Check Out My Diary?

Options
I just made my diary public, I'd love for people to check it out and tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just made my diary public, I'd love for people to check it out and tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Do you never eat any fish ?
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height, weight, goal..?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When I was your age I played lacrosse and soccer and dieted and ate too few calories. Today, I wish I hadn't put that unnecessary strain on my body. 1200ish calories is low for someone playing a daily endurance sport. If I had known at 18 what I know now, I would have eaten more and added in resistance training (instead of running in the AM and practice in the afternoon).
  • Drastiic
    Options
    Over the past 19 days (starting 4/17), you've been eating an average of:

1260 calories, 57g protein, 181g carbs, 34g fats

16 out of the 19 days, you've eaten below 1400. 7 out of 19 days, you've eaten below 1000.

You stated your BMR is 1400. With the activity you do as a lacrosse athlete, you should be eating between 2100-2300 calories per day to lose weight.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options
    Over the past 19 days (starting 4/17), you've been eating an average of:

1260 calories, 57g protein, 181g carbs, 34g fats

16 out of the 19 days, you've eaten below 1400. 7 out of 19 days, you've eaten below 1000.

You stated your BMR is 1400. With the activity you do as a lacrosse athlete, you should be eating between 2100-2300 calories per day to lose weight.

Can I gain weight from not eating enough? I really don't know how to rack the calories up without eating fat foods. I know nuts and stuff but i can only snack on walnuts for so long.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options
    When I was your age I played lacrosse and soccer and dieted and ate too few calories. Today, I wish I hadn't put that unnecessary strain on my body. 1200ish calories is low for someone playing a daily endurance sport. If I had known at 18 what I know now, I would have eaten more and added in resistance training (instead of running in the AM and practice in the afternoon).
    It's really hard for me to get resistance training in since after practice and games I'm so tired. I made a strength training workout routine for may though, I'm going to try really hard to follow it.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options
    5'5
    119 lbs
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    It's really hard for me to get resistance training in since after practice and games I'm so tired. I made a strength training workout routine for may though, I'm going to try really hard to follow it.
    You don't have to go to a gym- you can do bodyweight resistance exercises like pull-ups, push ups, dips, lunges etc. And it doesn't need to be everyday. In fact, the best results come from just a few times a week, say, on non practice days.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Also, remember that you are at an age where women get curvier - it's simple human development. Too many girls your age develop unsafe eating and exercise habits by trying to maintain their weight before natural developmental changes. Its simply not possible for most women to have the body at 18 or 20 or 24 that they did when they were 15 or 16.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options
    Also, remember that you are at an age where women get curvier - it's simple human development. Too many girls your age develop unsafe eating and exercise habits by trying to maintain their weight before natural developmental changes. Its simply not possible for most women to have the body at 18 or 20 or 24 that they did when they were 15 or 16.

I'm not really trying to lose weight really, I'm trying to cut fat and gain muscle.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I'm not really trying to lose weight really, I'm trying to cut fat and gain muscle.

OK cool...Cutting fat requires a calorie deficit, while gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus - so it's my understanding that you can't do both at the same time. You can cut fat and maintain muscle, or you can gain muscle without fat reduction. The solution to doing both things is a cut-and-bulk cycle where you do one at a time.

Either way, resistance training is going to be the key for you.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options

OK cool...Cutting fat requires a calorie deficit, while gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus - so it's my understanding that you can't do both at the same time. You can cut fat and maintain muscle, or you can gain muscle without fat reduction. The solution to doing both things is a cut-and-bulk cycle where you do one at a time.

Either way, resistance training is going to be the key for you.

Could you explain the calorie deficit thing? Is that what the person up there was saying? Are they accurate?
  • Drastiic
    Options
    Start off here first:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Read the whole thing several times, and then read it again.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Could you explain the calorie deficit thing? Is that what the person up there was saying? Are they accurate?

Hmm...I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Everyone has a certain amount of calories necessary for breathing and organ functioning, that sort of things- that number is called your BMR (Basal metabolic rate). Then, there are calories required for normal daily activities and non essential functions like growing hair, which is a multiplier of your Basal metabolic rate, say 1.55 for a moderately active person - but you would have to look at the activity multiplier chart to get your number. That number is known as your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. Finally, on top of your daily activity and keeping your organs functioning are the calories you spend working out, which you list in your diary as lacrosse or running calories. There's a pretty heated debate on whether to eat back those calories or not, which I'm not going to comment on here. But what's not debatable is that you need to eat enough calories to keep your organs functioning as well as support your regular daily activities. 1200 calories or less is not enough for these functions for a healthy weight, active 17 year old athlete. I would guess that the poster that said 2100 to 2300 calories is about right, but I have not plugged your numbers in. That means you can eat almost double what you're eating now and **not** get fat! You will have so much more energy and probably perform a lot better at lacrosse. I suggest going to fat2ftradio.com and using the tools there to figure out your BMR and total number of calories you can eat.
  • selfm0tivated
    Options

Hmm...I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Everyone has a certain amount of calories necessary for breathing and organ functioning, that sort of things- that number is called your BMR (Basal metabolic rate). Then, there are calories required for normal daily activities and non essential functions like growing hair, which is a multiplier of your Basal metabolic rate, say 1.55 for a moderately active person - but you would have to look at the activity multiplier chart to get your number. That number is known as your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. Finally, on top of your daily activity and keeping your organs functioning are the calories you spend working out, which you list in your diary as lacrosse or running calories. There's a pretty heated debate on whether to eat back those calories or not, which I'm not going to comment on here. But what's not debatable is that you need to eat enough calories to keep your organs functioning as well as support your regular daily activities. 1200 calories or less is not enough for these functions for a healthy weight, active 17 year old athlete. I would guess that the poster that said 2100 to 2300 calories is about right, but I have not plugged your numbers in. That means you can eat almost double what you're eating now and **not** get fat! You will have so much more energy and probably perform a lot better at lacrosse. I suggest going to fat2ftradio.com and using the tools there to figure out your BMR and total number of calories you can eat.

Ahhh, thank you so much! You really helped. I just don't know what to eat...
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Ahhh, thank you so much! You really helped. I just don't know what to eat...

That is a whole other can of worms....Start with trying to get 1gm protein per lb of lean body mass, which you can figure out with those same tools. My guess is for you that's somewhere in the 100lb range, so 100 g protein. The rest of the calories should fall in to place of you make that one change, it will be a good start.
  • Drastiic
    Options
    I just don't know what to eat...

Read the link I posted above or go here: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#nutrients
    With your goal weight of 111.

2200 calories - 111g protein, 252g carbs, 83g fat

If you decide to eat more or less, subtract from your carbs. Keep the protein and fat constant.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi.... doesn't look like you are eating enough veggies and fruit....Try to eat fruit, instead of drinking juice....The fiber in fruit will fill you up more...
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    kinda looks low xP