Starving to feeding

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Okay so I dont know what an HRM is... But I do know starving yourself isnt good. Everyone says that, But the first time i tryed starving myself I dropped 3 pounds in one day went on for a week, then I found potato chips and gained 15 pounds the next week.

You should expect to gain 15-30 lbs. depending on how much you lost and how much you take in.

It always takes more effort to loose it then to gain it... You can always eat whatever you want.. As long as you double your workout... Workouts too most people think they can jump right in... Build up to it. It took me a week before I could do 5 pushups...

Just a little advice and support from another person expierencing the almost same problem :(
    15-30 pounds!!! That is what I have lost 30 lbs! Nooooooo!!!! I will never let that weight come back. I have been eating 1,200-1,600 calories for years because that was just how I ate not because I was on a diet. I became over weight because I did not eat enough and on the days I did go over board, pizza, burgers ect...my body held on to it. This is so confusing and aggravating.

Nooooo you will not gain 15-30 lbs!!!! I have read tons of stories on here about eating more, and I have NEVER heard of a number that high. Depending on how long you've been eating low calorie, you can expect a gain but not that high. Something is wrong with the process if you gain that much weight.

Read the sticky post about having patience when starting to eat more, and you just have to trust that the couple pounds are temporary and after that first fluctuation, your metabolism will allow you to eat more for the long haul, it's worth it.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A little over a month ago, I upped my calories from 800-1000 to 1899. I gained one pound over the first 2 weeks and have since lost it plus 2.5 pounds additional loss. You should expect to gain a little when you first up your calories, but I highly doubt you will gain 15-30 as another poster said (unless you are binging 10,000 cals a day or something).
    Thank you!! This is very close to what I have done. As long as the weight comes back off I do not mind seeing a temporary increase. I just needed to know it is common. Thanks again:flowerforyou:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Regular HRM are not meant to be worn all day. Doing that will give you very inaccurate information. If it is a bodybugg, fitbit, etc then it is more reliable.
    Ok so should I set my BMR based on an online calculator and use my HRM to get calorie burn only when I work out and then have a 500-1,000 calorie deficit?

The only reason you should be concerned with BMR is so that you don't eat below that. The way I do it is to use an online calculator to figure out your TDEE, subract about 500 and eat around that number. If I have an extra hard workout I eat a bit more and if I'm hungry I eat a bit more. Other than that I stick to the number I set based on my TDEE.
  • chapparra27
    Options
    Okay so I dont know what an HRM is... But I do know starving yourself isnt good. Everyone says that, But the first time i tryed starving myself I dropped 3 pounds in one day went on for a week, then I found potato chips and gained 15 pounds the next week.

You should expect to gain 15-30 lbs. depending on how much you lost and how much you take in.

It always takes more effort to loose it then to gain it... You can always eat whatever you want.. As long as you double your workout... Workouts too most people think they can jump right in... Build up to it. It took me a week before I could do 5 pushups...

Just a little advice and support from another person expierencing the almost same problem :(
    15-30 pounds!!! That is what I have lost 30 lbs! Nooooooo!!!! I will never let that weight come back. I have been eating 1,200-1,600 calories for years because that was just how I ate not because I was on a diet. I became over weight because I did not eat enough and on the days I did go over board, pizza, burgers ect...my body held on to it. This is so confusing and aggravating.

Nooooo you will not gain 15-30 lbs!!!! I have read tons of stories on here about eating more, and I have NEVER heard of a number that high. Depending on how long you've been eating low calorie, you can expect a gain but not that high. Something is wrong with the process if you gain that much weight.
    Thank you....I thought that was A LOT to gain just to re lose.
  • chapparra27
    Options
    Regular HRM are not meant to be worn all day. Doing that will give you very inaccurate information. If it is a bodybugg, fitbit, etc then it is more reliable.
    Ok so should I set my BMR based on an online calculator and use my HRM to get calorie burn only when I work out and then have a 500-1,000 calorie deficit?

The only reason you should be concerned with BMR is so that you don't eat below that. The way I do it is to use an online calculator to figure out your TDEE, subract about 500 and eat around that number. If I have an extra hard workout I eat a bit more and if I'm hungry I eat a bit more. Other than that I stick to the number I set based on my TDEE.
    I can do that but what is TDEE?
  • chapparra27
    Options

I can do that but um what is TDEE? and do I still eat back my work out calories?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Most women, unless you have a lot of weight to lose, don't have 1000 calories between their TDEE and their BMR, so setting that high of a deficit while staying above your BMR is impossible without exercise calories. As usmcmp suggested, a 500 calorie deficit, or 15-20% deficit will be more realistic.

TDEE is your BMR multiplied by a factor to take in to account your lifestyle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure, the amount of calories your body uses through the day. Basically the number that a fitbit or bodybugg would tell you. Since you don't have one of those the next best bet is to calculate your TDEE on multiple sites and find an average. My TDEE is about 2300, I eat between 1800 and 2000.

I don't eat back all my exercise calories, but I usually just lift weights. Personally I say eat back some and if you are still hungry keep eating until you hit your calorie goal.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

If you have your settings on MFP to lose weight, it's already building in a deficit. For example, if you have it set for 1 lb weight loss per week, it's going to give you a calorie allowance that already has a 500 cal / day deficit.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I can do that but um what is TDEE? and do I still eat back my work out calories?

depends... if you calculate your TDEE to include you work out activities... then no... What I did, instead (since it works better with how this site is set it) is calculate my TDEE as though I did not work out... and they I eat back my work out calories. The second link in my first post is a TDEE calculator
    You will probably gain a little water weight... it is to be expected. Please read this.. It will help a lot!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

And use this to determine how much you should eat

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

a nice weight loss rule of thumb is to eat your TDEE minus 15-20%
  • sarachelz
    sarachelz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually, from a lot of information I've heard from nutritionists, this could actually help you lose weight. because If your body thinks it is starving, it will hold on to weight even more. I found that if I occasionally up my calories (for a day every couple weeks) and then eat around 1700 a day, I lose pretty consistently, and my BMR is not as high. That and I never feel hungry, which would make me give up on a plan in a second, so I find that helps a ton.

As long as you are still running a decent deficit, you will still lose. You might gain a small amount on the first few days, but just wait a week to weigh and you should be good. Also, don't beat yourself up if you do have a temporary gain :)
  • chapparra27
    Options

depends... if you calculate your TDEE to include you work out activities... then no... What I did, instead (since it works better with how this site is set it) is calculate my TDEE as though I did not work out... and they I eat back my work out calories. The second link in my first post is a TDEE calculator
    You will probably gain a little water weight... it is to be expected. Please read this.. It will help a lot!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Ok my TDEE without exercise is just over 2000, so I should eat 20% less than this but also eat back my calories from working out? That wouldn't be a very good deficit.
  • chapparra27
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure, the amount of calories your body uses through the day. Basically the number that a fitbit or bodybugg would tell you. Since you don't have one of those the next best bet is to calculate your TDEE on multiple sites and find an average. My TDEE is about 2300, I eat between 1800 and 2000.

I don't eat back all my exercise calories, but I usually just lift weights. Personally I say eat back some and if you are still hungry keep eating until you hit your calorie goal.
    Ok my TDEE without exercise is just over 2000, so I should eat 20% less than this but also eat back my calories from working out? That wouldn't be a very good deficit.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i went from eating 1000 and under to 1700 a day!! if anything you'll have a bit of water weight at first, but nothing too shocking will happen. stay off the scales for a few weeks; i did that and so i didn't freak out. now i feel so much better!

congrats on making the decision to up ur cals, you'll be glad you did :D
  • MoreBean13
    Options

The generally accepted answer for the Eat more to weigh less group is only eat your exercise calories necessary to net your BMR
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thing with eating back exercise calories you worked out based on a HRM is to subtract your TDEE for that time period to get your actual exercise calories.

Say my HRM says I burn 600 calories in 60 mins, but if I didn't do any exercise for that hour i'd normally burn 90 calories by just existing.

So rather than eating 600 exercise calories back, it would be closer to 500
  • chapparra27
    Options
    i went from eating 1000 and under to 1700 a day!! if anything you'll have a bit of water weight at first, but nothing too shocking will happen. stay off the scales for a few weeks; i did that and so i didn't freak out. now i feel so much better!

congrats on making the decision to up ur cals, you'll be glad you did :D
    Thank you< i hope so
  • cannonsky
    Options

that seems high. What did you put for your activity level? How much do you burn when you work out?
  • cannonsky
    Options

The generally accepted answer for the Eat more to weigh less group is only eat your exercise calories necessary to net your BMR

yes... this. That's a lot less complicated.
  • chapparra27
    Options
    Thing with eating back exercise calories you worked out based on a HRM is to subtract your TDEE for that time period to get your actual exercise calories.

Say my HRM says I burn 600 calories in 60 mins, but if I didn't do any exercise for that hour i'd normally burn 90 calories by just existing.

So rather than eating 600 exercise calories back, it would be closer to 500
    I had not thought about that. Thank you :smile:
    So I need to eat at least my BMR but less than my TDEE? If I workout I eat more?