Oatmeal...is confusing me ; )

Options
2»

Replies

• nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think what is meant by dry and wet is water has no calories so the nutrition info is the same for before and after cooking.

Depending on amount, oatmeal with milk will add an average extra 50 calories.
  • suziezumbo
    suziezumbo Posts: 4
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1/2 cup uncooked (40 g)
    Servings Per Container: about 30
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 150

per Quaker's website/label......uncooked. Which means dry.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify my original question. I measured out 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, eyeballed what I thought was a good amount of water, added it to MFP diary, went back to eat it and realized I now had a cup of oatmeal due to cooking and wondered if I could eat the whole thing or just half...that was all
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, Hula, I totally got your question. :-)

This thread makes me laugh and cry in roughly equal measure. (Which do you think burns more calories?)
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

This thread makes me laugh and cry in roughly equal measure. (Which do you think burns more calories?)

Bahahahahaha! Both burn equal calories. Muscle confusion!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am glad I cannot stand Oatmeal.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

Crying depletes the body of excess sodium, so it has to be the preferred option.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It should be dry, why would they put the nutritional information of cooked pasta, oatmeal, rice, noodles, etc. without knowing how much liquid you are going to use? It would also be a waste of food, unless you stored it somewhere for another day. You would have to scoop out the amount afterwards which would be silly...

Just weigh it dry and you will get the correct serving amount it says on the packet unless it says 'cooked servings' or something... It's not rocket science...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    ok lets look at the nutrition facts of the ingredients added into the "pot" to cook a recipe

oats: 130 (or whatever amount it is)
    water: 0

total calories: 130

There ya go. Unless you added any other ingredient to the "pot" then the calorie on the box for dry is the same as when its cooked. The reason its three times the size is because reacted with water and heat the aots soak up the water increasing in size.

Edit: Try adding some honey and a pinch of salt when cooking. DELICIOUS STUFF!!