Is there hope for thigh gap?

Options
I was wondering, for those of you (women in particular) who have lost weight, have you discovered your thigh gaps? It's not even the aesthetic appeal I'm concerned with, but the comfort aspect. I'd like to be able to wear skirts and dresses without friction. Is there hope for me?

Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on your body type. I know that when I am at an ideal weight my thighs do not touch and I love it. My sister's both have a pear shape and they have to be much thinner than me for their thighs not to touch.
  • ohjoy908
    ohjoy908 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would love to have thigh gaps! i think it mostly depends on you bone structure... like your hips... i've been doing little exercises I found in this article but i'm not holding my breath because i don't think i had them at my thinnest weight. be careful searching thigh gap information online, its easy to stumble on proana/mia sites. http://patsa.wrytestuff.com/swa247180.htm
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I dont have thigh gap but I dont have any friction problems either. I run and walk a lot too so you dont need to see the sun shine through your legs to keep them from rubbing together.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    It think it depends on body type. I'm 5'7", 151 pounds, 24.4% body fat, hourglass body type. and i am very very close to the gap. i've had years of thigh friction and i am happy to report that i no longer have that issue.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have no gap and I don't believe I ever have. Even at the thinnest weight I can remember myself being at, I always had chub rub and it sucked to wear skirts and dresses because I would have heat rash (or whatever it's called) before the end of the day. I've found though that rubbing lotion on my inside thighs or baby powder at the beginning of the day helps to reduce that a lot.
  • gradmonkey
    gradmonkey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, for me lotions and power don't last long, and I have to wear shorts underneath. I'd like to not have to do that anymore. My thighs didn't rub when I was younger (and thinner) so I'm hoping with some weight loss it will get better.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've heard its one of those genetic things, like being able to roll your tongue. If they didn't rub in the past I'll bet you can get the gap.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" and in high school I weighed 99 lbs (it was just natural--I ate all the time) Anyway, at 99 lbs, they STILL touched, so I'm gonna say for me the answer is a big, fat NO!! I think it's genetic, and overrated anyway.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started at 268#s my thighs stopped touching and I had a gap at about 40lbs down;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I dont have thigh gap but I dont have any friction problems either. I run and walk a lot too so you dont need to see the sun shine through your legs to keep them from rubbing together.

Same here. No gap and I haven't had a gap since I hit puberty, even when I was super-skinny. But I'm not going to cause a fire if I wear corduroy, either.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just got the gap back a couple weeks ago! It is fabulous. I would aim to get the gap back!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have always had chunkier legs, even when I was thinner - but when at idea weight I ddidn't have thighs rubbing although I neve had a massive gap either.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'll trade you some thigh gap for some boobs. I gave up trying to get my body to do what I want it to do. Now I just want to be healthy.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have a little gap too....I went on an hour walk with too short of shorts...big mistake!! I don't even have that big of thighs...(20" at widest) and they rub a lot. I literally don't have hips so I think thats my problem. :/
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I never have and I never will. Everyone is built differently. I'm glad you're not asking this from an appearance point of view, because it's really not something you want to get hung up on. Just please, don't make this a "goal." For many women, it's simply unattaintable. Focus on general health and wellness and your body will become its best you.
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How times change. I remember being made fun of several times in high school because of my thigh gap. I don't think mine ever went away even at my heaviest weight. That's just not really where I gain much. I think it probably is true that a lot of it is genetic.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My thighs are 23 inches at the largest point and I have thigh gap! Think it's cos I have really wide hips?! I used to have the whole thighs chafing together thing when I was younger and it sucks, you don't need a thigh gap like a model to combat this though!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just remembered this -- when I started rollerblading a lot my inner thighs were ridiculous toned and that's the first time I ever noticed I had a thigh gap. I know you can't choose where the fat falls off, but if you work the muscles in an area they might tone up (under the fat of course) and make the area look slimmer. Just saying.... might work
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Totally genetic.
    I saw an xray of two different womens hips next to each other, one had *way* more room between her legs than the other (sounds weird when I put it that way... but it just showed the skeleton, lol).

I wish I had saved the pic to refer to later.
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks guys, for me lotions and power don't last long, and I have to wear shorts underneath. I'd like to not have to do that anymore. My thighs didn't rub when I was younger (and thinner) so I'm hoping with some weight loss it will get better.

I use deodorant instead of lotions or powders when I have to wear a skirt or dress. They don't absorb into your skin as well as lotions and it's a lot easier to apply than powder, but it still reduces friction. Also works wonders for shoes that rub against your feet! :laugh:
    I'm hoping to get rid of my thunder thighs, but I'm afraid that genetics are going to work against me on this one. My mom is pretty thin, but she doesn't have a thigh gap.