Who Out There Loses Weight Without the Exercise

Options
Hi!

So, I'm 5'4, 162 lbs, and this is my first post and first day on MFP. I randomly found this program on my iPhone as an app while at my work. I work infront of a computer at a desk job on long hours (50-76 hrs a week). I'm wondering who out there does what MFP says regarding the calorie intake and loses weight no problem, or do you find yourself having a hard time with just the calorie intake and you feel the need to exercise. I personally don't have a lot of time to exercise, when I do I just go for a simple run/walk for approx 30 min.

Anyways my question overall is who out there just does the calorie intake?.. if so, how has your experience gone so far?

Thanks in advance for all the input :)

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out.
    The question is, whats more important?

Losing overall weight?
    Or
    Losing fat while maintaining lean mass?
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Losing overall weight?
    Or

So would you say that 30 min of walking/running 3 times a week would be sufficient enough to keep some of the lean mass while losing fat?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyways my question overall is who out there just does the calorie intake?.. if so, how has your experience gone so far?

Me. I do walk sometimes half an hour or an hour at 3 miles per hour, but you're more likely to find me flying than in a gym.

I was losing weight long before using the MFP tools, I had to customise the goals to suit what I was doing. Me and published science don't believe you have to exercise to lose fat mass and with enough protein in your diet you retain plenty of muscle.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did for the first 5 months. Just cutting calories was enough for a considerable loss. I picked up exercise now in the last month just because i want more than just losing weight, I want to be healthy too.

In that 5 months I did absolutely no exercise. Just the basics of life and work. I was seriously lazy and still able to lose on a calorie deficit (and a few other "rules").

To keep muscle you really need to strength train. This doesn't mean a gym. You can buy your own stuff for your house or just use what is out there. Stairs are good for building muscle (up and down each do a different group). Park further from the grocery store and carry out your bags. Lots of stuff you can do if you just want to add to your daily activity.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend (offline) who calorie counts using excel. She's lost a significant quantity (60 lbs if I recall) by setting her calories to 1700-ish and occasionally going horseback riding.

Has she lost muscle? Probably. But she's also lost several sizes (iirc, size 24-size 16) and looks a lot better.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I currently do not do a great amount of exercise due to my weight and back/hip issues (which are getting better as I lose weight). Having said that I do have to walk 500 metres each way from the carpark to my office and do a bit of walking around work which is a manufacturing site. I wore a pedometer to begin with and it seems on overage that I burn 200 calories per day from walking around work each day. If I have time I will try and fit in another 15 minute walk at lunchtime. I also try and do a bigger exercise day on the weekend which normally involves walking and steps and on average is another 1000 calorie burn.

But, I do not do any exercise other than walking. I don't go to the gym, I don't lift weights (I have bought a resistance band but not used it yet), I don't do yoga or pilates etc

Since the start of January when I started with MFP I have lost approximately 20kg, with another 10kg in the previous year without doing anything in particular.

I know that as my weight goes down more, and I feel more comfortable with doing "exercise", that I will need to change my exercise regime.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Losing overall weight?
    Or

So would you say that 30 min of walking/running 3 times a week would be sufficient enough to keep some of the lean mass while losing fat?

you need to lift heavy weights to keep your lean mass.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I recently reached 125 days of logging and have lost 25 pounds. When I filled out my profile for MFP I used a very rough average of daily movement. I'm a substitute teacher and when I work I move more, but I don't work every day and when I don't work I don't move so much. I haven't really added any excercise to my life so far. As the weather gets warmer I'll go walking on the weekends but I can't afford a gym membership or classes. I have some free weights around the house that I try to do some things with, but I don't really know what I'm doing!

I guess to answer you question, I have lost most of my weight so far by not intentionaly excercising, but I also see the loss slowing down.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My friend has lost 45lbs with low cals and no exercise, so it is possible but she has ended up 'skinnyfat' and is extremely unfit.

I've lost 42 lbs with higher cals, lots of exercise and am getting smaller rather than flabbier. I can run 5k @ 202lbs, my friend who is only around 125lbs cant run for 5 mins.

Exercise has many health benefits other than weight loss so do as much as you can, the number on the scale might mean you are thin but that doesn't always mean fit and healthy.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    No offense, but saying you don't have time to work out is just a cop out. A 15-20 min workout is sufficient. If the first lady can find the time, none of the rest of us have an excuse.

You will look better if you retain your lean mass with resistance training and you will be an overall healthier person aside from the aesthetics! Give it a try! Doesn't need to be heavy weights, can just be bodyweight exercises or the like.
  • Awkward30
    Options
    Double post
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi!

So, I'm 5'4, 162 lbs, and this is my first post and first day on MFP. I randomly found this program on my iPhone as an app while at my work. I work infront of a computer at a desk job on long hours (50-76 hrs a week). I'm wondering who out there does what MFP says regarding the calorie intake and loses weight no problem, or do you find yourself having a hard time with just the calorie intake and you feel the need to exercise. I personally don't have a lot of time to exercise, when I do I just go for a simple run/walk for approx 30 min.

Thanks in advance for all the input :)

I also have a busy (and at times, stressful) job...and felt when I started (last October) that if I could get in 30 minutes of exercise 3x weekly - I would be doing well (walking, and light weights at home). Some weeks I'm more successful than others - and sometimes get a great workout including yardwork, and some weeks like this current one - practically no exercise.

I'm in the 5'5" range and was able to drop about 20 pounds in 3 months by watching calories. In the months since - have dropped several more - and do intend to increase the weights to firm up a bit more. I went from just over 25% bf to just over 22%, and went from a size 8 (with a few 10's thrown in) to a size 4 (yesterday fit into a size 2 skirt - unbelievable!)

I look as good as I feel - and while I'll never be a poster pin-up girl, I don't feel the need to be (I'm closer to 50 than not!)

Go with what works for you - makes you feel good, and fits your lifestyle.

12029845.png
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Walk,walk walk! Get your heartbeat elevated and enjoy the beautiful weather.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have. I had a lot of injuries and joint problems in the last year but by logging my food and watching my calories I have lost weight. The joint problems are better and I can excercise a bit now and hopefully that will maintain my muscle mass. But it can be done.

Good luck :smile:
  • Nutrition1975
    Nutrition1975 Posts: 111
    Options
    There are plenty of people out there that would be considered "skinny fat". They eat and maintain their weight, but do not exercise and you can tell. Just because they are skinny doesn't mean they look good.

You can also consume less calories, but also make a workout routine where you are putting in 10 minutes at a time. Run for min, walk 30 sec - to keep the blood pumping. Push ups are great - Personally nothing is sexier than a toned body - no matter what size you are - good luck!!! Make a routine for yourself where you can get 10 min here and there and eventually you will be up to 1/2 hour.

I personally do home based workouts - no more spending time at the gym - message me or friend me!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    No offense, but saying you don't have time to work out is just a cop out. A 15-20 min workout is sufficient. If the first lady can find the time, none of the rest of us have an excuse.

You will look better if you retain your lean mass with resistance training and you will be an overall healthier person aside from the aesthetics! Give it a try! Doesn't need to be heavy weights, can just be bodyweight exercises or the like.

Saying no offense, usually doesn't work. Just an FYI. ;)

As for it being a cop out, I guess that could only be determined once you know me and my schedule. I work shift work, sometimes working 13 hrs a day with 2.5 hrs of travel. Once home, I'm not sure working out is the best for me, rather than getting rest due to 11 more days to go. Then I get my 2 days off.

Anyways, as for resistance training, I have given it a try, I used to hit the gym every 2nd day when I was on a normal 40 hr week a year back.

I was just curious to know, for a start anyways, if just the calorie counting would work just as well. Then once the pounds start to drop then start doing some resistance training.

I appreciate all the input from all of you, it's inspiring, thank-you!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Aimers, if you DO want to try and squish in some exercise, you could try doing about 5 minutes of bodyweight-only on a break or while waiting for something. I get weird looks, but I do squats in between two classes at university and pushups between the next two.

If you don't, I think you'll lose the weight anyway, this was just an 'if'.
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did. I lost 65lbs without probably 1 day of exercise. In fact, before this chunk of weight, I had lost about 40 (then got pregnant again and gained it all back) and I cardio'd myself to death and was frustrated that it did pretty much nothing for me. I am not saying you should, but I AM saying you can lose without exercise. Edit: It did nothing for me because I was probably doing it all wrong. Too much cardio, not enough food.
  • Awkward30
    Options

Saying no offense, usually doesn't work. Just an FYI. ;)

As for it being a cop out, I guess that could only be determined once you know me and my schedule. I work shift work, sometimes working 13 hrs a day with 2.5 hrs of travel. Once home, I'm not sure working out is the best for me, rather than getting rest due to 11 more days to go. Then I get my 2 days off.

Anyways, as for resistance training, I have given it a try, I used to hit the gym every 2nd day when I was on a normal 40 hr week a year back.

I was just curious to know, for a start anyways, if just the calorie counting would work just as well. Then once the pounds start to drop then start doing some resistance training.

I appreciate all the input from all of you, it's inspiring, thank-you!

Yeah, it never works but I try!

As I said, if the first lady can fit it in, I think there are very few people who cannot fit it in. If you wake up 30 min early you can fit it in twice a week before your shower. Twice a week! Just try it, I found that I ended up getting more energy from working out!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My first few months were diet alone. Results according to the scale were great, but I prefer how I feel while working out, even if the weight loss seems to slow down some.

Edit: If nothing else, get a resistance band and do some body weight exercises when you can find a few minutes. It won't be nearly the same as getting into a gym, but you can at least work the muscles a bit. It should make some difference in how much lean mass you keep while losing fat.