Losing a pound a day?

Options
Hello, my name is Kristy and I am new to this site. This is a great program, and it really helps me get my exercise in all the time. However, I have been true to this site for just four days now, but I have lost a pound a day. I'm not trying to, I exercise just 30 minutes a day, and eat almost all of my calories, but the weight just keeps dropping. Should I set my goal for one pound a week instead of the two I originally set it for? I'm just worried that even though this is a safe way to lose weight, that I am not doing it safely.

Also, I am very overweight for my size if that matters any (195 lbs).

Thank you!

Replies

• timeforchange
    Options
    Congrats on losing a lb a day! It's an awesome feeling, I know, but it doesn't stay that way so don't start changing your goals yet!!! I started at 199lbs and lost my first 6 lbs in the first week too. I'm not meaning to discourage you! You are definitely doing everything right!!! Just keep it up and don't change anything yet!!!! You'll see!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing a lb a day! It's an awesome feeling, I know, but it doesn't stay that way so don't start changing your goals yet!!! I started at 199lbs and lost my first 6 lbs in the first week too. I'm not meaning to discourage you! You are definitely doing everything right!!! Just keep it up and don't change anything yet!!!! You'll see!

I totally agree I have lost 34lbs and I have been stuck for almost 3 weeks:grumble: . you probaly just loosing water weight, thats your first 10lbs
  • kristine518
    Options
    I love MFP. Everyone is so helpful and motivating! It's great to read the helpful comments.

The first few pounds come off quickly....my guess is it is mostly water weight. Stick with your plan. 1 to 2 lbs / week is reasonable. You'll have good weeks and "slow" weeks or plateaus when you're doing what you're supposed to be doing (eating right and working out) but for some reason the scale doesn't move. Just keep going! Eat healthy and work out. Some say don't weigh yourself every day... do it once or twice a week. and drink your water!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday. Your weight flucuates daily, and since you are just starting to workout and track your calories you will see quick results most of the time. But over time you will need to make your workouts more intense and longer and increase the weight you are using to constantly challenge your body and keep it guessing. So enjoy your weight loss now
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks it's mostly water weight. Enjoy seeing the numbers drop quickly; it's a great incentive, but be prepared for it to slow down, especially when you're starting to build up more muscle tissue. Then it may seem as if you aren't losing at all, but you'll feel firmer, fitter and your clothes will feel bigger.

If you're still losing weight that quickly after the first two weeks, you may want to re-evaluate your goals.
  • kstefanski
    kstefanski Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will enjoy my weight loss while it's happening :smile: