How can I "fall in love" with running?

Options
So, my entire family is comprised of marathon runners, who did track, soccer, etc. growing up. They all go running everyday; they're addicted, and they feel like they'll go crazy if they don't get their run in.

Me, on the other hand. I'm the musician of the family. I did ballet growing up. And swimming, which I enjoy when I have access to a pool.

But..

I WANT TO BE OBSESSED WITH RUNNING.
It doesn't require any special equipment, etc, and you can just go running around your neighborhood!

But every time I try (even when I walk for a minute & run for a minute), I have such a hard time, and even though I stretch before and after, I'm unable to walk up and down stairs for like two days. I feel pathetic!

I'm not overweight or particularly out of shape-- I can go an hour on the elliptical everyday and feel fine. But I don't want to have to use a machine or a pool to work out.

Did anyone on here go from no running to falling in love with it? Because I want to know how you did it and how you would suggest for an in-shape, rookie runner to get hooked also?

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I was the very same as you, I was much more into art rather than music though.

My sister ran alot and used to rave about it but I never got it. But as part of my get rid of my horrible lethargic feeling I decided to take up something. I decided to try jogging and followed the couch to 5k programme, I started off really struggling, then I spoke to a friend of mine who runs a running club, she said slow right down till you are jogging nearly as slow as you walk fast (if that makes sense). That helped so so much. I finished the programme and finally started enjoying jogging after I took part in my first 5k race so much so that I ran my first 10k today.

So start off slow and maybe sign up for something to give you motivation, the love will follow!! Best of luck xx
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k!! most definately!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K! Find a good podcast with music that you enjoy and the time flies by.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's an uphill battle, but once you get up that hill, it's worth it. I also started from scratch with walk 4min run one. I've been running for 3 years now and the main reason I love it is because I can run 8miles and not die. It's hard and it's a struggle, but the work will eventually pay off. I've seen some beautiful sunrises that I never would have seen if I didn't run. Stick with it, it's worth it in the end!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh a good point about the sunrises! Run outside, always. Its better for you (IMO) and it gives you the time to slow down and really pay attention to your environment.
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    In the past I've tried to stick with jogging 2-3 miles once or twice a week and although I was in reasonable shape and could do it, I always kind of hated it. What changed for me was when I decided to commit to training for a race, and therefore bumped up my schedule to 4 running days a week. It took about three weeks of this before my body really fell into that routine, those short runs finally felt easy, and that's when it clicked for me. Once running requires less effort, you're able to relax, enjoy being out in the fresh air, and let your mind mellow out.

I don't recommend that everyone starts running four days a week right away, but in my experience that's what I had to work towards and achieve before I started to love it.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    try to join a running group!! I fell in love with running when I signed up for a 5k training through a local running store. Being with other people and having that support and a good training program to follow made all the difference. I had tried and failed at running many times before I finally succeeded with the 5k training. Now I am training for a half marathon and can honestly say I love running! It's hard at first, though, so don't let that deter you. Just take it slow, don't do too much too soon. It really does take patience in the beginning.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a c25k-type program - a lot of people try to do too much too soon, and wind up hating it and not going back - better to go slowly. But, understand that any new high intensity exercise is going to leave you sore in the very beginning, and you just have to push through until your muscles get used to the new exercise.

I used to absolutely hate running or any organized exercise, and only took up running because of a challenge at work. But, I joined a running group through a local store (like sarafil) and really enjoyed the group aspect - it made the pain a lot more fun :-) And, I signed up for some 5k races, and I think competing in those was what made me really love the sport. I had never been an athlete (I was the bookworm/nerd type) but I just love going out there and trying to beat my previous time - and when I started to get medals in some (very) small local races, I was really hooked :-)
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Like you, I don't like running. I've tried it. Tried C5K, just never clicked for me. What I do love is walking. I walk a lot (at least 3 mikes a day). What keeps me motivated is walking outdoors. I really enjoy seeing all of landscapes and plants growing in the frontyards inmy neighborhood. I have also discovered a number of beautiful nature trials in my community.

Running just may not be your thing. Maybe its walking. Maybe biking. Maybe swimming. think about what motivates you to exercise (for me that is being outdoors and admiring landscapes) and do that.
  • Libby0891
    Libby0891 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think a C25K-type program is great. I find it's a lot easier to get through a jog or a walk/jog if I have a training plan in place. Also, I agree with the poster who said to run as slowly as possible. Running is hard on your body and running slowly helps your muscles, heart AND joints/bones adjust. Also, a long run is entirely more enjoyable if you're not gasping for air 3/4 of the way through! I think it's also important to be patient. I did a C25K program and honestly? The first few weeks were just kind of painful and frustrating. If you stick with it, it does get easier. You. Can. Do. It. You're probably stronger than you think you are.
  • Finding_Fit_Me
    Finding_Fit_Me Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do love C25K, but I've been using "Zombies, Run!". I'm over the whole zombie, thing, but this app is seriously amazing! It's an interactive, hands free app with an awesome story line to it. You won't regret it.