Can I achieve visible abs with my post-baby belly? (PIC)

Options
I know that I can HAVE abs, since I already can feel them toning up under my fat since I've started working out again and doing pilates. But since I have stretch marks and some loose skin, my biggest obsession (and hindrance) right now with my motivation is that frankly, I'm afraid my stomach skin will always be in the way of me having a nice looking stomach. I'm not being unrealistic, I know that I'll always have a bit of wrinkles unless I get a tummy tuck, but I would like to know how much visible progress I can make without it.

Will the skin at least tighten up a little bit once I lose the rest of the fat?
Will my bottom abs be visible once they are more defined, or just the top where my skin is clear?
Can anyone who has before and after pics PLEASE post for me?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated :)

IMAG0062.jpg

Replies

• sarahkittymeow
    Options
    I try to find photos just online elsewhere of people's before and after (fitness) photos with stretchmarks but there are like NONE :(
    Unless you're looking up tummy tuck photos which just makes me jealous that I can't afford one
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I can't offer you photos simply because my tummy is WAY worse than yours!! I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn't stress yourself so much. I wish I had a tummy like yours! To me, it looks like you can definitely tone it up and get it in good shape.

Unfortunately I can't with mine, my Dr even told me that I won't be able to tone it unless I get it fixed with surgery :-(
    I used to get extremely upset that unless I could afford surgery, there's nothing I can do and I don't show anyone my tummy (only my partner)... I try and not let it get to me so much anymore, because it just ends up driving me crazy. And what for? I'm only upsetting myself. I have many more stretch marks than you, and the skin is wrinkly and come away from the muscle (which is why I'd need surgery). If you are very concerned go and see your doctor, but my guess is, they will tell you that with exercise you can achieve what you want.

I just wish mine was more like yours and not so damaged.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Well yes my muscle is still intact after my baby...I guess I didn't even think about the fact that I am very fortunate just for that.
    Sorry about how it is for you right now but now that you have reminded me about that...I remember my doctor telling me that if I had my muscle torn afterwards it's not the same as "cosmetic" surgery for the skin...isn't it covered by insurance or something to help you rebuild the torn muscle tissue? Anyway good luck and thank you very much for the advice
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I see no reason why not. I was expecting muscle damage or separation.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    sure, you got to burn the body fat. My tummy is slowly getting smaller and smaller.
    Eat enough to fuel your body, lift heavy weights and if you want do some HIIT.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know what it's like to worry about things.. I don't blame you for having that worry that you won't get the results you so badly want! But I am pretty sure you will be able to :-)

I tried to get it covered, my Dr looked into it for me too. Sadly they saw it as cosmetic (which really annoyed me since my sister knew someone who had just been covered to get a breast enlargement) ... I am very small chested, but would never dream of trying to get surgery to enlarge them and expect it to be covered. Thats life though, I guess.

I just try and live with it now and hope one day I can afford the surgery :-) best of luck with toning your tummy up :-)
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My friend had 2 kids and after 4 months of insanity and eating good she went from 178 to 130 and yea she has a few stretch marks but not noticeable enough, she is toned and looks amazing. Everyone's bodies are different but for her it went away. Good luck, and you look great btw!
  • litrit
    litrit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! you actually really look great-good for you:) your hard work and dedication will pay off. I'm almost 40 and have never had as flat a stomach as I do now!! And I have tried over the years btw....lately I've been really watching the carbs which has always been hard since I'm vegetarian. Now I just do more protein shakes (whey or egg white)n with very little fruit and more plain yogurt, cottage cheese (low-fat of course) which I season well and eat with rice cakes for lunch...that's the only thing I really changed because I've always worked out it may be more intense now though since I'm seeing some results:)
    On another note, I can tell a BIG difference if I have too many carbs and salt:( I can literally gain 4lbs of water weight in a day which can make my stomach look fat...still dealing with that.... but I'd try changing the diet a little too and just watching those carbs, I know we need them for energy but for me I was just getting too many.
    good luck!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I wish I had before pics :-/ there's a current pic on my profile though. I've had 2 kids and was able to get my top abs to come through a bit. Still working on the bottom ones, and since I have some extra skin, I'm not sure how it will go!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby? I know that for the first 6 months to a year after each child it seemed like my belly would never go down. But eventually it does. As you continue to do cardio and burn fat, and as the skin gradually shrinks down, you will start to notice more definition. You may never get to the perfect washboard (I always have a *little* pooch low on my belly) there will definitely be an improvement. But it does take time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'm still working on mine.
  • Leylaos
    Leylaos Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ur stomacch looks fine wish i had yours, my lo 6 months i been working out,eating healthy,breastfeeding but my stomach i still look pregnant, im toning other places n my stomach has gone down abit to what it was ,but my muscle sticks right out like bloated,i wear waist clincher but not helping makes it look like there more fat then there is could i have muscle damage anyone???
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK...I have 6 kids. Loose tummy skin and stretch marks. My stomach is not perfect, but a lot better than it used to be. Please excuse my before pictures..I did not like having my picture taken in a swimsuit.

These are me when our 6th child was one. I had NEVER kept this much weight on and was very discouraged at what I was left with....being 40 did not help matters either.
    Summer2010-2-1.jpgSummer2010-1-1.jpg

I got tired of looking like this January of 2011 and joined gym. Then Jan of 2012, I changed my diet and added other things.

Took these a could of weeks ago.
    4-27FC.jpg4-27S.jpg

You can go to my home page and see what I do. Good Luck sweetie!!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think the only way to make the abs more obvious is to keep burning fat, people who have great abs usually also have really low bods fat %'s too.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 babies and both times my belly got HUGE. I suffer from the same stretch marks and mommy pooch of loose skin. My belly has gotten considerably better and I do have visible abs, though I am still working on that d@mn mommy pooch.

IMG_2213.jpg
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    bumpo!!!!!!!!!!!! need to know! I have fairly "good" abs...I want KILLLLLLER abs...I have no stretch marks but somewhat loose skin and a (slightly) herniated belly button.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    HAWT! you look great!
    OK...I have 6 kids. Loose tummy skin and stretch marks. My stomach is not perfect, but a lot better than it used to be. Please excuse my before pictures..I did not like having my picture taken in a swimsuit.

These are me when our 6th child was one. I had NEVER kept this much weight on and was very discouraged at what I was left with....being 40 did not help matters either.
    Summer2010-2-1.jpgSummer2010-1-1.jpg

I got tired of looking like this January of 2011 and joined gym. Then Jan of 2012, I changed my diet and added other things.

Took these a could of weeks ago.
    4-27FC.jpg4-27S.jpg

You can go to my home page and see what I do. Good Luck sweetie!!
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone who has replied so far...I was expecting some people to be negative but all the advice I have gotten so far has been great and very much appreciated. Also, those of you who were able to post photos for me (including you mlgarcia, I went to your page) I just have to say that was exactly what I needed to see because you all look ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Definitely more than what I was hoping for...I am a whole new level of inspired right now :D
  • Junee37
    Junee37 Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My tummy was much much much worst then yours. here is my before its a side view but still pretty bad

before-1-1.jpg

And here is what I look like today after losing about 20 lbs

after1.jpg

I still have about 15lbs to go

YOU CAN DO IT!

GOOD LUCK