beets - any ideas?

Veracruz4
Veracruz4 Posts: 22
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have any good recipes or ideas for eating beets? A friend gave me some but it's not a vegetable I'm very familiar with.

Thanks!

Replies

• beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    You can simply cut into pieces and boil till soft (like potatoes), then serve with a little butter, salt & pepper. You can also have them cold on salads.
    Another way to cook - better for winter/fall - is to roast them. Cut into pieces, toss with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, then put in a hot ~425 deg oven, stir occasionally until soft.

Enjoy!
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    I like beets. they are sweet, like a carrot. They are in the same family. i like them in the can, i haven't really eaten fresh ones. but i like them with a little butter. maybe just some sweetner to sweeten them up a bit .

hope this helps
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    I had this raw beet salad. You take a peeler and peel into strips (as thin as possible) and make a honey lemon dressing. It is very refreshing.
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    I *LOVE* beets! I roast them. I wash them, then wrap them individually infoil. Heat the oven to 375, place the foil wrapped beets in the oven, and roast for about an hour. (You want the beets to be tender when pooked with a fork.) Let them cool enough to handle. The peels will come off super easy (you may want to weat rubber gloves and an apron so as not to stain yourself with beet juice). Cut them into chunks and eat! They are delicious and require no added oil, salt, or anything else.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    I like them pickled or in borscht. Borscht is like a potato soup except you use beets, plus any other spring veggies you like - onions, new potatoes, green peas, beans, carrots.... I use vegetarian soup stock (don't tell my M-I-L:noway: ) and season to taste with a bit of vinegar and sugar.

Traditionally you put a dollop of sour cream on each bowl of soup, but you can use fat free sour cream or skip it if you don't like the taste.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    3/4 pound beets
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    4 cups safflower or vegetable oil for deep-frying
    Nutrition InfoPer Serving

Calories: 261 kcal
    Carbohydrates: 15 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2 g
    Fat: 22 g
    Protein: 1 g
    Sugars: 5 g