How much sleep do you get?

Options

Replies

• Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I aim for a healthy 8 hours. I literally can't remember the last time I slept a solid 8 though - generally during the week I got to bed at about 10, and by 3 or 4 I'm awake. Once I'm awake I generally don't fall back asleep. I lie there, worry about the coming day and get cross, stressed and frankly bored.

For me, there's three things that are vital. One is good nutrition - I think I've got that covered. Then there's exercise - doing pretty well on that front too. The third is sleep. In a perfect world, all of those three will be sorted. But as long as two are fine, I seem to function fine. For me, it looks like sleep is the sacrificial lamb.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I average 4 hours a night, usually waking up 1-2 times. But lately, I've been waking up almost one the hour and takes me 10-15 mins to fall back asleep. I'm feeling lethargic during the day and it's starting to effect my training. I don't rely on caffeine for the most part, unless if I'm terribly dragging or if I have to do double shifts.

On average, how many hours of sleep do you get? Do you get non-interrupted sleep, or do you wake up in the middle of the night? How do you feel throughout the day?

Is that because of outside influences or just because you can't sleep? If it's just because you can't sleep, you should have your hormone balance and especially testosterone checked out.

For me, anywhere between 7 and 12 hours depending on what I'm doing the next day, and it's straight through, no waking up.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    7-8 hours a night, I tend to go to bed around 11 and get up between 7 and 8 depending on how much work I have to do.
    On a weekend I will get around 9-10 hours by going to bed at around 12 and getting up at 9 or 10. I seem to wake up naturally with a headache on a weekend because of this though.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would say I average about 6. Sometimes less, rarely more. I wake up a couple times throughout the night...but i usually go right back to sleep. Still sucks to be a clock watcher!!!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Usually around 8. Unless I'm stressed or have something on my mind I generally have no issue going to sleep. I love sleeping... I think I must have been a sloth in a former life haha
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    Not enough :laugh:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42 year old woman. I sleep 7-8 hours a night when I'm not on call. I no longer wake up at night.

I used to wake 6 + times a night until I started taking a liquid magnesium drink 1/2 hour before I was ready to sleep. Now I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling great. Caution, this may assist in clearing out your bowels in the morning, but it is very gentle.

This stuff is magic!!!
  • zooblflot
    zooblflot Posts: 131
    Options
    5-8 hours typically. Except last night, I couldn't sleep. :frown:
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    4-6, it sucks.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I generally manage to be in bed around 7 hours. I have so many aches and pains that I wake up and toss a lot. The last week or so I have been taking a couple of ibuprofen about 30 min before bed and I am finding that my quality of sleep is better. I do not know how anyone makes it on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I would fall asleep at work :)
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    More and more each night now that winter is setting in!! I LOVE winter... I almost go into hibernation I think :D .. And being that I sleep so shockingly badly during summer - I have heaps to catch up on!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Quality of sleep is a big thing for me. I get usually 7-8 hours per night and wake up once (trying to fix this by limiting evening liquids).
    I have to have a cool completely dark room and I cover all small lights and the clock. I also sleep with earplugs as sometimes there is noise outside my bedroom window.
    I drink coffee in the morning but not during the day unless I go out and then it's pretty much obligatory here in France/Monaco.

Honestly, since I started to make a good nights sleep a priority I have fewer problems in my personal and work life and my brain functions much better.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Bah, I used to be a solid 8-10, but lately I'm lucky if I can complete an entire REM cycle. I don't remember -any- dreams now. It's actually kind of miserable. I may possibly be overtraining, but if I'm not sleeping.. what else am I supposed to do with my time? :(

I'm so tired right now because I was able to hop into a second REM, but it ended up being filled with THE MOST TERRIFYING NIGHTMARES EVER so now I'm as awake as one can be.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I haven't a had a FULL nights sleep in so long i don't remember what it was like. I usually sleep about 5 or 6 hours a night getting up 2 - 3 times!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    7-9 hours a night on average. Less on friday and saturday nights. I get up around 3am to go to the bathroom. Solid sleep otherwise.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depends. I've had months where I go without more than 4 hours, then months where I can sleep a full 12 hours then need a 4 hour nap in the afternoon.

Lately though I'd say I'm probably getting 5-6 hours with every hour or every two hours having me wake up to use the bathroom or get a drink of water but that's because I'm drinking 20+ 8oz servings of water a day sometimes and I have medication I take in the morning and at bedtime that requires constant hydration. I'll only take naps if I've done a really ball-busting (for me, anyway) workout but they're only an hour, if that. It's not what I'd call satisfying sleep but when I'm tired I go to bed and I wake up fairly early every morning and don't have to drag myself out of bed, I just get up and start my day.

I have Bipolar Disorder and from what I understand, weird sleeping patterns come with the territory. The only years I ever had a set sleep schedule were in elementary and in high school. (middle school I had an internet addiction and friends who liked to keep me on instant messenger services until 2 am or sometimes even 4 am)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Usually around 5 to 6 hours. Ever since being in the Army, I rarely get more sleep than that. I would love to be able to sleep in for a long time.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Wow, after reading your post. I feel very very lucky.

I don't feel like I get enough. I average 5-8 hours per night. I do get woken by my daugher..often.

I hope you get some good sleep soon. The amound you are getting is not enough. I would be crazy at this point if I were you.

Hope you have a great day!
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    During the week I am in bed at 10 and up at 6. Weekends usually bed at 10:30, up at 7:30 - unless we have special plans or something. Ideally I would sleep from 10 - 7 if left to my body's preference. Anything less than 9 hours and I'm a bit groggy when I get up.

It's a good thing we don't have kids. LOL
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I average 4 hours a night, usually waking up 1-2 times. But lately, I've been waking up almost one the hour and takes me 10-15 mins to fall back asleep. I'm feeling lethargic during the day and it's starting to effect my training. I don't rely on caffeine for the most part, unless if I'm terribly dragging or if I have to do double shifts.

On average, how many hours of sleep do you get? Do you get non-interrupted sleep, or do you wake up in the middle of the night? How do you feel throughout the day?

I get un-interrupted sleep when someone isn't around ;) lol. No seriously, I also wake up every hour or every 1.5-2 hours MAX...I can't remember a time when i actually didn't do this. It doesn't SEEM to affect me but I know that it must considering how vital sleep is to recovery.

I might sleep 3-6 hours a night--6 being an AMAZING night --and that happens really quite rarely.