Please help! Body fat% confusion!

Options
I am a 22 year old female. 165cm (65 inches) tall. 60.7kg (about 134 pounds). I lost over 30kg (66 pounds) doing a very low calorie meal replacement diet ( I know, I know! I was very uneducated) and am sure I lost alot of muscle in this process as I was eating 800-1000 calories a day. My body fat % is about 27% (according to my body composition scales) which means I have about 45kg (99 pounds) of lean mass. I would like my body fat percentage to be about 23% but I am unsure about how to achieve this goal so I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to stay 60.7kg (134 pounds) but lower the body fat % ? (This is ideal but don’t know if it’s achievable)
2) Should I be aiming to PUT ON weight (muscle weight) to decrease body fat % and then can I lose scale weight but maintain this new muscle mass?
3) What should my diet/ exercise regime look like?

I am currently in a 12 week challenge which is about eating super clean and I attend bootcamp with other challenge girls. My current exercise regime is as follows:
Monday- PT  weights session (45 mins in afternoon)
Tuesday- Challenge bootcamp (60 mins at night)
Wednesday- Challenge bootcamp (60 mins in morning)
Thursday- Zumba class (60 mins at night- This is the only cardio I do my PT said I should try to cut down on cardio.)
Friday- Challenge bootcamp (60 mins in morning)
Saturday- weights at the gym, independent (about 40 mins)
Sunday- rest
I try to get my protein over 100g a day and my caloric breakdown to 40/30/30 (carbs, protein, fat) but am still eating below maintenance calories because I am unsure of how much I should be eating.
I make sure I have a protein shake (low carb and fat but high protein) after each workout and sip on XTend through my workouts. I take 2000mg fish oil a day as well as a multi vit.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Kristy x

Replies

• Kristy161089
    Options
    Anybody?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you want to stay at the current weight then you should eat approximately at maintenance.

If you want to displace fat for muscle someone better able will hopefully comment.

High protein is a good thing.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Start Lifting weights and eating at maintenance or slightly below. If you've never lifted weights, then try starting with 3 full body days a week. Do big compound exercises that work more than one muscle group like squats, dead lifts, bench press, rows, military press. If you can do them pull-ups and dips are great too.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I wasn't eating as low-calorie as you, but I did 1200 a day for a few months and even though I've lost the weight, I'd like to be more toned. I've been eating at maintenance, lifting, and making sure I get plenty of protein. That's been working for me. I highly recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women :) On the days I don't lift, I do cardio to try to burn some extra fat. Again, I just make sure to get plenty of protein so I'm not burning muscle instead! Good luck!
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    I've heard of this book maybe I should invest in it. So Lauren are you losing body fat eating at maintainence?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this book maybe I should invest in it. So Lauren are you losing body fat eating at maintainence?

Yes I have been! My weight has stayed almost exactly the same but my clothes are fitting better :) And I just FEEL a lot better than when I was eating at a deficit with almost no exercise.

The book is definitely a good investment!
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    Okay great thanks everyone. I've asked my pt to adjust my program. Thanks heaps x
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I started doing the new rules 9 months ago

My weight went down 3 pounds but I went from a size 6 to a size 2