I wanna be a runner

Options
So it my dream to healthy and able to run. When I was younger I loved listening to my music and just running now I'm 203 pounds and can't run at all =[ Does anyone have any advice for me on how I can begin to run and build up endurance were I could run? Also is it better to start running on a treadmill or outside? Or do you guys think i need to lose more weight first before I can run again?

Replies

• Nikkin00
    Nikkin00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump, i am keen to hear the answers too
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    C25K!!

Look it up! Best thing ever for non runners x
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k programs. There are a lot of different ones out there. It starts as a walking/running program and in 9 weeks they have you running a 5k. I am going to be starting week 9 tomorrow, although it has taken me longer than the 9 weeks, I can say I went from someone who couldn't run more than a block to someone who has been about to do 2.75 miles three times already. It is a great program!

Good luck to you.
  • sarabeth02
    sarabeth02 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is an amazing program. If you feel as though you can't run for a minute though, you can always either lower the running time or up the recovery time. I'm a terrible runner and tweaked the program a bit to run for 30 seconds and recover for 2 minutes, then work up to the 1 minute. Good luck!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 5K (C25K) and as long as you take as long as you need on each step, you'll be fine. Don't be afraid of walk breaks and don't be afraid to push yourself, within reason - let's not get hurt and put ourselves on the bench.
  • quzanne
    quzanne Posts: 15
    Options
    I also want to be a runner. Last week I had started jogging outside. What I did was walk for 30-40 seconds, then jog the same, then walk again, etc.

For those of you doing C25K, is there a free download for iPod that can tell you when to run/walk/etc? I have used the stop watch on my phone, but I would rather hear someone telling me what to do and when.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    C25K!!

Look it up! Best thing ever for non runners x

Most definately! i've finished week 1 and onto week 2 tomorrow! it is fantastic. i never liked running, but this has made me WANT to run!
  • Atsumi
    Atsumi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right the C25k is an awesome way to jump start your running goal

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • flagator11
    flagator11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I begin C25K in a week. The plan is to run my first 5k race in Oct. Can't wait!
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    I used to be on track when I was in highschool, 10 years ago or so.

3 weeks ago I just started running again. I mapped out a 1.5 mile circle course, and just started going. I ran as far as I can, then walked enough to recover enough. Then I ran again as far as I could. I was only going about a block each set. Next time, I kept thinking "OK, I stopped here last time, let's go past it" and I pushed myself an extra 20 feet or so.

I'm now at 3 miles, and I'm planning on doing a 4 mile tonight.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of couch to 5k right now-- it really works!

I use a free app on my ipod called "C2 5k Free".
  • noahsampeer1
    noahsampeer1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    C25k is awesome! Great place to start.

As for treadmill vs outdoor....I started on the treadmill in my living room because the weather was nasty and, to be honest, I was embarrassed by my body. I was afraid people would judge my bouncing belly. However, I started running outside once the weather got nicer and I had lost about 10 lbs. and I haven't gone back to the treadmill since. I love running outdoors now! Hope I helped.
  • danag1967
    danag1967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Go to your local running shoe store and get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes.
    2. Start slowly with periods of walking and running. Look at the Couch to 5K plan online as some others have suggested.
    3. Find a supportive friend or running group to join.
    4. Don't do too much, too fast. That is the number one reason people don't keep up with a running plan.
    5. If you can't run yet, walk. Don't ever be afraid to walk at any time during your running. If you need to then do it.
    6. Increase your time OR distance slowly.
    7. Try for 2-3 weekly runs and a weekend longer run.

I prefer to run outside. The treadmill is the DREADmill for me.

About 3 years ago, I was right where you are. I wanted to run, but didn't know where to start. I started running with a group called No Boundaries through my local running store and New Balance. Look up the program and see if there is one near you. It is very similar to a C25K program. I now coach a group of run/walkers to run half marathons and marathons. I run my races this way and have now completed 7 half marathons and 1 marathon. Good luck!
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been doing c25k also and I must say I love it. A little advice though is start your running outside. I started on my treadmill and then when I thought I was ready to head outside I was super butt hurt. I couldn't push out the same distance or speed I could on my treadmill and my lungs were burning! It was cold though so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, but it definitely shook the confidence. I'm wanting to be a runner also. Something about being outside, alone with my thoughts sounds super appealing to me. Good luck!
  • AmandaRNinNE
    Options
    Most definitely Couch to 5k. I started that program last fall and just funushefmy first Half Marathon today. :) Go at your own pace and you will have success. Good luck!