Fruit.
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ganetdiary
    ganetdiary Posts: 3
    Options
    Maybe you can find a compromise. I have a K-Cup coffee / hot drink machine. So, in the evenings, I can go with a relatively low calorie sweet drink such as Hot Apple Cider (80 calories) or Chai Latte (60 calories). Even two of them isn't too bad. Maybe even throw in a mini packet of chocolate chip cookies (130 calories). This might keep a 500+ calorie blowout snack down to a more reasonable 200 or so.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as getting rid of foods if they are foods you are feeding your children. It's all about willpower. I personally look at the foods my teenagers have around and ask myself if it's worth it. Will eating it get me to my goal or will it just put me in a tailspin.
    im sorry but I have to disagree, if we didnt have an issue with food in the first place we wouldnt be overweight, my kids know that I cannot bring certain foods in the house, donuts, brownies, chips, they are ok with that because they want me to succeed. I buy the sugar free jello, fat free pudding, 98%ff popcorn the kettle corn type, and the fiber one brownies and i buy them ice cream cups that I wont eat, they have little candies on the top of them that fortunately i dont like. my kids dont need a lot of junk food either. sometimes i mess up and buy stuff, but i try to have things in the house that i wont binge on, there is ff 25 cal hot chocolate packets also.
  • jaycee00
    jaycee00 Posts: 3
    Options
    My sweet cravings start after dinner. What I found is if I brush my teeth before the cravings start, I don't have that intense sugar need. I may still miss it a little, especially when my kids are having desert but a little will power gets me through it.

This may sound weird, but I think it has something to do with the after tastes. Ever eat a couple of girl scout cookies and think you are satisfied....just to keep on craving them until the whole sleve is gone? Chewing gum instead of eating more cookies is working for me. And of course, brushing right after dinner keeps the cookies away at night.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You just have to log every single thing. I think you can eat whatever you want... if you log it ALL, you will at least be honest with yourself about the number of calories you're eating. For me, there's no "bad" foods.... as long as I log it and stick close to my calorie goals. Seriously, I eat a small amount of chocolate or cookies every night. It also helps to know if I ate a lot of extra calories, because I can just work out more. Oh, and get yourself some herbal tea... there's a million different flavors, hot and comforting, and some are slightly sweet tasting even when you don't add sugar.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    My day starts off so good
    Healthy breakfast... log it.

Mid morning exercise. Log it.

Healthy lunch. Log it.

Mid-afternoon - and things start going bad. I seem to start getting hungry about 4pm and I make a meat sandwich (protein and carbs) and that is good, but does not fill the hole enough... so I start eating crackers or cookies with the children... I feel guilty, so I dont log it.

Dinner is generally healthy; lots of veges and lean protein etc.... I log it.

But after dinner I get a sweet craving (of sorts). It is getting colder here and I seem to crave hot chocolate/milo. Some nights I may drink a litre of it (3 large cups) and I know its not good. Its just pure sugar realy.
    Then with my hot drinks I eat lots of cookies.

I am worried that since it is only the beginning of the colder months I will not lose any more weight, but infact, will add 20lbs back on.

HELP! :sick:
    The mornings start so good.... the evenings end CRAP.

How do you all cope at night? Wanting sweet stuff.
    I dont want to put all the weight back on over winter!

open your diary and log anyways..maybe your friends can help you be accountable, by letting you know when is enough, WITHOUT being judgemental...but where do you live that is getting colder ??
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    Eat slower and you'll feel fuller when going through a craving think about what you truly want more, the health, a great body shape to go with it or not and then you'll see the true importance of sticking to your plan and make healthier choices. Also, have a day where you CAN eat those things but just not the same volume like you're doing... :wink:
  • 1n1t2w1n1t
    1n1t2w1n1t Posts: 4
    Options
    I completely get where you are coming from. Mon-Fri from morning to 5pm I am great & exactly on track then boom I get home where my husband and daughter are waiting for dinner and I binge.

Plus, my cravings for sweets is out of this world. I never have them in my house but I will drive across town to go get something then binge once again.

So thank you for this, I needed to hear these tips also.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as getting rid of foods if they are foods you are feeding your children. It's all about willpower. I personally look at the foods my teenagers have around and ask myself if it's worth it. Will eating it get me to my goal or will it just put me in a tailspin.

I have to ask though, if you won't feed that to yourself, why is it ok to give it to our kids? I got rid of all packaged foods in the house. If the kids want to eat that junk then they know they need to spend their own money and do it out of the house. I don't think it's ok to teach my kids that eating junk is healthy.

I sound like a nut I'm sure, but my kids are teenagers. They will struggle with weight in the next 10 years and if I can't set the example and offer good snack choices, then it's a true shame that I've created another generation of family that will struggle as I do.

Junk food is out of the house!
  • wonderlilly
    wonderlilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    well obviously you're doing something right, because you've got a great loss posted already :) but yes, i have the same- i think by the end of the day i'm just freaking exhausted and make poor choices because of it. i'm not totally hydrated, i don't have a properly stocked fridge, whatever it might be (example: today i have 500 calories left, and already know 200 of it will go to drinks with my girlfriends). so i hear you!! will be curious what tips others share!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    it took me ages to stop snacking in the evenings, but i ended up eating kids ice blocks instead. about 50cals a pop, and they last a long time. plus drink plenty of water- have a tall glass before meals, and before you eat snacks. and before you go to town on the milo. that really helped me to stop eating when i wasn't hungry but thought i was, and it helped me cut back on the fizzy drinks.

hth
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'll recommend u to try with ur meals cinnamon pills they help ur sugar levels to stay steady without crashing I love them they keep my cravings away
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE sweet tooth and what has been working for me is Skinny Cow ice creams 90 cal - 140 calories for decent amount of ice cream and you dont feel 100% guilty about it. There are also chocolate covered ice cakes for 60 calories I like to munch on, those have been helping me not go for the hard core sweets.
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the messages! I am not sure quite where to start in replying!

Here is a sample of what I eat

Breakfast: 1/2 a Weetbix with 2 dessert spoons of fruit yoghurt. 5-10 Feijoas (seasonal). 250ml protein shake with frozen berries.

Mid morning: Banana, apple or orange

Lunch: Either 4 pieces bread with ham or chicken and salad. Or 200gm grilled steak/chicken or 3 scrambled eggs on salad.

Afternoon: Start off with ham or peanut butter sandwich. Still hungry. So I graze.....a few crackers. 50gm chocolate. Fruit.

Dinner: More grilled steak/chicken with lots of salad and veges...............

Post dinner lets me down: Maybe 1-3 hot chocolate drinks. 2-4 chocolate cookies or sultana muffins.
    ---

Replies to some people’s questions:

* Yes I love strawberries. Over the summer I would eat maybe 300gm a day! We grow our own as well, so have heaps! Now its getting cold not so many are growing.

* I have been starting to drink hot drinks because of the cold weather. Yesterday I had a green tea; and whilst it is not as sweet or comforting as a milky drink, it was still good none the less! and about 0 calories! (yay)

* YES, I need to be logging everything. I Tend to fall off the wagon and not log the bad stuff, because I feel guilty when I see that I have gone over by 1000 calories or whatever! I feel good when I am at my limit or there abouts. So I should really try and stick to it! Doh. (makes me feel good, psychologically and physically!

* Its kind of funny, because I am a really organised person and I do plan ahead what I/we (the family) are having for dinner.
    I do also plan what I am having at lunch and cook it the night before or go to the supermarket to buy it before lunch etc.... I think I need to look at adding more ‘healthier’ snacks into my plan. Somethings like corn/wheat thins (low fat crackers) I ate some Real foods Corn thins yesterday and they were yum, and they were much healthier than cheesy crackers. The corn thins had approx. 70% carbs, 3% fat and 0.

* My calorie goal is 1200.

* Yes I get the kids involved with cooking with me most nights. Unfortunately it is them that suggests we bake chocolate chip cookies/afghans/ chocolate cake etc.... and I agree to help them bake it. Then I aloow them to have 2 cookies a day..... but that ‘rule’ goes out the window for myself and if I have 1.... well, its all over, and I gorge myself.
    I honestly find it easier saying NO to myself, than ‘limiting’ myself to one or two....
    I just think I need to get hard! and dont have any!

* Someone asked the question “What else are you doing in the evening besides eating sweets? Are you escaping from chores? Are you bored? Lonely? Frustrated from a long day with the kids?”
    Well ironically I sit down on the couch at about 8pm and I just watch tv and play games on my laptop (whilst watching tv!) I think of it as ‘me-time’.
    Over the summer I would be out cycling until 8:30pm ish (dusk), but now it is dark by 5:30pm, so I exercise in the morning and enjoy the evening with the fire on!
    I just think its a bad habit I have got into: after dinner, make hot drink, take some cookies, sit down – consume! Half hour later, go to the kitchen and get some more.... cycle repeats.

* Someone else said: “I agree with the posters suggesting you log everything! When you realize how many calories are in those little snacks, you're more likely to steer clear.”
    and I completely agree. I think it is about accountability. I am accountable to myself, and I do not log the sweet food because I feel guilty for eating it. I choose not to be accountable to myself because i KNOW i have wronged myself. (its all psychological I tell ya!)

* Someone else said maybe I am not eating enough for breakfast....... Yes, maybe that is true. Maybe I need to have a bigger breakfast and it may help at the other end.?
    Although, I dont tend to feel hungry till 3, 4pm... so maybe it is lunch where I need to eat more?

* Another smart person said “What I have noticed is you need to stop eating sweet things. It is hard at first but then after a week or so, you don't really crave it anymore and it is sort of a take it or leave it sort of feeling. “
    Yes, that is true. For months I didnt have any sweet things and I didnt want any. But as soon as I had a ‘taste’ of sugar, I just went wild with it! and craved more.

* Another person said “What I found is if I brush my teeth before the cravings start, I don't have that intense sugar need.” and YES that is so true.!! I also find if I brush my teeth straight after dinner I dont want to get my teeth dirty again and so I dont have anything but water till breakfast time! Nice to see someone else has the same idea too! I must get back to brushing straight after dinner!!!! Thanks!

* Yes, I should open my journal so other people can check what I have been eating! and keep me accountable.
    I live in New Zealand, and its sliding into winter!

Thank you all so much for your help!
    Sorry I didn't post replies sooner. Ironically yesterday after I had posted this I took my older kids (11 and 12) out for a bike ride. 3 hours worth. Had to push the bikes up a 3km hill. The altitude rise was 300m, but it was a fantastic ride down the other side!! It was great getting out in the fresh (yet very cool) air. Kids loved it, once they had got to the top of the massive hill!

Cheers.