strength training and lifting gloves

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I lift relatively heavy and never had to use gloves. Lately I am at a weight that really hurt my hands and it make it hard to lift.
I also have very sweaty hands and it makes the bar slippery. I am in a gym that does not allow chalk.

In your opinion, should I buy myself lifting gloves or avoid those and suck it up?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You can try them and see how you like them.

I did not like them. I felt like my grip was worse with them so I just suck it up. I have really sweaty hands too so I just wipe them down well before I lift.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I wear them. They don't seem to have any effect on my grip or my strength but they make my hands not hurt (they hurt at lower weights even).
  • medlicott68
    medlicott68 Posts: 35
    Options
    I recently started using gloves. I find they help with my grip, and my hands don't hurt. Just make sure they are well fitting.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I started heavy lifting I used them but gave up on them just because they were more annoying than useful to me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They don't allow liquid chalk either? Have you asked them why?

There is another alternative, you can get this bits of rubber that protect your hands, that aren't actual gloves
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Gloves are fine, just get a set that covers a small portion of the fingers and has a suede or rougher palm to enhance grip if your palms sweat. You just do not want a pair that aid in stabilizing any muscles, you want to work the same muscles just enhanching grip quality.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I bought some inexpensive ones at target wen I started lifting because the grips were giving me calluses and that's not very lady like :wink: I think they were a good buy. I don't have to worry about dropping something from sweaty hands and I feel like I'm not getting all germy from the equipment even though that probably doesn't make a difference. lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Avoid gloves if possible. They generally don't do anything to help, and end up being more of a hindrance. You're more likely to slip wearing gloves than without them, as for one thing, gloves are only covering your hands, plus they effectively make your hands smaller, and the bar wider, making proper grip more difficult.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Chalk: Use it. If your gym doesn’t allow it, sneak it in. This is one of the most important things
    for your strength and safety, so be wary of gyms that don’t allow it. They don’t want you to be
    safe or strong.

--Jim Wendler
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    I disagree with all of these anti glove people. Gloves are great for enhancing your grip in situation where chalk isn't available. Harbinger makes some great gloves that fit tight to the hand but have a good leather palm. These will feel weird at first but as they get roughed up from a few heavy lifts they will start to get a better grip. I do reccomend shopping around and not just grabbing a cheap pair off the shelf at walmart or something. The cheap ones move around on your hand too much and can be dangerous for heavy lifts.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Chalk has helped me more than anything.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have used gloves, but find that I do better without them.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I use Nike fitness gloves, great for lifting the metal barbell and avoiding friction/callouses. And they make me look bada$$ :glasses:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Buy the gloves. I finally did about 3 weeks about and it is well worth the $15 I spent at Target for them LOL Better to be able to hold the bar b/c your hands are NOT sweaty than to break a toe w/ a weight and save money on gloves IJS
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I know there is no chalk - maybe lifting straps? I like my callouses, I never "shave them... I allow them to harden over then pick at them... I just adjust my grip accordingly. Mixed grip, hook grip, find a grip that works for you.As you get heavier - expect those callouses to bear bruises, blisters, blood blisters. I wear them like a badge of honour.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love my harbinger gloves. they dont 100% help with callouses, but they make it much better. i'm also a heavy sweater so the gloves are helpful with my grip when my palms sweat, plus they protect against knurling on bars. maybe i'm a wuss but i need a cushion beween me and he knurling when i'm deadlifting or barbell bent rowling.

the only thing is that they are hot, maybe because the ones i have are leather, but by the end of the workout i need to rip those things off
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I disagree with all of these anti glove people. Gloves are great for enhancing your grip in situation where chalk isn't available. Harbinger makes some great gloves that fit tight to the hand but have a good leather palm. These will feel weird at first but as they get roughed up from a few heavy lifts they will start to get a better grip. I do reccomend shopping around and not just grabbing a cheap pair off the shelf at walmart or something. The cheap ones move around on your hand too much and can be dangerous for heavy lifts.

I use Harbinger gloves with a leather palm too - started using them to reduce callouses - but now that they are nicely worn in they really help me with grip as well - especially when I am doing things like chin ups, and pull downs....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say chalk and then I saw that you said your gym doesn't allow them.

TBH if it was just the pain, I'd carry on without. You'll get used to it and your grip will get stronger. However, I am bias as I quite like the calluses that form. If your hands are always sweaty though and your grip is failing directly because of that, I would try the gloves out :smile:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I found it has helped my grip the heavier weights I use especially as I get sweaty. I tend to sweat a lot when I work out. I use harbinger, too.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I have pink lifting gloves I got at Target. I hate lifting without them! I simply can not do an assisted pull up without them. the pads just under where your fingers are KILL if I don't wear them. Had to use 2 towels the other day when I forgot my gloves at home. :(