But I love orange juice!! Is it "bad"?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
I just added 1 cup of Minute Maid oj to my food diary, and noticed it has 24 grams of sugar. What?

Is orange juice "bad"?

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You should always eat the whole fruit and not have fruit juice.........especially from concentrate like Minute Maid............added sugar along with the natural sugar and oranges have a high concentration of natural sugar..........

With eating the whole fruit, you get the fiber along with it which helps to slow down absorption.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    if you REALLY REALLY need OJ then buy some oranges and squeeze them yourself OR just look at EVERY SINGLE OJ out there and compare them. Organic OJ might be better. :bigsmile:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Orange juice definitely isn't bad, but from concentrate or your minute maid/tropicanas probably have a TON of artificial flavors and sugar. I'd say stick to a store bought OJ with the fewest ingredients and only ones you can pronounce. If you have time for the real thing- then rather than juicing the orange (as long as you can handle pulp) cut it into pieces and liquify in a blender so you are getting all the nutrients of the orange
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just looked at a can of OJ, and the only ingredient is OJ concentrate. It did have 24g of sugar, but it's natural sugar, not added sugar. I know it's still sugar and a carb, but it's naturally in the juice..
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I have a cup of orange juice every morning. I look around for the store brands not the name brands anymore. I get the ones that don't have the pulp either because i can't stomach too much of that. You need your energy boost somewhere right and why not at breakfast. I just write it in on my calorie intake because I know its gonna get burned off.
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I'd check out the 'Simply Orange' brand.
  • samantha115
    samantha115 Posts: 371
    Options
    I drink Simply Orange. It says its 100% orange juice, it also says it has 22g of sugar. Is that bad?
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I buy the Trop 50 by Tropicana in the dairy aisle . It has half the sugar and calories and tastes great! 50 calories and 10g of sugar. Just a suggestion:) Good luck!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    :drinker: I have a cup of orange juice every morning. I look around for the store brands not the name brands anymore. I get the ones that don't have the pulp either because i can't stomach too much of that. You need your energy boost somewhere right and why not at breakfast. I just write it in on my calorie intake because I know its gonna get burned off.

Most people don't want to drink their calories and it is not good to drink your calories............

Eating the whole fruit is what is healthiest because of fiber, less calories, less carbs and lower impact on your blood sugar.
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options

Most people don't want to drink their calories and it is not good to drink your calories............

Eating the whole fruit is what is healthiest because of fiber, less calories, less carbs and lower impact on your blood sugar.

Not arguing, but that being said, I think a glass of juice in moderation is fine.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Not arguing, but that being said, I think a glass of juice in moderation is fine.

I wasn't arguing either................

I am just saying that trainers, nutritionists, Doctors and just about everything I read says that fruit juice is not healthy for you like the companies and the media tries to say it is..........