Who is taking CLA?

Options
Has anyone had side effects such as bad breath and/or acne from taking CLA? More importantly has anyone found a way to counteract such side effects? Like taking it before meals, or after etc. I have cut back my dosage to one 2,000 mg tablet every two days (instead of the recommended dosage of 2-4 times this daily) but am still getting some tiny spots on my nose and chin. I think that taking more spirulina than usual may be helping with the stinky breath problem. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had side effects such as bad breath and/or acne from taking CLA? More importantly has anyone found a way to counteract such side effects? Like taking it before meals, or after etc. I have cut back my dosage to one 2,000 mg tablet every two days (instead of the recommended dosage of 2-4 times this daily) but am still getting some tiny spots on my nose and chin. I think that taking more spirulina than usual may be helping with the stinky breath problem. Any other suggestions?
    Why are you even taking it? It's not that effective with weight loss to begin with and even then only about 1% of total weight loss may be attributed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Has it been proven to work on humans yet
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Save your money.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ah.. Well I take it and I haven't had any of these problems but I only take one per day. Sorry I wish I could help :(...
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in the past. For me, it had no affect on weight loss, body composition or training performance. I did sleep good and had some pretty interesting dreams. Otherwise I think it, like so many other unproven supplements, are a waste of money.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I bought a bottle a few weeks ago and have noticed no difference. I would save your money.
  • abfab_sweetie
    Options
    Why are you even taking it? It's not that effective with weight loss to begin with and even then only about 1% of total weight loss may be attributed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for your advice! I just remember taking it a few years ago when I was really lean, and thought that it may of helped to maintain lean muscle mass. But probably it had more to do with my high protein diet. Can't remember getting the side effects though. I am currently taking 2,000 mg every second day, until I use up the bottle. No side effects on this dosage, but it's probably not doing anything either! What is your take on L-Cartinine?
  • JacintaMarling
    Options
    I have been taking SafSlim and was told if i took CLA with it I would see better results.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I took it for a few years, 4,000mg per day.. I honestly didn't pay attention to whether it worked or not, but I didn't have any of those side effects, even when I bumped it up to 6,000mg some days (for no good reason). I'm saving my money now.. Since stopping it I don't see any difference either. Clean diet and weights.. That's the answer.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I take 2 or 3 soft gels a day (1000mg each) a day and have no side effects.
    I stopped taking it for a while and it seemed like my abs were less noticeable... Not sure if it's the placebo effect or what, but I'm back on them... Not 100% sure I'll buy another bottle when mine runs out but ah well... It can't hurt!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In clinical testing, CLA has shown more benefits in overall health than with weight loss.

Conjugated linoleic acid is used for cancer, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), obesity, weight loss caused by chronic disease, bodybuilding, and limiting food allergy reactions.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-826-CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID.aspx?activeIngredientId=826&activeIngredientName=CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`ve been taking 3 x 1000mg a day for the past 3 weeks,,,Only noticeable difference is i sleep better..or that might be the cocoa before bed..
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I am taking it and have not had any of those side effects. I take 2,000 mg once a day.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    It's going to have little effect on weight loss though it will help your body in many ways.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Isn't that a high dose? I take one 1000mg twice a day.

I started it after I saw it on a Dr. Oz show...........
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's been scientifically demonstrated to help cut fat and increase/retain lean muscle mass. However, the effect is rather small. Thus, it's almost impossible for an individual to determine whether it's working or not. Myself, I take 3600mg/day. I will have no idea how much, if anything it, it will contribute to my overall body composition but the science behind it is good and it is a natural substance that we used to consume more but no longer get much of. I figured it can't hurt.

As for side effects, I have been getting some zits. I hadn't attributed it to the CLA, but now that I think about it I usually don't get pimples so it may be the cause. In any event the effect is mild for me.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No I haven't had bad side effects from CLA and I take 4300mg a day. Maybe something else in your diet or skin regime is going on? Upcoming menstrual cycle?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I don't take CLA, but I get plenty from my grass fed beef.