AM I EATING ENOUGH

Options
I'm 5'4, 128 and was recommended 1,200 calories. I've combined this with 30 DS and dance, but just recently I was told on another thread I should consume more calories. I've also recently had a plateau and I'm very confused! I know it's a bother... But thank you for the help! By the way, I'm a mesomorph if it's any help! :smile:

Replies

• KeKy4
    KeKy4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm wonder this too. I'm 5'4" and 226 pounds and I was also recommended 1200 calories. But then I used this calculator; http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and it suggests 1800 calories for extreme fat loss. So what's up? I am losing weight steadily but 1200 a day is hard.
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    I KNOW! I've been doing 1,200 + excercise cals for as long as I could remember, but I'm at a plateau and have been feeling helpless!
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    I KNOW! I've been doing 1,200 + excercise cals for as long as I could remember, but I'm at a plateau and have been feeling helpless!

if you're talking to me, i said "that's the minimum" a good place to start is bodyweight * 12... see how that goes for a month.

No not you... But okay, so the minimum is like the 1,200 that MFP recommends?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 128 and was recommended 1,200 calories. I've combined this with 30 DS and dance, but just recently I was told on another thread I should consume more calories. I've also recently had a plateau and I'm very confused! I know it's a bother... But thank you for the help! By the way, I'm a mesomorph if it's any help! :smile:
    At 5'4 and 128 pounds you are already at a low weight. You're plateauing because you don't have any excess weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    minimum you should eat is bodyweight * 10
    So if I were a 400 pound woman I should eat 4000 calories to lose weight? Some how I don't think so.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    There's a fairly new Board called Eat More To Weigh Less.

You all (well, most of you) should check it out.

You will be shocked at what 1200 calories is doing to and has done to your body.

Check it out.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For me 1200 works fine, and I don't eat back all my exercise calories so sometimes my net even ends up below 1200.
    But not looking at net calories I usually eat around 1600-1800 cals a day.
    You're at a quite low weight now, so I don't think you can expect any great loss every week... maybe you gain muscle and lose inches?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So if I were a 400 pound woman I should eat 4000 calories to lose weight? Some how I don't think so.

Yeah, I agree. I did that for many years and well, it didn't work. I just gained more and more.

** I eat 1200 calories and have for 6 months. And BTW to above poster, anyone can make stuff up and that is what that group has done. Do any of them have MD after their name? Then why are you listening to them?
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 calories per day and always have been and you're at a plateau, what I would recommend is to eat more calories and eat more often. Maybe eat more clean foods stay away from anything processed for the most part. Also, exercise more. Eat more and exercise more! Just speaking from experience, I was eating 1200 cals and NOT losing any weight, then I started working out more, eating more and I lost nearly 4 pounds right away.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    I was expecting to tone with 30 DS not lose weight, but I feel confused now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Well a deficit shouldn't be larger than 20% for most people, people who are more severely obese can get away with a bigger deficit. And this formula has a deficit built in, thanks for your time.
    Yeah, I still don't buy it. If I weigh 100 I should eat 1000? Soon I'll be 90....
    I think it works for SOME people. I think it's a some what dangerous generalization.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    1200 is just so low... If your at a standstill now then definitely try upping the calories. I personally won't try to cut weight on such a low number when I do, I initially lost a lot of weight on a similar diet but after upping the calories, I found it hard not to gain weight again even at the average of 1600-1800. It took a while and a bit of a higher weight before I regained a higer maintenance number that I could eat without continually gaining.
  • PennyS44
    PennyS44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At 5'4 and 128 pounds you are already at a low weight. You're plateauing because you don't have any excess weight.
  • PennyS44
    PennyS44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What I meant to say above is that I am 5'3" and would love to be at 128. You don't want to be skin and bones!!
  • BlowYourMind
    Options

Well, I definitely have some FAT, so there has to be some miscommunication here!
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options

That's just a guideline. It's not suggested you do that.

You should look at your BMR, how many calories you burn a day, and how many you tend to eat daily. Take this for an example:
    If a girl has a BMR of about 1200 odd calories, burns about 800 calories a day, and eats 1500 calories a day. If you tend to eat 1500 (+ half your exercise calories back IF you WANT to) calories a day, raise your intake. MFP is not accurate. They say EVERYONE eats about 1200 calories. I eat 1400 calories a day and burn 500 calories, and that's what I eat everyday is about 1400 calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Well a deficit shouldn't be larger than 20% for most people, people who are more severely obese can get away with a bigger deficit. And this formula has a deficit built in, thanks for your time.
    Yeah, I still don't buy it. If I weigh 100 I should eat 1000? Soon I'll be 90....
    I think it works for SOME people. I think it's a some what dangerous generalization.

no You miss read... I said "MINIMUM CALORIES YOU SHOULD EAT" This formula has been used in the health and fitness industry for decades, and in the medical communities.
    So back to that 400 pound person....

I know it's been used. I just don't buy it. I've also read body weight times 12, and body weight times 8....
    What's wrong with the good ole BMR? What's wrong with guiding folks to an approach which takes activity level, body fat, age into consideration?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You're also more than welcome to read my topic on how to lose weight correctly. It has had over 500 hits, people near the end said they tried my method and broke out of their plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/557201-how-to-lose-weight-correctly
    Thanks, but not needed here.

to the OP: sorry for hijacking your thread.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can be a low weight and still have fat. I am a perfect example of this. It's about body composition. As to the "toning up with 30DS" thing, people probably "tone up" from it because they're losing some fat. It's doubtful that you'll gain a tremendous amount of muscle unless you're using heavy weights. Her DVD's don't really call for that. They're more like circuit training routines.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Not sure about that math but if you use me as an example with a 2399 BMR and burning about 500 cals a day in workouts I shoot for 3000 cal a day. I'm losing weight and gaining muscle.