Belly Fat

Options
Any suggestions of foods to help shrink body fat? I know the usually suspects of chicken breast and fish. Just trying to shrink the little love handles :)

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    all you gotta do is stay under maintenance calories. Wouldn't matter what you ate.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    all you gotta do is stay under maintenance calories. Wouldn't matter what you ate.

^^ Agree. And also you need to work on lowering your overall body fat percentage even if it seems that your only problem area is your belly.
  • leanandmean2012
    leanandmean2012 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    would that just be the calories that MFP sets for whatever ur trying to lose per week?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    General calorie deficit. The type of foods don't matter (although for health reasons it'd be best to have a varied diet, and more "clean" foods / less processed foods)

You can't spot reduce fat - meaning, it'll come off where it comes off, it's down to genetics. For some people who store less fat in their belly, and more in their legs or arms, it may come off quickly. For some people, most of their fat stores are in their stomach, if that's you you'll just have to be patient and it will come off eventually with time and effort :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    would that just be the calories that MFP sets for whatever ur trying to lose per week?

Yes, if you stay around that amount, you should lose weight.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    *Wants to know too
  • leanandmean2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, MFP has definitely kick started my weight loss
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the fastest way is clean eating....no processed foods, no sugar. Lots of broccoli
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    this is my diet and works very good for me..... baked chicken, fish, turkey, tuna, eggs, peanutbutter, 100% whole wheat bread, things high in fiber, almond milk, chia seeds, fruits and vegetables, cook your things in olive oil, make sure you buy lowfat mayonaise, lowfat cheese, some healthy supplements and vitamins, no sweets, no soda's, no chips, no french fries, no prepackaged foods or processed foods, only place I go out to eat at is subway! green tea and cayenne pepper also speed up your metabolism
  • leanandmean2012
    Options
    I usually get chicken breast but I think that falls under processed. it's boneless skinless chicken breast from wal mart.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to remain in a caloric deficit, consume adequate protein (1g/lb lean mass is a good place to start), and lift weights/do some resistance training.

As far as food choices, I'd recommend "mostly" whole and minimally processed foods like vegetables, fruits, lean meats, nuts/etc but I'd also recommend that you allow "some" junk food, in moderation and while still hitting your daily intake goals for calories and macronutrients.

From a weight loss standpoint and assuming no medical conditions or intolerance to food items, you'll get just as good of results and probably have greater satiety/adherence by not applying complete elimination of foods you may enjoy.

This would be somewhat of a "common sense" approach to food selection.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken breast but I think that falls under processed. it's boneless skinless chicken breast from wal mart.

I eat that stuff all the time and I think it's great.

If you try to adopt a 100% unprocessed philosophy to your diet you're likely to have some big frustrations. See previous post. I do think you should eat mostly nutrient dense and natural foods but don't take it to the point of orthorexia.
  • angelpie36426
    angelpie36426 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fiber! It has worked for me in the past and I am getting back with it again.