"Mature" (e.g., Older) Runners

Options
love22step
love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
This evening, I met a couple who live on the 10K route I'm using to prepare for a 10K race. The man was on the heavy side, but told me he had run two or three (I forget which) marathons. I told him that since I started running at 60, that might be too ambitious a goal for me. He informed me he started running at 62. Who knows, perhaps a marathon is in my future.

Furthermore, I read the following article in the SAM's Club Healthy Living Made Simple magazine:

"GOOD NEWS FOR SENIOR JOGGERS

Conventional wisdom says that aging means giving up jogging because of the pounding it inflicts on your knees, ankles and hips.

THE TRUTH?

Multiple studies show that distance running actually benefits older athletes by protecting against osteoarthritis, increasing bone density and staving off heart disease and cognitive decline. Sports medicine experts say that for older runners, pain and chronic injuries are often the result of continuing to run despite injury or not allowing sufficient recovery time after an injury."

I'm going to continue running and see how far I can go! :wink:

Replies

• rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As I am using an IPad I can not post a link. However, London marathon has a lot of older runners. One who was retiring from marathon running after the recent London 2012, is 101, in future will only be doing 10k short runs. He only took up marathon running age 89! To think I had been feeling pleased with my 6 miles at age 50. Now I feel inadequate.
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started running last fall at age 52. It was always something I thought I couldn't do. I still find that first ten minutes hurts and I definitely am not speeding but I sure love the feeling I get after. It's such a sense of accomplishment and happiness. I ran in a 5k fun run when I was in my mid twenties and then Jan 1st I ran in a 5K resolution run. It wasn't a real serious run and my time wasn't fast at all but there wa still lots of people behind me and my friend who came with me. She keeps wanting us to do a half marathon but I would be happy one day to do a 10K. Right now I don't feel the need to go past that but someday who knows. Glad to hear that running is good for us older runners. I would love to slow down the aging process and really enjoy my 50's, 60's and 70's.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We have a 71 year old in our running club. She's run a 5K in 27:11. She runs 30-35 miles a week and has the record in the Delaware Senior Olympics.

I'm 51 and working towards my first marathon. I also run 30-40 miles a week. I can run a 5K in 28:41 and am trying to get it under 25. I've run one half marathon and am planning for my next one in June. I started walking/running when I was 49.

When I go out to these 5K's there are always people in their 70's and sometimes in their 80's running.
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lesle you are an inspiration! What a fantastic weight loss and your running times are awesome!
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree. You are an inspiration to all, and especially to other "mature" women like me.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Lesle you are an inspiration! What a fantastic weight loss and your running times are awesome!

I agree! Impressive!