Net Cals = BMR vs. MFP estimate?

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
So I've been doing a lot of research tonight, mostly it started with wondering about eating back my exercise calories. Thats not what I'm asking about, promise! (I know that dead horse has been beaten enough)

In reading, a lot of people said you shouldn't ever be eating below your BMR, but that your net calorie intake should = your BMR. But, MFP calculated my calorie settings to be about 500 cals less than my BMR.

I'm confused. To lose weight, should I be netting my BMR or be in a deficit of 500 of my BMR?

The deficit makes sense (because your body would be forced to lose), but so does the eating right at your BMR (because you wouldn't be eating more than what you'd need for basic functions)...

What do you guys think?

Replies

• cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    :(
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing a lot of research tonight, mostly it started with wondering about eating back my exercise calories. Thats not what I'm asking about, promise! (I know that dead horse has been beaten enough)

In reading, a lot of people said you shouldn't ever be eating below your BMR, but that your net calorie intake should = your BMR. But, MFP calculated my calorie settings to be about 500 cals less than my BMR.

I'm confused. To lose weight, should I be netting my BMR or be in a deficit of 500 of my BMR?

The deficit makes sense (because your body would be forced to lose), but so does the eating right at your BMR (because you wouldn't be eating more than what you'd need for basic functions)...

What do you guys think?

Do not try to compare your "net calories" to your BMR. The problem is that your net calories change based on what activity level you selected, even if your overall calories burned and eaten remain exactly the same. For example:

Say I have a BMR of 2000, and my TDEE (including all exercise) for a day is 3500, and I've eaten 3000 calories (a 500-calorie deficit). I could log that on MFP a few different ways:

1) I choose an Activity Level of Sedentary, which sets my initial target to about 2400. I then log 1100 calories worth of exercise. MFP displays my Net Calories as 3000 - 1100 = 1900, 100 calories less than my BMR.

2) I choose an Actiivty Level of Active, setting my initial target to about 3200. I log 300 calories of exercise. MFP displays my Net Calories as 3000 - 300 = 2700.

Nothing changed other than how the calories were distributed between my initial target (based on activity level) and how many went into the "exercise diary", yet the "net calories" are very different. Comparing them to a static number like your BMR is a mistake.

Just make sure you're eating at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE. This means eating back all your exercise calories, while making sure your *total* calories eaten (not NET) is at least your BMR.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

A deficit from your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which MFP calculates for you.

If your lifestyle is input as sedentary the goal given will probably be below your BMR at a 500 calorie deficit.