatever of these things you are going to try, be sure and give them a real effort. When it comes to taking care of our selves, it's like a puzzle, several things have to go together to work, I believe that's the case most of the time even when taking medication.
    thx. really means a lot that you guys care. last night i tried meditaing outside and i though today i would feel better. idk. usually i just go read a book and try to block myself off, but i know thats not good. thats how i tend to handle most situations. i need to figure out a way to handle, not block. im going to pick up some of that rescue remedy tomorrow. gnc is too far for a trip tonight. hopefully that will help. and i need to excercise more. i will take a long walk tomorrow and see if that helps also. i guess just trial and error. also cut out my tea *sigh. water will have to do. :p also, on the bright side, one good thing i can say about my anxiety: you cant eat all day when your stomach is churning.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Running has become my saving grace! It has positively affected everything especially my anxiety levels. I know it sounds corny, but it is completely true!

''This! Running- Cheaper Than Therapy!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing. Preferably with a heavy bag.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was SO THERE like 6 months ago :/ My anxiety was gettin worse each day cuz I was over loading my mind with stressful situations... And well felt bad bout myself as well.. But NOW! ever since I started working out and I HAVE been doing so for about 4 months now.. I mean the Anxiety is almost gone I have it from time to time but only in stressful situations.. not as much as before and I can HANDLE it this time around I dont feel like I neeeed to run out of a room screaming (< NEVER did that lol thats just how I had felt inside)
    AND I HAVE NEVER NOT ONCE TAKEN ANXIETY/DEPRESSION PILLS CUZ I KNOW, THAT ITS ALL IN THE SELF TO BE ABLE TO LEARN TO CONTROL IT.. Also, yea yoga or running.. any workouts will do, they will IMPROVE it so freakin much for reals!!!!

Im a believer in NO MEDS, for ne thing I really hate meds. I think sometimes its the weak way out u kno...
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Running and Yoga.... both clear my head like I would have never believed.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Any psychiatrist/therapist worth their salt is going to suggest things like exercise, meditation, etc. They're also going to be able to recognize that if you have anxiety/panic attacks severe enough, being on medication is probably your most viable option, in tandem with those other stress-reducing activities. I exercise, meditate, do yoga, eat "clean," etc., but I still require medication to control my panic disorder (as well as some other, equally or more daunting problems). As much as I don't want to be on it, it has saved me from the terrible life I was leading before.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    There's nothing like an endorphin rush. Exercise.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm fairly claustrophobic, and after going to a therapist for awhile we found the solution that works for me (most of the time) is to have my cell phone with me at all times. If I get trapped then I have a way to call for help. Deep breathing and reminding myself "you can do this" with a smile on my face also helps.

I hate taking medication. I don't take anything for headaches, colds, the flu, or anything if I can help it. Unless it is life-threatening otherwise, I refuse to.
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes, if you have exhausted all other methods, then medication may be the only route.

For example, if you do meditate, take part in yoga, journal, see a therapist, exercise daily and eat healthy but you're still finding your anxiety levels way too out of control, then you very well may need medication. I am all for natural cures and holistic medicine, but the truth is, sometimes a Xanax goes a long way.

It could also be the TYPE of medication you're on. For example, I was put on Klonopin for my panic disorder, and that nearly sucked my life out. I felt terrible on the meds. The half life was too long. I had to take them too frequently, etc. I was switched to Xanax, which is just a "take it as I need it". I would love to say I never take it. I CAN say that I take it MUCH less than I used to (I used to take two EVERY night because I literally had a panic attack EVERY FREAKING NIGHT, but now I take one once or twice a week).