Ignorant friends...

Just needed to get something off my chest from breakfast this morning -

I'm an RA in a college dorm, so I work very closely with my other hall staff - we live, eat, and work together. Naturally, most everyone knows that I've been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle by watching what I eat and working on self-control. One of the people on this staff is one of those people that eats whatever they want (breakfast today was two chocolate chip muffins, pizza, and soda) and then she complains about gaining weight.

She didn't eat the top of one of her chocolate muffins at breakfast and I was craving something sweet, so I asked her if I could have a small piece of the crunchy part just to satisfy that craving. She made a face when I only took a piece and put the rest back on my plate and she said "You can eat the whole thing, you're not going to die" really rudely. I was sort of taken aback because everyone knows how hard I've been working, and I am fully aware that I won't die if I eat the whole piece of muffin, I just didn't want to.

I'm trying to tell myself that she's just jealous of my ability to control what I eat and eat sweets in moderation, but it still hurts when someone takes a stab at my hard work - especially when they know how hard this adjustment has been for me. I'm trying not to let it bug me because I know it's little and it's not worth wasting energy over, I just wanted to get it off my chest to people who might understand why it's bugging me! :)

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I have had similar comments about having just a taste of something. I tell people that control is like a muscle; its gets stronger when you exercise it. :wink:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    OMG I hate that ****. My aunt says things like that too me also. I'll be like look my pants are looser... she says oh you stretched them out .. no, I am controlling myself and working the fat off my *kitten*, literally! I completely understand why you'd be frustrated with a comment like that! Keep on sister and let the haters hate!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I have had similar comments about having just a taste of something. I tell people that control is like a muscle; its gets stronger when you exercise it. :wink:

Agreed ^

I get that kind of comment quite a bit. Yes, I know it won't kill me but if all I want is a bite then that is all I'm going to have.

You keep doing what works for you.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    You're doing great., your ticker on your profile shows you are, you're developing great self control that will serve you well in this journey.

The other person is nothing more than a magpie chattering at the window.

The winner and all around champion for this round...AUSTINDOG2. On your feet everyone, let's give it up for AustinDog.Woot!

On a more serious note...know you're doing great and that sometimes folks are going to be dipsticks.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Sometimes it's best to separate yourself from people who are negative. Sometimes that means losing friends, but it can be better in the long run.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    You're starting from a better place than I am...weight wise....so I don't get that exact type of comment very often. But I have had people comment when I only eat half of something, or only have one serving. I also have a boyfriend who says things like "you're only saving 30 calories" when I want the fat free or light instead of the full calorie version of something. I also have the people who want to be like "why are you getting broccoli for your side....you can get that at home! We're eating out, let loose a little!" (on the rare occasion I go to Friday's I always get broccoli for my side because the meal I get is 990 calories as it is!). Or my personal favorite...my family that thinks buffets are so great because they have a variety and everyone gets "enough" to eat.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Holy crap, I just looked at your ticker. Girl....your success speaks for itself. Please tune out anyone who has anything to say....because you are on top of things and clearly know what you need to be doing for you!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Flip the coin for a second. You say she knows she is overweight and wants to lose weight. She has not started her journey yet, and is probably in that icky situation of guilt and avoidance. You are on your way and it is showing. You asked for something off her plate and then rejected part of it like it was poisen to your diet. She over reacted but it probably is an indicator of her emotional place right now. Just try to imagine her side too.
    We've changed how we view food, some people are still using it to salve something broken.
    Congrat on your progress. Keep it up, as it will serve as an inspiration for those that want to start.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    I would have asked her if she wanted it back. Geez. Some people are just *****es. LOL
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Don't let people like that rent space in your head. You have had the courage to make a lifestyle change and to take control, some people just can't handle it because they are jealous. Keep up your hard work, only you can derail your success.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    When I measure out my cereal on my food scale and how much milk I put in it, I get "Are you serious, your measuring your cereal?" Others just don't understand. Good for you for not eating the whole thing, you did what you felt your body needed, don't let a small minded person who can't except that someone may do it differently get you down!!
  • heidi10537
    heidi10537 Posts: 9 Member
    I have a lot of people look at me like an extremist when I have to stop to log whatever I am eating on this site. I'll eat what I want now and then for a treat, but I have to take responsibility for it. That's the only way I've gotten as far as I've gotten, and am determined to get to my goal and possibly beyond, but can't think about that part of the journey yet. Those types of people just need to be put in their correct level of importance, very low.
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Thank you for your replies, everyone! I appreciate the encouragement :)
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Sometimes it's best to separate yourself from people who are negative. Sometimes that means losing friends, but it can be better in the long run.

I totally agree on this!!
    my face book cover reads :"sometimes you have to give up on others, not because you don't care but because they don't"
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Just needed to get something off my chest from breakfast this morning -

I'm an RA in a college dorm, so I work very closely with my other hall staff - we live, eat, and work together. Naturally, most everyone knows that I've been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle by watching what I eat and working on self-control. One of the people on this staff is one of those people that eats whatever they want (breakfast today was two chocolate chip muffins, pizza, and soda) and then she complains about gaining weight.

She didn't eat the top of one of her chocolate muffins at breakfast and I was craving something sweet, so I asked her if I could have a small piece of the crunchy part just to satisfy that craving. She made a face when I only took a piece and put the rest back on my plate and she said "You can eat the whole thing, you're not going to die" really rudely. I was sort of taken aback because everyone knows how hard I've been working, and I am fully aware that I won't die if I eat the whole piece of muffin, I just didn't want to.

I'm trying to tell myself that she's just jealous of my ability to control what I eat and eat sweets in moderation, but it still hurts when someone takes a stab at my hard work - especially when they know how hard this adjustment has been for me. I'm trying not to let it bug me because I know it's little and it's not worth wasting energy over, I just wanted to get it off my chest to people who might understand why it's bugging me! :)

She was certainly insensitive and I'm sorry that happened to you. (at least she DID leave part of the muffin--lol) She is most likely jealous but does not want to make the sacrifice in her own life. She is undoubtably hurting inside to lash out at you that way... As far as her opinion.. Compare results and see how much her opinions really do matter.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    She didn't eat the whole muffin either. What's wrong if you just want a bite?
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    I have had a co-worker come up to me and say "are you sick? You have lost weight" uhhhhh geeeee thank you I guess??? Nope, just getting healthy! People get mad and jelious...do what you are doing and let them hate cause in the end it will all pay off.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    I have this alot.
    I'l crave something, and a bite of it will be enough.
    But people get all funny, like they think, we think we are better than them.
    Or like where being pathetic...
    Really bugs me. =/
  • KaylaTie
    KaylaTie Posts: 63
    Whenever I'm around people who are negative about anything that I'm feeling good about in life
    (work, school, healthy living--anything) I tell myself it's about them, not me. She clearly has issues, people don't usually eat that way unless there are other issues in their life. Silently forgive them and know that there reactions to things are THEIR problems. You are doing great and you have every right to be proud!
  • rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    BREAKFAST was two chocolate chip muffins, pizza, and soda?! I wouldn't eat that in a day!

It's hard dealing with other people. Sometimes it's jealousy, sometimes they don't realise the effect putting so much crap in their bodies is having. Sometimes they think people are the way they are, end of. Some people want others to stay big to justify them staying big.

I had a friend on twitter say to me "hey you might not want to publically mention you lost 6lb in a week" to which I replied "why the hell not? i'm proud of that!" "oh people might be offended" "people need to grow up and get a tougher skin, it wasn't like I sat on my *kitten* and did everything the same as I did"