Gymtimidation

Options
Hello My Fellow My Fitness Pal People,

I have gotten so bored with walking and jogging that I can't stand it anymore.

I used to dread doing my walking and jogging because it was hard........
Now I am dreading the monotony of it so much that I don't really do it very often.

I decided to join a gym. It seemed like a good thing to do. I was pretty excited about it.

I had planned to go in at 5 am every morning before my day starts and get some cardio, and then return there a few times in the late afternoons / evenings for more cardio and some weight training.......

I got up early and I drove out to the gym and.......
I just had the weirdest sensation.......
I just couldn't go in.

I have been out there literally 15 times this week and its happened every single time.....

There was definetly some nervous anxiety attached.
I have never been to a gym before and I am not sure what to do.
I have never been the most social person........
Women scare the hell out of me.......
.............and everyone that I could see in there thru the window seemed so super fit.....

I looked it up online and it seems other people often have this feeling.....
So many in fact that there is actually a clinical name for it "Gymtimidation".

Anyone else been thru this?

What do you do ?

I really DO want to go in there and use the equipment and find a routine......
I think I am probably fit enough to use the equipment in a way that would not draw attention to me or embarass me....

Even so.......... I just can't seem to go in there.......

Help !

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Can you take a guest with you in the evenings? If so take a friend for the 1st time. Ask the staff to show you all the equipment and rooms as well as work out schedules. It gets easier but the first time is the most difficult I agree!
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

I had planned to go in at 5 am every morning before my day starts

There won't be many people around at that time, I don't think :wink:
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    All i can say is just suck it up and walk in there!!! Nobody in there is really wanting to be social so you don't have to worry about that. I have this problem at times when strength training. Some days i have to literally squeeze myself through all the huge body builder type of men to get into the weight room and that makes me want to turn around and go home. But, i just remind myself that I deserve to be here as much as they do. You will be fine after the first time, I promise :)
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have a trainer you could book a session with? They can show you how to use the machines and set you up with a programme, and having an appointment may help to get you inside.

I've just joined a gym and I don;t much like it, BUT absolutely no one judges me in there (even though I am probably the biggest women there and it is full of really thin girls). The reason? They are too busy talking to their friends or concentrating on exercise. Honnestly. The only people who will look at you are the ones doing less than you!

Good luck and go in. Even if just to walk round and do nothing the first time - just look. Every time you go through the door it will be easier.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If all the people at the gym are perfectly fit then you may not have the right gym...

At my gym there are all kinds:

The muscleheads that drop the weights and grunt loudly
    The super overweight people that are trying to better themselves
    The average people like me that have a little extra to work off
    etc., etc.

You have to be comfortable there, and you have to be comfortable with you. It is tough if you are intraverted to go out and make new friends at the gym, but you have to at least go in and try it out (or find a gym you are comfortable at)

As you read post here on MFP, you get inspiration from others, you should find the same thing at the gym- I look a fit people at the gym and say to myself- that guy has done what I want to do, what can I learn from him? Most people at my gym have a story about how they lost 20, 50, 100 lbs or how they are toning up for a wedding, or for whatever. Point is- they are there for the same reason you are- to look and feel better!

Good luck!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much help I can give you but maybe next time you go, try getting out of the car. Then the next time try walking to the door? Work your way inside? I don't know. Just an Idea. I'm sorry, that's got to be really hard. *Hugs*
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You just have to go do it. What kind of gym is it? A very small local gym, a gym that is part of a chain or a super big gym. The small local gym would be the only gym that may have all fit people, the other gyms have people all shapes and sizes, don't worry about that.
    Just go ahead and do it. Like has been said, get a trainer if need be for the first session so they can show yo how to use the equipment. Remember, most people are busy doing what they came there for, they are not watching everyone else.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I can totally understand this. I agree with take someone with you the first time. Or sign up for an orientation with a trainer for the first time. It can be very intimidating. You are doing aweosme and this is just another little hurdle you will jump with ease.

Have a great day. = )
  • Blackbird16
    Blackbird16 Posts: 68
    Options
    Having a trainer there definitely helps! because then you have someone there to keep you motivated and you can focus on your workout and them instead of what everyone else in the gym looks like and the workouts theyre doing
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    1. Keep walking and jogging.

2. Keep going to the gym.

3. Get an mp3 player and earbuds and a subscription to audio.com...insert earbuds and press "play"

You are getting bored and need additional stimulus to your brain. Block out the banal and humdrum and keep your mind occupied with more interesting things.
  • wellingfamily507
    wellingfamily507 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have changed my outlook on fitness this year, I am doing this for me, I am worth it. Now having changed my outlook, I walk into the gym with only me , my workout, and how I am doing on my mind. I take classes, and have found it's a great way to get started, change up my routine, and meet other people. I have found that many of the people I meet at the gym are friendly, and will answer quick questions about equipment, if you ask at tteh recpetion desk, many times they offer a intro class on how to use all of the equipment as well. Good luck, and do it for you! You may see the super fit people when you look in the window, but I used to feel that I didn't want to be seen by everyone outside, so I would avoid the equipment in front of the window....just a thought....
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a trainer so they can give you a tour of the facility and show you how the equipment works.

If you're the responsible type, you won't stand-up your trainer and miss the appointment. It's a matter of transitioning yourself to a new routine. Once you're in your new routine, you will think less about the anxiety of the unknown by just completing your workouts everyday.

Good Luck!
  • ashhhhole
    ashhhhole Posts: 74
    Options
    I get that feeling all the time. My best advice is see I there is someone you can get to go with you the first couple of times. Then, try going around 30-45 minutes before close. At my gym so few people are there then, and they're leaving as I'm working out so if I'm feeling intimidated I can remind myself that they're going to be gone soon. Also, it's good to remind yourself that really, no one is paying attention to you. Not anymore than they would outside the gym anyway. People are there to do their thing and as long as you aren't drawing attention to yourself no one cares what you do.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My best advice is set-up a introduction meeting, this forces you to be there at a specific time and helps you by knowing there is going to be someone there that will welcome you and get you familiar with the equipment.
    Once you get going it gets easier each time.
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could try a few things, Taking a friend is excellent Idea, instead of early , maybe wait until you have a day off and go at 1 in the afternoon and talk to the staff, go on a Saturday afternoon and just ask for a tour from the staff tell them you are considering coming in , " Tell the staff you would prefer working out at a time when they are not busy, TELL THEM WHY !! you will be surprised they usually understand that , YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THAT WAY !!! you could go in the late evening before closing ( on a day when you don't need to get up early "Friday or Saturday " many of the 'Hard body Types that make you uncomfortable are more than likely out on the town at dinner and social events. I guarantee those who are there late evening are hard core and most are very very encouraging and will tell you to keep up the good work, First time I was in a gym at 300lbs I was shocked at how many people gave me the thumbs up and said encouraging word... People who are in shape LOVE to see others taking a step forward to get in shape and stay in shape!! Remember you are there for the same reason they are !!! you have something in common that is why you are there!! and last but not least --you have to ignore all those around you and remember you are doing this for you !!
  • aheartbeatsos
    Options
    Even though I've been a member a different gyms, I still experience anxiety when joining a new gym.
    This year I joined the campus gym, and the first day I went I had a full blown anxiety attack,
    I got hung up on the little things - the card swipe machine, the lockers, the fitness of the other members - things that really don't matter in the long run.
    I spent an hour walking around campus trying to reason with myself..or at least come up with an acceptable excuse not to go that day. Eventually I called my mother in tears because I felt like such a loser and couldn't understand why something as small as going to the gym was causing so much distress.
    Her advice is the advice I will give to you - Just go for it.

I only lasted twenty minutes in the gym the first time but the fact that I went made the second time easier.
    The second time made the third time easier and so on.
    Now I go four to five times a week and although I'm not 100% comfortable I am at least 95% comfortable with being there!
    (You'll never catch me in the weights section..I've yet to get the nerve to go to that side! But it's on the old To Do list!)

There's a lot of great advice coming from others as well :)
    Take a friend if you can, go when it's less busy, take a tour etc etc
    I'm sure you'll be in that gym in no time!

:)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If all the people at the gym are perfectly fit then you may not have the right gym...

At my gym there are all kinds:

The muscleheads that drop the weights and grunt loudly
    The super overweight people that are trying to better themselves
    The average people like me that have a little extra to work off
    etc., etc.

You have to be comfortable there, and you have to be comfortable with you. It is tough if you are intraverted to go out and make new friends at the gym, but you have to at least go in and try it out (or find a gym you are comfortable at)

As you read post here on MFP, you get inspiration from others, you should find the same thing at the gym- I look a fit people at the gym and say to myself- that guy has done what I want to do, what can I learn from him? Most people at my gym have a story about how they lost 20, 50, 100 lbs or how they are toning up for a wedding, or for whatever. Point is- they are there for the same reason you are- to look and feel better!

Good luck!
    well, not everyone there is lifting weights they can delicately set down without exertion :smile:

at any rate, there's no need to be intimidated, OP. no one there is really judging you, and it's common to think people are staring at you when they're really just glancing around between sets. if anything, most people will be happy for you for trying to better yourself, as long as you're being courteous with equipment.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was terrified the first time I went into a gym, but once I was there I found it a lot easier (in terms of feeling like people are looking at me/judging me) to go to a gym than to run in public.

I'd definitely recommend taking a tour, as other people have suggested. They'll show you how to use the equipment so you'll know what you're doing when you first go in on your own. Knowing how to use the equipment made it a lot less intimidating for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've just read your profile. I have to say.... you need to change it. NOW. You have to stop putting yourself down, and gain a little faith in yourself. You've achieved a lot. But the experience you're describing here is part of a pattern of you being way, way too down on yourself. You won't achieve your goals as long as you're setting this up as a punitive enterprise against a body that you hate. To be really successful, you've got to love that body. It's *you*.

Just get in there, and ask someone to show you around. You'll be fine.
  • Tmsmith007
    Tmsmith007 Posts: 71
    Options
    Hi there, there were some really great comment threads, but I am with the consensus. Make the appt to get familiar with the gym. Pay attention, because it's important for your safety and COMMIT to going and doing. Oh, no matter what you are doing you will get bored, thus focus on the word COMMIT and follow through and wa la your done.