Diet Pills? Please Help!!!!

Options

Replies

• airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A lot of diet pills are just full of caffeine. So, I just bought Oolong and Lipton tea! I drink them with a teaspoon of lemon juice and Splenda when I'm feeling hungry, and I'm not usually hungry anymore. :D
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all very all ur comments and suggestions have helped me... I know I can walk to help me lose it thats a + but my dr told me to stay away from treadmills, stairs, aerobics I have had 2 surgeries and need them on both of my knees again so my knees are pretty bad off right now. I can swim walk and do stationed bike but dont have access to a stationed bike or swimming. I have been sticking to my calorie thing everyday and have lost a few pounds already. If there is any suggestions on any types of cardio exercise I can do other then walking please let me know and again thank you everyone for ur input.

Yoga and pilates are great overall exercise things for people. Bodyweight exercises and weights can help get the blood moving, if done with little rest in between.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if there are anything out there I can take that could help me lose weight along with eating right since I dont get much exercise due to knee injuries? My problem is I have High Blood Pressure so a lot says I can not take them but maybe someone has suggestions?

I would think water aerobics would be low impact... just an idea... but I am not sure about diet pills but I am thinking Sensa may be useful.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Short answer: No. Just stick to your calorie goals and low-impact exercise (walking, swimming) and be patient.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all very all ur comments and suggestions have helped me... I know I can walk to help me lose it thats a + but my dr told me to stay away from treadmills, stairs, aerobics I have had 2 surgeries and need them on both of my knees again so my knees are pretty bad off right now. I can swim walk and do stationed bike but dont have access to a stationed bike or swimming. I have been sticking to my calorie thing everyday and have lost a few pounds already. If there is any suggestions on any types of cardio exercise I can do other then walking please let me know and again thank you everyone for ur input.

I have really bad knees as well. Try adding in some yoga to your walking. I have to modify some things, but it will help strengthen your leg muscles, which will aid in making you knees stronger. I was told I'd never run again, but am now running 5ks. I started by walking, then walking more, then walking even more, then walking and swimming (my gym is 1.6 miles away, and they have a super awesome pool, so I go there), then added some light jogging. I'm really slow because of the atrophy caused by my knees, but you never know what'll happen if you stick with it! (oh, and while I can run and swim and walk and everything, a) I still have to take stairs one at a time because stairs just suck with bad knees, b) I can't run or walk on treadmills without feeling like I'm going to die and c) I nearly fall off elliptical machines because of balance issues with my knees)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Crap, I forgot to add. Try Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown. It's an awesome workout, and easy to modify if you can't do something due to your knees.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Walking is vastly underrated. Its amazingly good. Stick to a healthy smallish deficit above your BMR and below your TDEE and do your walking. You will lose the weight and your fitness will increase. Nourish your body with calorie dense foods and get enough sleep.

You don't have to suffer, starve, fork out a heap of money to the corrupt weight loss industry, or do punishing cardio routines to lose weight.

<3 good luck you can do this.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my hips and I have found that swimming really helps. I am able to lap swim, but even just water walking, low impact water aerobics or even just treading water will at least get you moving.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Go see your Dr. There are pills that they can give you that will not affect the HBP. Also, with the PCOS there are meds you can be given to help you lose. I have insulin resistance (which is close to PCOS as far as how it affects the body) and HBP. I got meds from my Dr. I only took the appetite suppressant for 2 weeks. I couldn't sleep and it wired me up so no more of that. The other has helped me lose about 85 lbs in 6 months so it is certainly helping.

I did a quick look at your diary and with HBP you really need to get in more fruits and veggies and cut down on fast food and processed foods (lunch meats, etc.). It is really hard but can be done. I used to eat fast food every day. Not joking, I didn't want to cook for just me so went through a drive thru on the way home from work every night. Now I don't eat it at all. I haven't in 6 months. My BP is below normal now with half the meds that I was on in Nov. It gets much lower and I get off all of them. All as in I was on 4 at one time just to get to the high end of normal.

Lots of veggies, fruits, lean meats and watch your carbs. With PCOS you need to keep those in check (most sites I see say under 125 net my MD says under 75 net). BTW -- I lost the first 79 lbs with not one bit of exercise. I just added that a few weeks ago to get a boost and to get fit and not just lose weight.

You can do it without exercise and appetite suppressants. But go see your MD. If he can't help have him refer you to a bariatric Dr. Mine has changed my life for the better.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I take Braggs apple cider vinegar (Google it for weight loss and it will list a bunch of things it helps) I also take L-carnitine.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I would stay clear of any pills they are not good for you.

I afraid I disagree with this. Some pills would be good for you indeed. I wouldn't go for ones tha are labelled as diet pills as these are more about selling the word DIET, and they have less of the Key ingredients you would need. Personally I would recommend taking green tea extract, omega 3 oils and sesamin. You should be able to take all 3 with high BP.

Remember nothing is a substitute for good diet and exercise. I have very bad knee trouble and there is plenty of exercise I do. Do not use it as a excuse :).

You cannot take Green Tea Extract with HBP...it will send your numbers through the roof!!!

To the OP:

Stear clear of the pills and do things the good old way. If your knees are bad you can swim and aquasize without putting any strain on them. Also as you drop weight you may find that your knees will get better and you can work them more. You can also lift weights selectively with bad knees.

Do not try any pills without you physicians ok. I tried Green Tea Extract and it spiked my bp huge and took over a week to get back down...so not a good thing!
  • Raven_Blackblade
    Options
    The main reason that diet pills work is because of caffeine. With high blood pressure caffeine will just make it worse.
    You need to talk to your healthcare provider perhaps about vitamins instead. If you are taking medication you will want to discuss with him/her about possible side effects that can come about from certain vitamins, and which ones you should avoid.

Diet pills in this day and age (Relacore, Leptoprin, Estrin-D, Stacker-3, ect) are not good for you. The company that makes the first 3 is down right evil. Those pills are really no more than powdered snake oil with the last 3 being full of caffeine.

I'm sorry hun, but all it is going to take is determination, patience, and hard work. I understand your knee problem, but that doesnt mean that you cant do PT! Walking on a treadmill even for 30 mins a day is something. Stationary bikes are also really good too. There is also the weight machine, work your upper body, get those muscles burning!!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Because you have high blood pressure, please do not take anything at all without consulting your Doctor. If you're taking medication, it could interact with it!!!

If you want to exercise, the best thing would be for you to find a swimming pool. Low impact on your knee. It's how I got ready and recovered from knee surgery.I joined a water aerobics class at my gym. I went at my own pace. It really helped. You could do it on your own though. I'm surprised your Doctor didn't suggest it.
  • KimBernz
    KimBernz Posts: 6
    Options
    Swimming is very easy on the joints. Don't take diet pills unless you're fine reaping the consequences during your elderly ages. Diet pills are often referred to as "cheating."
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ask your DR for something
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options

I recommend boxing for upper body exercise. You really just need to get your heart rate up, and shadowboxing does that well. The boxing i do is incorporated into other videos, but you could probably do some googling and find an upper body workout. What you lose by only exercising upper body is toning the lower body, but you are still burning calories so you'll drop the weight.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I would stay clear of any pills they are not good for you.

I afraid I disagree with this. Some pills would be good for you indeed. I wouldn't go for ones tha are labelled as diet pills as these are more about selling the word DIET, and they have less of the Key ingredients you would need. Personally I would recommend taking green tea extract, omega 3 oils and sesamin. You should be able to take all 3 with high BP.

Remember nothing is a substitute for good diet and exercise. I have very bad knee trouble and there is plenty of exercise I do. Do not use it as a excuse :).

You cannot take Green Tea Extract with HBP...it will send your numbers through the roof!!!

To the OP:

Stear clear of the pills and do things the good old way. If your knees are bad you can swim and aquasize without putting any strain on them. Also as you drop weight you may find that your knees will get better and you can work them more. You can also lift weights selectively with bad knees.

Do not try any pills without you physicians ok. I tried Green Tea Extract and it spiked my bp huge and took over a week to get back down...so not a good thing!

Yep, Yep and Yep to all of this.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I've had my knee operated on twice, have fibromyalgia, and arthritis and ran a 10K yesterday, a half marathon 6 weeks ago and am starting full marathon training in a few weeks. I'm not saying you should do what i am doing. But, honestly, saying you can't work out is not accurate. Saying it's difficult may be true. But pills are a cop out. Do the work - diet plus exercise!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options

I recommend boxing for upper body exercise. You really just need to get your heart rate up, and shadowboxing does that well. The boxing i do is incorporated into other videos, but you could probably do some googling and find an upper body workout. What you lose by only exercising upper body is toning the lower body, but you are still burning calories so you'll drop the weight.

Yup.... I agree with the above! Also, you could get Tai Bo videos/DVD. Also, yoga and pilates for some strength training at home. You might want to look for a stationary bike on Craig's List.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have heart damage from taking diet pills when I was a teen!! I was put on a pill 2 years ago under strict supervision from my Dr. I could only take them for 3 months! I lost 30 lbs!!!! Soon after stopping I felt like I hadnt eaten in years and quickly gained it back and then some!!! So that's why I don't advocate for pills!!