Weight loss slowed down

Options
I have an injured knee that prevents me from squatting, pulling, pushing, lifting (20 pounds or more) running, or even walking long distances. With me keeping to 1350 calories a day for the first 6 months I didn't loose A POUND, then suddenly in a month I lost 8 pounds almost 9 now. Now it has slowed down and I am pretty bummed out went from 1.5 pounds ever 2-3 days t0 6 ounces lost every 2-3 days. How do I pick it back up to what it was without killing my knee?

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    You didn't mention you couldn't do situps (you can do those straight legged), oblique twists with weights, cardio punching or punching bag, and swimming are some things that come to mind that you could do without over exerting your knee.

(not a doctor, just an opinion)
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes I do crutches with two 5 pound weights, I'm asking how to speed the weight loss back up.
  • s1lence
    Options
    Just trying to suggest exercises that can up your weight loss again, sorry I didn't understand completely.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Anything else come to mind? Crutches and situps help with maintaining some sort of muscle but doesn't help with loosing weight to much anymore.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You can increase or decrease your calories by 100. If you are doing 1350, that's pretty low. I'm all about eating low, but check your macros. If you are eating low calories it's a good idea to eat higher carbs. Carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer and give you energy. Eat the carbs with some protein because the protein will break the carbs down and digest them completely. Are you eating clean? No fried foods, no heavy pastas, etc. Drink as much water as you can handle. I suggest setting your macros at 45 percent carbs, 35 percent pro, 20 percent fat for a low calorie diet.
  • kalyy
    kalyy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough? I've lost most of the weight eating around 1400/1500 calories, then I started exercising daily and eating too little and had a 3 week plateau, now thanks to these forums I decided to up my calories to 1630 and lost 1.5 lbs this week!
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, regardless of how much you exercise.
    Check out the EM2WL group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i would check into chair/seated workouts ( for the elderly and disabled) but it might help give some calorie burn ( couldn't hurt)
  • s1lence
    Options
    http://www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html

I went searching through the forum history and found this site, about two thirds the way down the page gives you suggestions on how to up your metabolism which will help you burn more. It suggests eating a high amount of lean protein in your diet.

"A higher protein diet is helpful because it protects lean body mass in a calorie deficit and has a higher thermogenic effect. There are some foods, such as hot peppers, or drinks such as green tea, which are reputed to be thermogenic. Unfortunately the effect is quite small, so don't bother looking for "magic foods" or "magic pills." "
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Great suggestions, yeah my fit told me to loose 2 pounds a week to eat 1350 but maybe it is time for a change. I will try to eat 100 calories more for a week and see if that does the trick.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    You can increase or decrease your calories by 100. If you are doing 1350, that's pretty low. I'm all about eating low, but check your macros. If you are eating low calories it's a good idea to eat higher carbs. Carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer and give you energy. Eat the carbs with some protein because the protein will break the carbs down and digest them completely. Are you eating clean? No fried foods, no heavy pastas, etc. Drink as much water as you can handle. I suggest setting your macros at 45 percent carbs, 35 percent pro, 20 percent fat for a low calorie diet.

I usually eat very clean I don't eat fast foods or fried food, if i indulge in soda its zero calories. I do eat a lot of salt unfortunately trying to cut down on that. To be 100% honest I don't usually keep track of anything but calories life style is to hectic to dot down everything. I usually eat chicken, veggies, turkey, rice cakes, whole grain/wheat foods so I know I am not getting junk.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    open up your diary? Without seeing that it's hard to analyze much. What you eat does not matter near as much as how much....
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You really can't speed it up. I'd suggest upping your calories to 1500ish and continue your core work and try to get into a swimming pool asap, people drastically underestimate how good swimming is for the entire body, works all your muscles. I have spurts where I just randomly drop several pounds but mostly I lose on average about half a pound a week. I know it's not A LOT and sort of slow going, but the changes I see in the mirror weekly are far more important that what the scale is telling me.
  • Misalayne
    Misalayne Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I once read that Denise Austin did reps of glutial exercises like tighting while sitting at her computer answering her emails. another thing you can do is arem circles, palates, and even ride a bike...statioary or otherwise. My husband injured his knee and theynhad him ride a bike during physical therapy. Good luck.