10 miles in 2 hours, my goal is 13.1 in 2 hours what next.

Options
Yesterday I ran 10 miles and it took me 2 hours, which considering I started in January... I feel pretty good about it. I really want to run a half marathon in 2 hours -2 hours 5 minutes (which I know may be slow for some, but it is my first racing goal.) Any recommendations. My current plan based LOOSELY on a million and a half things I've read (picking in a random manner what I 'feel' will work for me).

I've been running 6 days aweek and currently put in 29.5 miles a week. I'd like to switch to 5 days a week running and then 1 day a week (maybe weights or swimming). I'd like to do hill work one day, and then have two days running 7-? miles up to my two hour limit, and the other days easy run days (3-5 miles). Any suggestions? I do have a gym membership, but prefer to be outdoors in nice weather.

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When is your half marathon? Doing an additional 3.1 miles in the same amount of time is a BIG pace increase. It's going to take some serious speed work. Weekly, I would do one long run, 2 easy runs, and one day of speed intervals of some kind - tempo run, fartleks, speed intervals on the track or treadmill... something along those lines.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've just started though. My finals ended last week so I'm hoping to jump start my training for my first half marathon in July!

So I'll just say *bump*, for now.

Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run a 5K race and use that to extrapolate your projected HM finish time using McMillian's calculator.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

Then tailor your training to what the calculator produces. Don't pick a time that you want to finish in and train to that pace. That's a good way to end up injured.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You just started running in January? You have made phenomenal progress. Just keep logging those miles, the speed will come. It's probably too early to get aggressive with speed work.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When is your half marathon? Doing an additional 3.1 miles in the same amount of time is a BIG pace increase. It's going to take some serious speed work. Weekly, I would do one long run, 2 easy runs, and one day of speed intervals of some kind - tempo run, fartleks, speed intervals on the track or treadmill... something along those lines.

I have been invited to go to Las Vegas for the Rock and Roll in December... I'm not registered. Your advice sounds good, and I wasn't sure if I could improve that much by the end of the year.
  • MissQui
    MissQui Posts: 5
    Options
    that is not at all a slow pace. you are doing an awesome job. keep at it!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I have been invited to go to Las Vegas for the Rock and Roll in December... I'm not registered. Your advice sounds good, and I wasn't sure if I could improve that much by the end of the year.

The advice of one long run, 2 easy runs and a day of speed work per week is probably the best. There's any number of training plan generators out there. Personally, I use Runners World's Smart Coach (http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/). You put in a recent event time, when your goal race is and roughly how many miles you want to run in a week, it poops out a plan for you to follow.

Other MFP members have found success using Jeff Galloway training programs (easiest to find through rundisney: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/index?page=disneyland-half-marathon) or Hal HIgdon training programs (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/).

Good luck with your training! December is a long way away, you should be able to get where you want, just need to put in the miles and put in the work!
  • Woolooloo
    Woolooloo Posts: 82
    Options
    Run a 5K race and use that to extrapolate your projected HM finish time using McMillian's calculator.

Then tailor your training to what the calculator produces. Don't pick a time that you want to finish in and train to that pace. That's a good way to end up injured.

I've never seen anything like that calculator, but I just punched in my 5k time and it shows my correct half marathon time almost to the second. Freaky!
  • muddyventures
    Options

Thanks, I have read this, and this sounds good. I appreciate the advice.
  • muddyventures
    Options
    You just started running in January? You have made phenomenal progress. Just keep logging those miles, the speed will come. It's probably too early to get aggressive with speed work.

Thanks, I did start last year unsuccessfully and quit, but this year seems to be sticking... this year is going really well! I think MFP is a huge part of accountability, thanks again.
  • muddyventures
    Options
    that is not at all a slow pace. you are doing an awesome job. keep at it!

Thanks!
  • muddyventures
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I like the sound of the calculator. I finished a three mile route of mine in 28 or 29 minutes, I'll have to look at my phone to see. I am going to try this.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Find a running group that runs on the weekends. Most of them have pace groups. Try to run with a pace group that is one ahead of your current pace. Soon you will find yourself in that group. Keep up the good work.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, you're smoking! I can cover 7 miles in 2 hours. GO YOU!
    I second the suggestion for finding a local running group. Mine has made a night & day difference in my motivation to just get out there and do it. It's been amazing for my self esteem and overall mental health. We have a no runner left behind rule. I'm the slowest in the slowest pace group, and someone always makes sure I have a buddy (and that's a really big deal for me) :)
  • muddyventures
    Options
    I live in an area where it should be easy to find a running group, I think this sounds like a good idea. Now to get over the 'hate to meet new people' issue, despite being fairly outgoing meeting and joing groups is not all that easy. lol Thank you all for your advice.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    That's actually a pretty decent pace for distance. My first half-marathon time goal was 2:30, and my second was 2:20.

What I would suggest for getting faster is to run faster. Work speed runs at least once a week, where you're working on keeping a faster pace for a certain period of time. When I do speedwork specifically to see how my pace is doing, I usually go to a track, because it's easy to count laps or quarter laps to figure out distance, which isn't always as easy when I'm out on trails.

I like the suggestion for the running group, too. I have a friend of mine who I run with, and she's generally got a faster pace than I do, and running with her even one day a week has had a good influence on increasing my pace.

Good luck!