New to posting

Options
Hi everyone, I've been dabbling with MFP for a while now, tracking my weight and food. I'm about 50 pounds overweight and have struggled (more so recently) with this since our youngest daughter was born....21 years ago. I've done some yo-yo-ing, but really only about 10 pounds. I just can't seem to break that barrier. Any thoughts?

Oh, I have to keep in mind that I have a bad knee (so high impact is out), and really limited time for workouts. I'm also post-menopause, and I know that can make things harder. I do have allergy-induced asthma, but try to not let that impact my working out, although there are times when it slows me down a bit.

I guess I'm looking for positive support and any guidance anyone may have.
Deb:happy:

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    welcome, I hope you find this site as rewarding as I have. The people are great and the support and motivation is just awesome, Add me if you'd like and welcome.
  • ZenZen55
    ZenZen55 Posts: 5
    Options
    Deb - My second child is 21, I am post-menopausal, struggling with 50 pounds and I have a bad knee! I have 2 jobs and I am back in school for another degree to improve my salary in one job to get rid of the other, but clearly I have NO time either to exercise or to cook, which I do for my husband, leaving no energy/time for separate food.

I do not know what the posts mean by eating "clean" because I just joined. I do not know if I am eating "clean".

You did not mention whether your husband is supportive; mine likes full dinners so I would be making a second dinner for myself if I want to eat light. So I have to eat significantly less to get a low calorie meal, which leaves me hungry. I joined this week because he is away, and I hope that if I get some momentum going I can keep it going.

My colleague encouraged me to join, and I think she may be my best support. She lost 11 her first month. At that rate, I can be done in 5 months. That is encouraging all by itself.

I totally support you, mostly because I am in a similar place to yours.

Jan
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Deb - My second child is 21, I am post-menopausal, struggling with 50 pounds and I have a bad knee! I have 2 jobs and I am back in school for another degree to improve my salary in one job to get rid of the other, but clearly I have NO time either to exercise or to cook, which I do for my husband, leaving no energy/time for separate food.

I do not know what the posts mean by eating "clean" because I just joined. I do not know if I am eating "clean".

You did not mention whether your husband is supportive; mine likes full dinners so I would be making a second dinner for myself if I want to eat light. So I have to eat significantly less to get a low calorie meal, which leaves me hungry. I joined this week because he is away, and I hope that if I get some momentum going I can keep it going.

My colleague encouraged me to join, and I think she may be my best support. She lost 11 her first month. At that rate, I can be done in 5 months. That is encouraging all by itself.

I totally support you, mostly because I am in a similar place to yours.

Jan

I think they mean that they are eating "on plan" whatever that plan might be. For mean, it means staying away from sugar, and simple carbohydrates. I eat grains, but not the quick cook grains.

I just finished my master's in music education (this May) so that I can get a raise this year (the first in 3+).

I am lucky that my hubby is embracing this (in fact, he's kind of pushing the whole vegan thing) because of concerns with cholesterol and diabetes--both run in his family. We both seem to be losing weight eating more vegan/vegetarian. So, it can only be a good thing. For a long time, however, he was the die-hard. Would say he wanted to lose weight, but would just keep doing the same old-same old. I just started cooking things in a healthier way, and changing one item at a time. I would cook one or two of his favorites and then cook one new thing (that was healthy and good for me), then I just gradually, when that food was no longer new, added a second food. Then, eventually, I was able to cook the main item in a much healthier way, and he didn't even realize it had happened. Sounds tricky, but sometimes you have to change the old habits slowly and subtly. It worked for me. Now, he asks for the healthy alternative because he likes how he feels. Just a thought!
  • RegTeach
    RegTeach Posts: 1
    Options
    Starting this program TODAY!! Tired of being overweight. I am a teacher so summertimes are more of a downtime for me and I want to use this time to make some changes before a busier schedule returns. Want to incorporate more exercise and make some better food choices. Have tried this many times before and I am 51 yrs old and REALLY need to get some changes MADE and get on the path for a better lifestyle. Had my kids later in life, so I am the OLD mom in the groups for my youngest two. Selfishly -- I want to possess some style and NOT look like the OLD mom. Looking for any friends out there that might be in this category. Also looking for any type of encouragement as well
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Starting this program TODAY!! Tired of being overweight. I am a teacher so summertimes are more of a downtime for me and I want to use this time to make some changes before a busier schedule returns. Want to incorporate more exercise and make some better food choices. Have tried this many times before and I am 51 yrs old and REALLY need to get some changes MADE and get on the path for a better lifestyle. Had my kids later in life, so I am the OLD mom in the groups for my youngest two. Selfishly -- I want to possess some style and NOT look like the OLD mom. Looking for any friends out there that might be in this category. Also looking for any type of encouragement as well

I totally understand the "REALLY need to get some changes MADE..." comment. That's where I was at. I can understand totally. I'm rooting for you to start those changes and make it happen. I know one thing that finally clicked for me was that I can't make this another "diet." It has got to be a life change. I had to finally decide that this was how I was going to eat for the rest of my life. Once I finally got my head wrapped around that, it became a little easier.
    Good luck and know that I will cheer you on all the way!