fruit calories and sugar.

Options
I am 100% sure this has come up a billion times, but I will throw it out there again.
My husband and I are both using MFP, and a common question has come up.

We have always been of the understanding that fruit is super good for you. and that you should eat several servings a day. The problem is they are packed full of sugars, and after a couple servings of fruit we are over our sugar goals for the day.
I have just recently set my goals differently because I am going to be starting weight training, but we would like to know why all of a sudden fruit is sort of a no no.

I know why not to eat large amounts of fruit, but is 2 servings really all that horrible????? We want our apples back!!! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    just eat your fruit either right before or after your workouts and either way it wont matter, me I get upwords of 77g of sugar post workout and an apple before a workout two times a day and thats a lot of sugar but there are reasons for why I do that and obviously it pays off, refer to picture
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    just eat your fruit either right before or after your workouts and either way it wont matter, me I get upwords of 77g of sugar post workout and an apple before a workout two times a day and thats a lot of sugar but there are reasons for why I do that and obviously it pays off, refer to picture

So basically just ignore the sugar goals, and eat em up! Do you count them in you caloric intake?
  • creature275
    Options
    nooo!! woa dont ignore them, I am a big fan of nutrient timing it has done wonders for me, the reason I get sugar pre workout like in an apple is for the fast carbs going into my lifts, post workout is because the sugars create an insulin spike and will drive nutrients into the muscle tissue ie the protein I also drink, so I use Cell-Tech for creatine which has 77g of sugar per serving just for that reason
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you have to remember sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. Fruit is good for you in many different ways, but you still have to be very careful and not eat too much if you want to lose weight. Eat berries instead.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Since I've started packing my diet with fresh fruit, my weight loss has increased dramatically. I don't ignore sugar goals; I just eat them raw and take in as little as I can from un-natural sources. On workout days, I will consume at least five pieces from several sources. The timing thing I agree with for the most part but it's a topic of debate. Bottom line is eat the fruit.
  • jenbenster
    jenbenster Posts: 16
    Options
    I am a vegan and eat primary veg and fruit. I had a whole small melon yesterday and today I had a whole box of blueberries not including apples and bananas.

I'm well over my sugar intake as well, but fruit makes me feel wonderful and all the sugary goodness is natural ---> I wish I was good at quoting, but I've read up a lot of raw foodism and even fruitarians [there are arguments for and against obviously] and the sugars in fruit are good.

Some people trying to body build sometimes say that they avoid fruit as it makes it more difficult to get a leaner physique, I'm not sure if that's true or not as I know a lot of people who just eat a primarily fruit and green veg diet and are ripped!

I do count the calorie intake though of course. I've just upped my fruit intake recently...I'll see what effect it has soon!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I am a vegan and eat primary veg and fruit. I had a whole small melon yesterday and today I had a whole box of blueberries not including apples and bananas.

I'm well over my sugar intake as well, but fruit makes me feel wonderful and all the sugary goodness is natural ---> I wish I was good at quoting, but I've read up a lot of raw foodism and even fruitarians [there are arguments for and against obviously] and the sugars in fruit are good.

Some people trying to body build sometimes say that they avoid fruit as it makes it more difficult to get a leaner physique, I'm not sure if that's true or not as I know a lot of people who just eat a primarily fruit and green veg diet and are ripped!

I do count the calorie intake though of course. I've just upped my fruit intake recently...I'll see what effect it has soon!

I was a raw foodist for about 6 months a few years back. And I felt amazing!!!!!
    I guess that is why I am having a hard time with the cut back on fruits.

I prefer berries to larger fruits, so that is not a problem at all, but my husband LOVES apples and bananas and was feeling defeated at the end of the day when his sugar levels were way in the red.

Thank you for all of your input!
  • creature275
    Options
    Since I've started packing my diet with fresh fruit, my weight loss has increased dramatically. I don't ignore sugar goals; I just eat them raw and take in as little as I can from un-natural sources. On workout days, I will consume at least five pieces from several sources. The timing thing I agree with for the most part but it's a topic of debate. Bottom line is eat the fruit.

hahaha yea yea you can all debate my nutrient timing but what it comes down to is do what works best for you there is no master answer to fitness
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    100% correct,berries will also keep your water levels down which will make your skin look a little tighter
  • morninglilli
    Options

hahaha yea yea you can all debate my nutrient timing but what it comes down to is do what works best for you there is no master answer to fitness

Yes, I do agree with this, that there is no master answer, I know that my body responds differently to certain foods. Fresh raw fruits and vegis make me feel the best, but starting up weight training I know I will need more substantial sources of protein for muscle repair also, so I have been adding meats back into my diet for the past few weeks.
    I will pass all of this along to my husband. Thanks all!
  • creature275
    Options
    you also need carbs to fuel those lifts no carbs = no energy = wasted gym days
  • jayrey72
    jayrey72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the fruit in sugar!!! Fresh fruit has so many benefits - they pack a nutritional punch that your body needs. It would take A TON of fruit for you to consume to be considered unhealthy. Eat a serving of fruit with every single meal. Fruit also helps keep you hydrated. If you're not hydrated, you won't lose weight.

Don't drink a lot of fruit juice, though, as there is a lot of sugar in orange juice. One serving a day.

Finally, don't believe the hype from some diets (i.e. 17 Day) that say you shouldn't eat fruit after 2 PM. That's such complete BS. It's total net calories that dictates weight loss or gain. The time of day you eat a piece of fruit won't make you gain weight.