Exercise two times a day anyone?

malins2
malins2 Posts: 154 Member
I work out 6-7 days a week and some of the days I work out am and pm. I do very different types of training, and feel great and energized most of the time. But some people I know think it's too much and say it's not good to do that. What do you think?

Replies

• BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    I used to do big cycles to work and back, that was in effect 2 times a day, that was doable.
    Now in a different job, I normally cannot go to the gym b4 work, but have on the odd occasion.
    Maybe because I am not used to it,, it killed, me,
    but when I worked in a gym for 18 months I did weights in the morning after my shift and cardio at night,
    that was well cool.... that worked for me, depends what your job and routine are.
    Everyone is different, what works for you,, ,might not work for someone else....
    go with you gut lol,, b4 it goes away he he.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 430 Member
    I usually work out twice a day as well. I do circuit training in the morning before work and then long bike ride or run after work. I love it and feel so happy and relaxed at the end of the day!

The days when I am super busy and can only do one or the other I feel so weird!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    So I guess I should just listen to my body and mind and do what feels good! Which is what I'm already doing, but had to ask since some people seem to think it's not right!
  • carie1664
    carie1664 Posts: 10 Member
    I too workout 6-7 days a week and often do two workouts per day. However, I have to say, they are not HUGE workouts. I typically do some Turbo Jam or the Stationary bike or maybe a 40 minute fast walk in the morning, then jump on the bike for 20 minutes or maybe a quick strength training work out in the evening. I agree, it keeps me energized and I miss it when I don't do it.

I cannot imagine anyone would think the extra workout would somehow not be good for you......doesn't really make sense. Unless it became obsessive or something and you were to thin? But otherwise I would think it's GREAT!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    sometimes I work out twice in a day, but not as a constant thing, usually if I am going out for a special occasion or something and need an extra burn or when I'm really trying to slim down quick.

I work in a gym now, so I can see myself putting in double workouts more often just because I can.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Its not unusual for me to workout more than once a day. Sometimes I do a cardio at Jazzercise, but also an hour walk, or weight training, or swimming, or Tai Chi.
    i'm retired, so I can take a walk after breakfast, weight train in the afternoon and still take a Jazzercise class in the evening if I want. I do that now and then, but more often I do any two of the above in one day. Sometimes I choose to do two back-to-back Jazzercise classes.
    Its a rare day that I do no form of exercise.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    I believe it's overkill to eo it everyday. Sometimes I will do both strength and cardio If I have time & energy, but I don't always.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I do 1.5 hr workout in the morning, hard workout. After work I walk . Sometimes I do something else as well. Evaluate how your body feels. Are you too tired or sore? Lots of headaches? If you're feeling good and not burning yourself out, you should be okay. But you are the only one who knows how your body feels.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    I used to work out twice a day. My nutritionist got upset with me because I was working out on an empty stomach after waking from a full night of sleep. I stopped working out 2x a day. She couldn't feed me enough and I wasn't losing weight to support the workouts.
    Now I work out 4x a week and I am losing more consistently. I also sleep better and my muscles seem to hurt much less. I'm losing far more inches now than ever before.

It depends on what you want. I'm trying to lose and tone. If you are maintaining and you love to work out.. then do what you do. Feed your body though.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Lunch workout : I do half hour "Warm up" cardio (5K on threadmill or 30 min on elliptical) followed by 30-45 min weights (though I often have to squeeze it into shorter amount by removing hte rest periods--and using opposite muscle group exercises for "rest")

Evenings: I coach kids, I do kickboxing for an hour twice a week, I teach my kids weightlfiting a couple times a week (and lift some weights, mostly its arms workouts, sometimes shoulders, depending on how the week schedule comes out)

Sunday evenings I play hockey, sometimes I also play table tennis in the afternoon.

Lots of two-a-days :)
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    My personal schedule (and attention span) don't allow me to do one big work out a day like somem people do so I guess I work out multiple times a day and everyday of the week, I feel like I wasted a day if I don't. I just work it into my schedule.

Before work I do a 20 - 30 minute really speedy uphill/downhll walk with my dogs.
    At work on break I do a 20 - 40 minute video circuit. Later in the day at work I alternate between doing about 40 minutes of cardio or some weights.
    Night time I do a good 40 - 60 minute fast paced walk again with the dogs.

Weekends I tend to not do as much structure and just find time do a good long walk or play baseball or swim.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    So I guess I should just listen to my body and mind and do what feels good! Which is what I'm already doing, but had to ask since some people seem to think it's not right!

Exactly this! You are the only one that knows what is good for your body. If you enjoy working out twice a day, and it feels good, go for it.

There are days (not very often) when my body wants a second workout and I work out.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Most days of the week, I do two workouts a day but they are very different. The morning routine is a Bodyweight circuit training workout, the evening routine is my martial art practice. It works very well for me.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    If I get in the mood for a double workout I go and I ALWAYS feel better that I was motivated enough to go twice in one day.
    I say listen to your body if it gets to be too much you will know.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    I love when I get two workouts in one day. I try for cardio in morning and weights in the evening or vice versa. I just feel better when I do. I absolutely hate rest days, but I know they are necessary. I say just keep doing what feels right for you, some times people forget everyone is different and what works for them may not work for you.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    I used to.. BUT this last week I tried to just work out once a day, and it seems it worked cause I lost 4.2 lbs =)
    So I might stay that way!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    I exercise several times a day around 15-20 minutes and 1 45-60 minute workout. At the minimum I do 90 minutes a day.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    i wish i could work out twice a day, be grateful you have the time for it!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    I think for me it wouldn't be feasible to work out 6-7 days a week, sometimes working out twice a day.
    My life includes exercise but exercise isn't my life.

I enjoy meeting friends for coffee, art galleries, playing the ukulele, walking my dog, do volunteer work and sometimes oil painting. I just have too many fun hobbies I love to do besides exercising.
  • ashleew1117
    ashleew1117 Posts: 158
    Sometimes if i feel that i haven't worked out enough i will work out twice (:
    I think that it's up to you and if you enjoy working out twice a day then go for it and that you should.
    It's not always about what is right or wrong.
    Just rather if you feel good about doing it (: