I think I've became "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• BodyPositive
    Options
    6 stone 11 is far too low for you height..i think you need to take a serious look at your diet and perhaps see someone. eating 1000 cals a day is not good for you, especially if you are exercising 5 times a week.

2 weeks ago I upped my intake but it's spiralled out of control - binging..

Honey, you're bingeing because you've been starving yourself. Once you get settled in at a higher calorie range, you can get that under control unless you have a medical issue. :flowerforyou:

I know, I can't believe I'm in this situation.. I come home from school tired and just raid the cupboards as an attempt to give me energy to work out, I feel weak and pathetic. I need some high energy, wholesome foods in me.

I feel as though when I've had a bit of chocolate, I mays well just eat a load of it as I've "cheated" already. It's fine to have a bit of chocolate as long as it's a suitable portion, right? :/
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I was averaging under 1000 gross cals for most of 2010-2011.

I'm still working to undo that damage. The good news is, it's possible! Slowly raise your calorie intake. Adding about 150-200 cals at a time worked really well for me, without feeling crazy overwhelming. I'm now at a stable, healthy daily intake and my weight has leveled out too after an initial temporary gain.

A lot of people are going to tell you to start strength training. For the most part, I agree with them. This will change your body composition drastically, but you need to get your nutrition in order first.

EDIT: Feel free to add me for support if you like. My diary is open, and I try my best to keep it healthy. I'm still working to increase my intake, but have many more good days than bad at this point. I have been exactly where you are. Not too long ago either!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if the protein's OK but calories ar elow you need more fat. Avoid diet or lite foods and pick fattier protein sources than chicken and tuna. A cheese omelette for example.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    May I just say that I really like everyones responses here.. so supportive.
  • DamaliAsabyiKioni
    DamaliAsabyiKioni Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is a group here called Eat More Weigh Less...they've been very helpful to me as I'm learning how to eat in order to fuel my body. I would suggest looking there to get started!!! Those women look amazing.
  • BodyPositive
    Options

When you seen your doctor did you say about binging etc? Definately people on here who have been in your situation, and who will be able to offer far more wisdom than i can, but be strong, you can beat this!

She's booked me a blood test and then she's going to see what happens from there, she says she may refer me to a mental health clinic to change my emotional attachment to food.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would suggest speaking to a doctor and/or a nutritionist and getting some professional help for your health. You're underweight enough that you might be putting yourself at risk of some serious health consequences.

I think if you're starving, then binging, you might want to work on what's in your head first.
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    dont be ashamed. ive done far worse than you. i use to only allow myself 100 calories a day and run 6 miles. amp up the protein. the only way i can even get close to my goal is through shakes. just make sure everything you eat is good for you so you can feel good about your calories. i try a lot harder now than i ever have and i feel a sense of accomplishment when i get remotely close. lift weights, not a ton, do whatever exercise you enjoy. just dont obsess too much on the calorie intake :) make them good for you calories! you can do it babe!
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling right now, but you CAN change this situation! You need to increase your calories, and eat back your exercise calories. Most importantly, start LIFTING heavy weights. You're body is an incredibly adaptable machine, and you can change skinny-fat into skinny-fab with weight training, adequate protein consumption, and MORE food. You've got nothing to be ashamed about. No one can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start NOW and make a new ending....Lift more, eat more, and say BYE BYE skinny-fat! :flowerforyou:

How many calories? I feel so lost, I'm so scared to increase without the bathroom scales there.
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 95 pounds. (I'm pretty sure that's what 6 stone, 11 pounds is). You're not skinny fat... you're just skinny. That's pretty severely underweight - underweight to the degree that you're putting yourself at risk for some serious health consequences. I doubt you have a saggy butt or a belly pooch. These body 'flaws' are more likely in your head than in reality. I would suggest speaking to a doctor and/or a nutritionist and getting some professional help for your health.

There's nothing lean looking about my body, despite my low weight. If you looked at me without clothes, you would think I would weigh a lot heavier.

I have seeked medical help, they are helping me with the emotional side. I am wanting the advice of people who have been in my situation also.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling right now, but you CAN change this situation! You need to increase your calories, and eat back your exercise calories. Most importantly, start LIFTING heavy weights. You're body is an incredibly adaptable machine, and you can change skinny-fat into skinny-fab with weight training, adequate protein consumption, and MORE food. You've got nothing to be ashamed about. No one can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start NOW and make a new ending....Lift more, eat more, and say BYE BYE skinny-fat! :flowerforyou:

How many calories? I feel so lost, I'm so scared to increase without the bathroom scales there.

Set mfp to maintainence to get your start figure, then slowly increase towards that addimg maybe 100-200 per week. Maintenance for your height and weight should be around 2000, maybe more depending in activity level.
    Once you have adjusted to that, up again for a small gain per week until your weight is at a healthy level.
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    This past few weeks I've come home from school, and try to find foods that will energize me to work out.

By work out, I mean Jillian Michaels dvds/yoga/body weight training.

But I make the wrong choices and the truth is, I think of eating chocolate as a way to motivate myself to work out as it gives me "energy". I take never ending handfuls of cereal, bread...

I NEED to know a good meal to have when I come in from school as I feel in control and energized.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 95 pounds. (I'm pretty sure that's what 6 stone, 11 pounds is). You're not skinny fat... you're just skinny. That's pretty severely underweight - underweight to the degree that you're putting yourself at risk for some serious health consequences. I doubt you have a saggy butt or a belly pooch. These body 'flaws' are more likely in your head than in reality. I would suggest speaking to a doctor and/or a nutritionist and getting some professional help for your health.

There's nothing lean looking about my body, despite my low weight. If you looked at me without clothes, you would think I would weigh a lot heavier.

I have seeked medical help, they are helping me with the emotional side. I am wanting the advice of people who have been in my situation also.

sweetie we are so proud of you for reaching out.
  • BodyPositive
    Options

Set mfp to maintainence to get your start figure, then slowly increase towards that addimg maybe 100-200 per week. Maintenance for your height and weight should be around 2000, maybe more depending in activity level.
    Once you have adjusted to that, up again for a small gain per week until your weight is at a healthy level.

I don't have an accurate weight at the moment, I am not sure if I have gained since seeing 6 stone 11 on the scales, my mother has hid the scales as a way to help me.. should I still input 6 stone 11?
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm happy I'm able to seek support on here. My mam is also supporting me but I don't feel it's enough. She's trying to stop me from exercising, but I need muscle back.
    Tomorrow is my birthday, so there's going to be a lot of junk, I'm afraid I'll lose control. Should I just eat and then properly start on Monday?
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options

I'm happy I'm able to seek support on here. My mam is also supporting me but I don't feel it's enough. She's trying to stop me from exercising, but I need muscle back.
    Tomorrow is my birthday, so there's going to be a lot of junk, I'm afraid I'll lose control. Should I just eat and then properly start on Monday?
    [/quote] that might be a good time for you to exercise your will and ability to not freak out over calories. just remember, its not the end of the world, and not every piece of cake needs to be ran off, you wont wake up obese and in a mumu honey buns :)
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    I was not in this exact situation but really simular. I ended up 3 stone underweight (not intentional) I was unaware actually how much I was undereating as I did not try to lose weight, I just got more busy and realise until it was too late. Unfortunatly I ended up in hospital for a few weeks and it took a hard 5/6 months to get back to a healthy weight.

In the process of this whole thing, whilst I was underweight it took a long time for me to realise that I actually was. I remember thinking the same questions you are now, 'why don't i feel it' 'what should i be eating' 'what is a normal amount'
    I spent time trying to think, should I be eating more protein, fat... what type of fat? In the mean time, this led to more weight loss. The key point I missed was that I had to eat MORE, it didn't matter what it was (to an extent) it just had to be more. But I was so focused on a certain plan etc that I ended up losing more, resulting in me becoming really weak/ill. I was lucky and managed to gain weight. But it was a long process, much longer than it needed to be.
    But I agree that it is good you are seeking professional help, as sometimes its all mind and you just need to try figure it out with someone who can give expert advice.

I'm by no means at the best place, but i'm a hell of a lot healthier right now and I would never underestimate the importance of getting enough cals/nutrition. I learned the hard way.
    Best of luck :smile:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Try healthy snacks that will give you energy and contain fats, carbs and protein, , like fruit with yogurt and nuts, crackers with cheese, hummus and veggies for example.

For meals, my diary is open if you want any ideas.
    Generally a protein such as meat, fish, eggs, a carb like brown rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, for fat olive oil, avocado, cheese, and lots of veggies :-)
    As yarwell said, cheese omelettes are quick, easy to make and are a higher cal way to get your protein in.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

can you show her some information on weight training? If you're trying to gain muscle you don't want to be doing that much cardio. If you can find something about the health benefits of weight training, plus how it can help to speed up your metabolism, follow good nutrition etc, and show that to your mum, then she'll know you're doing it safely and to gain weight the healthy way, and become more healthy, rather than as a way to starve, then she'll be on your side and will support you in it (she might want to join you even!) - there are a lot of articles on the web about weight training and healthy nutrition for women, you should be able to find something :)