Women - Weight Lifting Advice

Options
suziecue66
suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
I can't find the thread but someone posted this link to a muscle building program for women:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-muscle-building-program.html

The above is a muscle building program but there is also a cutting program:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html

Would you start with the muscle building program or the cutting program if you had a lot of fat to lose?

Replies

• KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    you do both, the more muscle you have the faster you burn fat. So I lift weights and do cardio at the same time. As well as I mix in H.I.I.T Training.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    you do both, the more muscle you have the faster you burn fat. So I lift weights and do cardio at the same time. As well as I mix in H.I.I.T Training.

Both programmes lift weights and do cardio so I wasn't sure which to start with. The muscle building programme has 30 min cardio 5 times per week and the cutting has just 1 day of doing sprints etc. If you go to link and scroll down it lists the exercises and nutrition.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Bump
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Okay one last try hopefully this attracts the attention to some of those with weight lifting advice.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Build first, then cut.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Build first, then cut.
    This
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Thanks - I thought that would be the answer.
    While building I can still lose fat.
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great videos, thanks for sharing!!!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Great videos, thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks. Someone else shared it first and I thought it looked good.
  • Luella70
    Luella70 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Her calories seem really low!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Her calories seem really low!

I know, they are 1300. She is 5ft 3" and 112 pounds. I don't know if its just a sample diet plan and depending on your weight, height etc you work out your own caloric amount.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I asked the same question and got this reply about whether or not to do the building or cutting program if you had a lot of weight to lose (like 40 pounds):

"Me personally, at 40 to lose, I would say cutting no doubt. This is completely YOUR decision though. Most usually want to be lean first. If you have 40 pounds to lose and went on a bulk, that would take you up at least 10 more pounds. I would even tell a chappie to cut first. My mantra is usually this: If you're skinny as hell, dirty bulk. If you're skinny fat, clean bulk a lil' over maintenance. If you're fat, then definitely cut. I advise this on not just looks, but also health. Your waist size is your lifeline basically. Obesity is the number one and two cause of death in the states. Hope this helps"
    TheOfficialEpic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588577-ask-me-anything-about-fat-weight-loss?error_user_id=17791017&error_username=suziecue66&page=17
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question and got this reply about whether or not to do the building or cutting program if you had a lot of weight to lose (like 40 pounds):

"Me personally, at 40 to lose, I would say cutting no doubt. This is completely YOUR decision though. Most usually want to be lean first. If you have 40 pounds to lose and went on a bulk, that would take you up at least 10 more pounds. I would even tell a chappie to cut first. My mantra is usually this: If you're skinny as hell, dirty bulk. If you're skinny fat, clean bulk a lil' over maintenance. If you're fat, then definitely cut. I advise this on not just looks, but also health. Your waist size is your lifeline basically. Obesity is the number one and two cause of death in the states. Hope this helps"
    TheOfficialEpic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588577-ask-me-anything-about-fat-weight-loss?error_user_id=17791017&error_username=suziecue66&page=17

First, NO one on any real lifting program is bulking at 1300cal. Ever. Period.

Even at her size.

Second...figure competitors are doing things differently than people who are looking to lose weight/fat.

Third, 5 day splits are very complicated and overwhelming for beginners. Better to do whole body, 3x a week...both for fat loss and for ease of maintenance.

And last...I didn't watch the second video, and only watched the first 5 or so minutes of the first...but her lifestyle isn't easily sustainable for most people. That's another reason to simplify things with the beginner's 5x5 stuff (starting strength, or stronglifts). It's much easier to maintain a program that doesn't interfere with your life (both in diet and the gym) seven days a week.
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Nice videos...thank you for sharing!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump for BODYBUILDING.COM
  • suziecue66
    Options

TheOfficialEpic

First, NO one on any real lifting program is bulking at 1300cal. Ever. Period.

Even at her size.

Second...figure competitors are doing things differently than people who are looking to lose weight/fat.

Third, 5 day splits are very complicated and overwhelming for beginners. Better to do whole body, 3x a week...both for fat loss and for ease of maintenance.

And last...I didn't watch the second video, and only watched the first 5 or so minutes of the first...but her lifestyle isn't easily sustainable for most people. That's another reason to simplify things with the beginner's 5x5 stuff (starting strength, or stronglifts). It's much easier to maintain a program that doesn't interfere with your life (both in diet and the gym) seven days a week.

Do you know of a good 3 x whole body. I do have access to gym.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm joining a gym soon! If I have 80 lbs to lose, wouldn't it seem crazy to bulk?! I mean sheesh, I'm bulky enough!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion. Stronglifts 5x5 is an excellent lifting program for women wanting to begin strength training. The benefit of this over a split figure training program...is this builds lean strength...not bigger figure competitor type muscles.

Also, please don't be intimidated by the barbell lifts. They'll do wonders for your body.