Do your eyes play tricks on you?

Options
I started out at 317 last spring and am down to 262 this week, i have gone down from a size 26 to a size 18! These stats are great, and i have friends compliments and the wonderful support of my husband....but....a friend took a picture of me the other day at a birthday party, and i was horrified when i saw it! I still see the same old obese gal i have always hated staring at in the mirror. I cant seem to see my results now, its as though that picture has burned my eyes with a forever upsetting sense of self....has anyone else found it hard to see past who you were and have a good look at who you are becoming?

Replies

• smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 and really can't see it. Yes my family and friends have told me I look great but I can't see it. I can tell in my close only.
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also see it(or don't see it ;p). I have lost 40 in 5 months.. i see the difference in clothing sizes but i don't always see it on my body.. i'm afraid for the future and the way i will see myself when i reach my goal weight i wont see how great i look.. we need to stay strong and believe our loved ones..
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I started out at 317 last spring and am down to 262 this week, i have gone down from a size 26 to a size 18! These stats are great, and i have friends compliments and the wonderful support of my husband....but....a friend took a picture of me the other day at a birthday party, and i was horrified when i saw it! I still see the same old obese gal i have always hated staring at in the mirror. I cant seem to see my results now, its as though that picture has burned my eyes with a forever upsetting sense of self....has anyone else found it hard to see past who you were and have a good look at who you are becoming?

For a moment, I thought you were reading my mind......
    I still see the girl who was almost 60 pounds heavier everytime I look in a mirror, at a picture, everywhere!
    I look forward to the day I can see my image and not cringe and see what everyone else sees.......
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I can't look at pictures of myself so I don't have them taken. No matter how I look in the mirror (I always think I look fine there), when I see a picture of myself I think I look like crap.

So, I don't look at them. I figure the camera adds 30 pounds or something and avoid them like the friggin' plague.

In any case, don't let this get you down. You are doing great and you are going to keep doing great!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have went from 250lbs to 134lbs and I still have days where I feel and when I look in the mirror I see that big girl that I use to be. I have to try on my size 20 jeans to remind myself I'm not that big girl no more.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options

For a moment, I thought you were reading my mind......
    I still see the girl who was almost 60 pounds heavier everytime I look in a mirror, at a picture, everywhere!
    I look forward to the day I can see my image and not cringe and see what everyone else sees.......

I am 7 pounds away from my goal weight and feel like I have hardly changed at all most of the time. But I have lost around 80 lbs (most not on MFP). I hope one day I will see the same thing everyone else does! Even when I DO notice the difference. ... it is not as great as everyone makes it sound.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day, but sometimes I really don't see it either. I have to go by what other people tell me. Pictures look differently, but I think because I am not where I want to be I see the same thing as I did a year ago. Hang in there!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's weird, I started out at 182 and I'm now around 131.6-132. I lost SO much weight and I know I've changed a lot--size 14 to size 6ish, maybe 4 and my belly still looks the same to me. I guess it's something you have to get used to, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a small or even extra small is my shirt size now. I still pick clothing up in the store and go, "man, that isn't going to fit, it's SMALL!"