Umm...Embarrassing Question about...bowel movements...

Options
13»

Replies

• rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do know that you should be "having a bowel movement" at least 4 times a day. As this is what I saw on good ole Dr. Oz and also what I have read is a healthy amount. It should also be squiggily like an "S" shape or a "C".

Utter nonsense!

I can see why you would say that, because it reads like every bowel movement is a crap - it is not. With Crohns, you learn when your bowels move, because then you must crap. But they do move independently of the need to go.
    If exercise brings it on, good-oh then.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed!! Everybody poops!! If there's one thing that everyone in the world understands, it's poops. Young and old, rich and poor, all cultures, languages and people - We all poop!!!

To answer you're question - That totally happened to me when I started working out! I had the biggest poops ever! I was like WHAAAAAAAT??? I even posted a blog post about it.

I think basically when you're working out, your entire system is working more effectively? So pooping gets more... efficient? Or something? I dunno, but hey I experienced the same thing. So no worries, I say. Better out than in!!! :P

Edited to add: Ooooooo a Poo Tracker App??? I want one!!! :D

Edited to add: As far as what people saying about "how many times to poo a day which is considered healthy" - I think that everyone's body is different and processes the food you eat at a different pace. As long as your tummy/lower intestines aren't really feeling messed up, you're probably just fine. Personally, I've been feeling better in general since I started working out. I feel like the whole process of food in, digestion, synthesis of nutrients, waste out, has just become more efficient. Hence the bigger and more satisfying poops. *shrug*
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    3 times a day is healthy. Water will make you have a bowel movement.

From Mayclinic.com, which is a website from medical professionals

Myth: An absence of daily bowel movements indicates constipation.
    Fact: Constipation is most accurately defined as the infrequent or difficult passing of stool. Normal bowel movement frequency in adults can range from three times a day to three times a week.

To answer the OP's question, when I first started on my fitness routine a year ago, I'd have to stop half way through my treadmill session to hit the loo. I must be used to it now, because I don't do that anymore. I think it's pretty normal, what you are experiencing.

3 times a day is healthy.

The only time in my life I have ever gone three times a day is when I was sick with food poisoning or some similar situation.

The frequency of "normal" bowel movements varies from person to person.

Normal and healthy are two different things.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've found since reducing my intake I'm not going as often although my stats are always over in fiber.

Same here. I usually go once, and it is often long and curvy, sometimes twice, and occasionally I skip a day. Getting plenty of fiber from fibrous veggies and whole grains. I'm not concerned. If I go three times, then I think something is going on, not that I'm especially healthy that day. I remember when I was taking Health class in high school a thousand years ago the teacher told us we should be pooping 4 times a day. I don't think I know anyone who does. That would really be annoying as I hate pooping at work...it happens but I'd much rather do that at home.
  • indy_jh
    indy_jh Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm not an expert in the subject, but I work at a big medical lab, and the topic comes up a lot -- especially in the parasitology lab.

Anyway, pooping "too often" is a relative situation. Some people have relatively hyperactive bowels and go 4-8 times a day and have no allergies nor do they have eating/digestive disorders that are detectable or in need to treatment. Likewise, getting your body moving and getting your bowels moving seem to go hand in hand.

A friend of mine does triathlons, and I run long distances (generally half marathons). We both routiinely hit a point where we just gotta go. For me, if I eat too much BREAD, it seems to make me go more often. Likewise, anything that creates gas is not my friend. But, if I control my diet, I can keep it under control. My friend claims that COLD WATER (oddly enough) gets him going. So, he drinks warm water when he does the long work-outs and competes.

There are other issues, like Crohn's, IBS, etc. However, I have been told that if you don't have chronic diarrhea, don't worry about needing to go when you work out. It's normal.
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Having more bowel movements is not only normal but good. It shows that your system is working better.
  • beccafreak
    beccafreak Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I actually learned a lot from your posts and that's exactly what I needed! I am currently undergoing tests for possible Crohn's disease, but this was just so unlike anything I'd ever had...And I know everyone poos but I'm always so embarrassed by myself doing it. I can't even go into a public bathroom and do it, lol! And this is something to remember for later use as I want to run a 5k soon. So thank you very much, you have no idea how much I appreciate all of your answers and your care as well :)
    *Beckie*