working legs without squats

Options
Hey guys....post double knee surgery and squats hurt my knees badly. Any suggestions for ways to lift and work my legs with free weights that dont include squats? having a hard time finding moves. Thanks

Replies

• _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Pre-surgery, trying to avoid... also wondering. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    To exert force on the quadriceps, the knees HAVE to bend. You may try isometric exercise to reduce movement though. Wall sits are an example of this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    probably straight-leg deadlifts will do. as for squats, your knees aren't supposed to get hurt unless you do it the wrong way, the pressure should be on the glutes & not on your knees. your knees shouldn't go past the toes of your feet when squatting.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly.....without using/hurting your knees calf raises are really one things you will be able to do......you can always try leg extensions/leg curls and/or lunges but I am guessing if you're knees can not handle squats they will not really be options.....night just have to take time off and come back to it once you are recovered.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    To exert force on the quadriceps, the knees HAVE to bend. You may try isometric exercise to reduce movement though. Wall sits are an example of this.

That torturous thing we had to do in athletics? :)
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    probably straight-leg deadlifts will do. as for squats, your knees aren't supposed to get hurt unless you do it the wrong way, the pressure should be on the glutes & not on your knees. your knees shouldn't go past the toes of your feet when squatting.

"the knees shouldnt go past the toes" is not true whatsoever. It is impossible to squat to full depth without the knees going past the toes. on top of this, stopping at 90 degrees puts more stress on the knees and creates a shearing effect on the joint.
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    also, stiff legged dead lifts are going to cause her knees to buckle backwards if she doesnt know what she is doing.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

My knees go past my toes, I squat 3-4 times a week, ATG! No knee issues here.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Im doing deadlifts no problems, I can also do the leg press but dont have one at home. sumo squats are not so bad but reg squats or lunges hurts very badly. I also do inclines on 10% at 3.5-4 on my treadmill but still need some shaping moves.

Jess
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Im doing deadlifts no problems, I can also do the leg press but dont have one at home. sumo squats are not so bad but reg squats or lunges hurts very badly. I also do inclines on 10% at 3.5-4 on my treadmill but still need some shaping moves.

Jess

What's a Sumo Squat versus a Regular Squat? If you're talking about Squatting with a wide stance (sumo) then that's actually the more correct way to squat anyway. Standing with your feet close together and only going about a 1/4th of the way down isn't a squat, more like a weighted knee flex.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

My knees go past my toes, I squat 3-4 times a week, ATG! No knee issues here.
    Dude you're Asian. We do the "Pilipino" squat just watching TV.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Jess
    Then it's from your knees traveling forward that's causing the issue. Seems like your knees going "out and away" don't bother you as much. So try squatting with a wider stance and toes pointed outward with your knees following the way your toes point.

IDEA Fitness member