Slightly technical about BMR

Hi,

I've lost about 8kg in 2 months using lightly active multiplier for my BMR but in fact I think I'm going to change this to sedentary as my job involves sitting down and I don't do much moving about apart from the exercise I do. Since I log my exercise, and this counts towards my net calorie consumption, I think this is the correct approach.

If you include a high activity level as a multiplier for your BMR and you ALSO log exercise, I think the system will be counting this exercise twice.

On the other hand, if you move around a lot in the day - air hostess / waiter etc, then I think it's fair enough to have an Active multiplier for BMR AND log discrete exercise periods in addition.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I agree, if you're tearing around all day every day then a higher multiplier is appropriate, then if you do some "formal" exercise enter that and handle it separately to your routine daily activity.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    It's all based on estimates, so it's best to try it for a month and then adjust it if it isn't working. It seems like what you are doing has been working, so personally I don't see a need to change it, but it's up to you.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    It is true that using a multiplier higher than sedentary carries the risk of double-counting, but it can also be useful for people who normally have highly active daily lives AND work out.

This summer I will change my activity level to transition between a sedentary student to a lightly active productive member of society who takes the bus and stands up the majority of the day at work. I will still log extra workouts though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    For whatever reason I need mine to be set to Active in order for the numbers to work out, even though my job and lifestyle are sedentary -- aside from intense exercise 5-6 times a week, I'm sitting on my *kitten*. Last summer was even better - I had to have it set to Very Active.

In my experience, the Sedentary setting seems to be for people who are bedridden or in a wheelchair.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    For whatever reason I need mine to be set to Active in order for the numbers to work out, even though my job and lifestyle are sedentary -- aside from intense exercise 5-6 times a week, I'm sitting on my *kitten*. Last summer was even better - I had to have it set to Very Active.

In my experience, the Sedentary setting seems to be for people who are bedridden or in a wheelchair.

This. Seriously, I have to be set at "very active" to get close to the amount of calories I eat daily to maintain. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    You have common sense :)

I was sedentary and I haven't changed my activity level, but I'm moving around a lot more, hence I have more exercise cals. It works out to be about the next activity level, which is about right! So yes, if I went to the next activity level and logged my exercise, I'd probably be over. Though I've been over by hundreds all week and haven't gained anything yet...probably because I've been moving around more in general (even my sedentary level now is under estimated).