when to stop eating for the day.....

Options
Hi everyone....

I have a general curiosity question about when is the best time to stop eating for the day. Some say nothing after 8:00, I know some who don't eat after 7:00 which seems kind of early to me but then I know some who eat as late as they want...which is where I tend to fall most of the time. Anyone know some good reasoning behind a certain time? I truly appreciate any and all information ya may have... knowledge is power and I'm fighting for my health!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Jerri

Replies

• iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    if I'm hungry I'll eat up to 10pm... but not a meal, just snacks.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned it doesn't matter what time of day you eat. Calories are calories. Do what best suits your lifestyle as long as you stay within your calorie allowance.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I snack up until about 1/2hr to an hour before I go to bed, around 9:30.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I once read that it doesn't matter how late you eat. Calories for the day are calories for the day. I'm not an expert and personally I am not usually hungry after dinner. I would just do what works for you.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....

I have a general curiosity question about when is the best time to stop eating for the day. Some say nothing after 8:00, I know some who don't eat after 7:00 which seems kind of early to me but then I know some who eat as late as they want...which is where I tend to fall most of the time. Anyone know some good reasoning behind a certain time? I truly appreciate any and all information ya may have... knowledge is power and I'm fighting for my health!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Jerri

When your calories remaining = zero.
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

When your calories remaining = zero.
    [/quote]

^this
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    As most people have said, time of day is irrelevant. This is an old myth that is exceedingly difficult to kill. :smile:
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I believe calories are calories and it doesn't matter when you eat them. But I have made some personal observations.... I try to have a little something (coffee, juice, ect) as early as I can in the morning to kick start my metabolism even if I choose not to eat breakfast for another hour or whatever. I try to eat balanced meals throughout the day....eating a big lunch means I often eat a smaller dinner, but I hate feeling stressed over what calories I have left at dinner time. If that makes sense. Plus....I feel sluggish for the rest of the day afterwards. I try not to eat too late in the evening as I've noticed my binges tend to take place at night when I think I'm super hungry and I just want to stuff my face. Also, I prefer not to eat at least an hour before bed....I find I don't rest as well.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat 1\3 of my calories around 9pm. Doesn't seem to hinder me. X
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I read just a few days ago (I can't remember the exact source since I read it through Google), but they cited a recent study that suggested more calories earlier in the day is better for metabolism and blood sugar. I didn't like reading that, lol, since I tend to like the majority of my calories at dinner with just a light breakfast, and they suggest you do it the other way around. Either way, I still prefer my heavier dinners, I just try not to eat past 7:30-8pm. By mentally having a cut off point (when I tell MFP my food diary is done for the day), it is easier to avoid snacking when I don't need to.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Preferably before you fall asleep.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think time makes much difference, the last time I eat anything is usually around 9pm, I don't like going to bed if I'm hungry because I can't sleep when my tummy's rumbling lol. I typically just choose a piece of fruit with a bottle of water, it fills me right up and even throughout my anorexia I did this, and I was always losing so yeah I don't believe the time you eat actually matters but that's just my opinion. If you are physically hungry, eat but try to make it as nutritious as possible:)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I generally hear 2 hours before bed, but if you are prone to heartburn, maybe earlier! I've had a snack before bed, but never a meal.
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    whenever, but i dont eat past my calorie limit. I also like to go to sleep at least 2 hours before i go to sleep (i just dont like sleeping right after eating) so I try to finish by 8 just because i wake up so early in the morning
  • truc111
    truc111 Posts: 5
    Options
    I doesn't matter when you stop. You could get up in the middle of the night and have a snack as long as it does put you over your TDEE.

17713838.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    if i'm hungry, then i eat something. period! if i go to bed starving, i'll wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding because my blood sugar has dropped. Eat a small protein snack is my advice. But, everyone is different....you have to do what works for YOU! I'm not into being hungry and ignoring it!
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat clear up until I turn the computer off at bedtime some evenings. It depends on how many calories I have left and if I am really hungry or not. Last night I felt like a bottomless pit. So I drank a HUGE glass of water after I had my strawberries. Was still hungry, had a light string cheese. and then 2 york mini peppermint patties.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Oh, Unless you have trouble with heartburn.... then i would eat something up to an hour before i go to sleep.
  • fitnessfashionista17
    fitnessfashionista17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a specific time that you have to stop eating, but if you stop 3 hours before bed, you will sleep a lot better. I usually brush my teeth once I am done eating for the day so that everything tastes weird after that and I won't want to eat.
    But for weightloss I don't think there is any reason to stop eating at a certain time, it jut gives you a better sleep.
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    7:00pm is my cut off, but I think it depends on your schedule and what calories you have left. I have always heard it's not good for food to sit in your stomach when your sleeping, but if your hungry and it's a snack you should be fine.
    Telling myself nothing after 7pm helps me personally, so I don't raid the kitchen and ruin my day. When I was at my highest weight I would eat more at night then the rest of the day so I had to reverse it to gain control, so far it's been working. Best of luck to you!